PDA

View Full Version : What happened to tippy?

Blu
2018-03-21, 02:14 PM
So, i already saw Tippy being mentioned a lot in this forum but never actually saw him posting.
He seems to have quite the fame for making OP builds and being knowledgeable in the rules of d&d.

So out of curiosity, what happened to the guy? Did he just vanish out of nowhere or did something happen?

RazorChain
2018-03-21, 03:08 PM
Just by looking at his profile tells us Emperor Tippy hasn't been active for quite some time.

Forums are often like this, I post sporadically on different forums and some I have quit posting on altogether.

NovenFromTheSun
2018-03-22, 01:55 AM
I've seen an Emperor Tippy on SpaceBattles.

JNAProductions
2018-03-22, 02:16 PM
He has ascended to D&D 3.5 Nirvana.

Starbuck_II
2018-03-23, 07:04 PM
So, i already saw Tippy being mentioned a lot in this forum but never actually saw him posting.
He seems to have quite the fame for making OP builds and being knowledgeable in the rules of d&d.

So out of curiosity, what happened to the guy? Did he just vanish out of nowhere or did something happen?

I could be wrong but I think he broke the Code of Conduct and got banned. But that is usually temporary he just forgot to come back I think.

Dimers
2018-03-24, 11:09 PM

And not just D&D. My last (and first) interaction with Emperor Tippy was about a year ago when he offered to GM a high-powered Shadowrun game. He knew plenty of tricks and manipulations in that system, too. He stopped posting in the recruitment thread pretty suddenly; I got the impression he was disgusted with all the applicants who wanted not to create viciously amoral characters.

Nettlekid
2018-03-26, 02:57 AM
"Cast Polymorph Any Object twice then use a Candle of Invocation to Wish for a Scroll to make a Simulacrum of a deity then use True Mind Switch and Astral Seed to permanently steal their body" yadda yadda yadda. I just summarized every Tippy thread. You're welcome.

LibraryOgre
2018-03-26, 10:38 AM
I could be wrong but I think he broke the Code of Conduct and got banned. But that is usually temporary he just forgot to come back I think.

The Mod Wonder: This is not the case. Bans are permanent; he is not banned.

Blackhawk748
2018-03-26, 04:53 PM
He has ascended to D&D 3.5 Nirvana.

I think thats what happened to Ur Priest too. And remember kids, when discussing 3.5 RAW, Ur Priest is always right.

Anonymouswizard
2018-03-27, 07:35 AM
"Cast Polymorph Any Object twice then use a Candle of Invocation to Wish for a Scroll to make a Simulacrum of a deity then use True Mind Switch and Astral Seed to permanently steal their body" yadda yadda yadda. I just summarized every Tippy thread. You're welcome.

Except when describing the Tippyverse, which includes training armies of soldiers to rib through teleportation circles in perfect synchronisation. While the core idea of the Tippyverse works that bit always struck me as fishy. I remember it even worked with a lot of the magic items taken out, but started to require mass coordination of Clerics.

FabulousFizban
2018-03-31, 12:36 AM
I ate his brains to gain his knowledge.

Knaight
2018-03-31, 12:43 AM

I don't see any detailed analysis on the impact of Teleportation Circle on trade logistics, or any mention of the use of magical trap rules to make rapid production factories that don't require material input.

Cluedrew
2018-03-31, 06:47 AM
Plus the presentation of:
[Multiple paragraphs of complex rules interaction and abuse.]

Then you have 20 weeks to punch the god to death.Is just something else.

I don't know what happened to Tippy unfortunately. I have another group where an infrequent visitor is Tippy (The Real One) but I think that is a coincidence. Maybe he had kids or something, no idea how old he is.

Marlowe
2018-03-31, 06:52 AM
Last time time I saw him he was turning up on Spacebattles.com defending Trump's travel ban and having to be told that being a D&D rules lawyer didn't mean he was an actual lawyer. It was extremely embarrassing.:smallannoyed:

Emperor Tippy
2018-03-31, 06:53 AM

I'm not that interested in D&D beyond 3.x and relatively little that gets posted about that here is of interest to me any more.

And not just D&D. My last (and first) interaction with Emperor Tippy was about a year ago when he offered to GM a high-powered Shadowrun game. He knew plenty of tricks and manipulations in that system, too. He stopped posting in the recruitment thread pretty suddenly; I got the impression he was disgusted with all the applicants who wanted not to create viciously amoral characters.

That was a large part of it. The rest was real life interfering unexpectedly.

I've gotten points a grand total of once, ever, on this forum.

No, you generally summarized my response to threads when people ask how to do insane and/or weird things that aren't really supported by the rules. And I tend to avoid double PAO. And you left out the Ice Assassins.

I ate his brains to gain his knowledge.

*shreds FabulousFizban's mind, eats his knowledge, takes over his body, triggers one of his recall contingencies to get back to his fortress of solitude, makes himself a new (and properly exceptional) body, transfers his mind to his proper body, recreates FabulousFizban's body, uses Mind Rape to rebuild his mind without any Tippy knowledge in it, drops off FabulousFizban the instant after I shredded his mind in the proper location and with no knowledge that anything out of the ordinary has occurred except a firm warning to not try and eat his betters brains*

Hmm, wonders how to occupy the other 14,399 rounds in the day.

Metahuman1
2018-03-31, 07:53 AM
That was a large part of it. The rest was real life interfering unexpectedly.

Well, this answers that question anyway.

Also, what's wrong with not wanting to run Amoral characters? I get that sometimes it's fun to be a monster for a spell, but sometimes I just wanna recreate the cheesy good-guy-ness of an 80's movie, with a bit of Blade Runner/Ghost In The Shell, maybe The Matrix, and Dresden files + Lord Of The Rings for extra flavoring.

Dimers
2018-04-01, 06:38 PM
Also, what's wrong with not wanting to run Amoral characters?

The premise of the game was "extremely successful, extremely high-powered shadowrunners". You're just not likely to have gotten that far if you have moral qualms at all.

Metahuman1
2018-04-01, 10:58 PM
The premise of the game was "extremely successful, extremely high-powered shadowrunners". You're just not likely to have gotten that far if you have moral qualms at all.

It's a world the predicates were going to be reliving the mid 1980's, to the point that there are remakes of cultural mainstay's from recent in universe previous decades like Grease and Stayin Alive!, except with magic and tolkine/folklore esque species running around all over the place, arbitrarily different boarders for things, and a whole lot of weird tech, half of which seems based on stuff that was so obsolete by the year 2010 that it wasn't even close to worth it to try and go back and DO anything with it, that also wants to be a martial arts movie a noticeable chunk of the time.

Given that, I think characters whom aren't entirely Amoral could get away with being high level in a highly independent field with out HAVING to be completely Amoral, honestly.

Dimers
2018-04-03, 04:59 PM
Given that, I think characters whom aren't entirely Amoral could get away with being high level in a highly independent field with out HAVING to be completely Amoral, honestly.

So do I, but I wasn't offering to GM the game. :smallbiggrin: Gotta play by the GM's rules.

gooddragon1
2018-04-03, 05:15 PM
I'm not that interested in D&D beyond 3.x and relatively little that gets posted about that here is of interest to me any more.

I see you are a man of culture as well.

I'm going to make a 3.5 base class based on the styles of kung fu. The italicized flavor text in quotations at the top will be something along the lines of "Search within your heart to let out your best kung fu." It will have an ability per day to treat it's level as some number higher by doing what the flavor text suggests. I mean, I want to anyways. After I play a few matches of Mechwarrior Online.

Notes to self (the ones I can find info on... also making up my own names in some cases):
Monkey King (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_Kung_Fu)
Fanged Snake (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_Kung_Fu)
White Crane (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fujian_White_Crane)
Praying Mantis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Praying_Mantis)
Tiger Claw (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hung_Ga)
Eagle Talon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Claw)
Dashing Leopard (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_Kung_Fu)
Flowing Eel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tai_chi) (Tai Chi basically)
Dragon Emperor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Dragon_Kung_Fu) (I'm biased)
Capstone, allow a stance chosen at beginning of each day (or aura or similar)
New stance learned at 1, 5, 10, 15, 20

I'm thinking stances for each one (not multiple different stances, but one stance that you have to be in to use a technique or maybe just that it gets stronger), we'll see.

Metahuman1
2018-04-03, 07:19 PM
So do I, but I wasn't offering to GM the game. :smallbiggrin: Gotta play by the GM's rules.

Fair enough I suppose. I just don't understand this fascination with GM's looking for totally Amoral Grim and Gritty Shadowrun pitches. Yeah, the setting and system CAN support it but by no means REQIRE it.

Sgt. Cookie
2018-04-03, 09:48 PM
I think thats what happened to Ur Priest too. And remember kids, when discussing 3.5 RAW, Ur Priest is always right.

To this day, Ur-Priest saying that I discovered a "wonderful use" for the symbiote template remains one of my best accomplishments.

Emperor Tippy
2018-04-03, 11:06 PM
Well, this answers that question anyway.
It also had to do with me wanting a VOIP game and not enough players being interested in that.

Also, what's wrong with not wanting to run Amoral characters? I get that sometimes it's fun to be a monster for a spell, but sometimes I just wanna recreate the cheesy good-guy-ness of an 80's movie, with a bit of Blade Runner/Ghost In The Shell, maybe The Matrix, and Dresden files + Lord Of The Rings for extra flavoring.

Because I was the GM and thus what I felt like running was the more important factor.

Metahuman1
2018-04-03, 11:13 PM
It also had to do with me wanting a VOIP game and not enough players being interested in that.

Because I was the GM and thus what I felt like running was the more important factor.

What is VOIP?

Fair enough I suppose. Though I'm perplexed by the fact that I don't think I've EVER on multiple websites seen a GM advertise for a Shadowrun game that doesn't stipulate "I want completely Amoral/Morally Bankrupt characters.". and/or "I want dark and gritty!".

Zanos
2018-04-03, 11:14 PM
Well, characters that aren't viciously immoral in Blade Runer and Ghost In The Shell tend not to make it very far from what I remember.

While I don't think Grim/Gritty is 100% required in Shadowrun, most of the books are written with that kind of setting in mind.

Metahuman1
2018-04-03, 11:34 PM
Well, characters that aren't viciously immoral in Blade Runer and Ghost In The Shell tend not to make it very far from what I remember.

While I don't think Grim/Gritty is 100% required in Shadowrun, most of the books are written with that kind of setting in mind.

It's been a long time since I've seen Blade Runner, but Ghost In The Shell you can get decently far along with out being viciously immoral.

Togusa, The Major and Bato are shown that they do have valid moral and ethical standards, and they are all getting along just fine, and not insignificant players.

Knaight
2018-04-04, 12:47 AM
What is VOIP?
Voice over IP. Think Skype, Google Hangouts, and Discord, plus various largely deprecated and forgotten channels (e.g. Ventrilo).

Metahuman1
2018-04-04, 02:14 AM
Oooooooooohhhhhh.

I'd be interested in something like that, I've just never really had a group I wanted to do it with AND the time to do it when said members of group would also have the time.

Mordaedil
2018-04-04, 03:56 AM
It's how me and my group usually do things, we meet on Discord, talk and roleplay with a server we've set up for this and do our rolls and maps and tokens and character sheets on Roll20.

Zanos
2018-04-04, 07:08 PM
Same, most of my games these days are over roll20 and Skype, Discord, or some variant that someone particularly stubborn in the group prefers.

Tetsubo 57
2018-04-07, 07:14 AM

"Wanted: Viciously amoral characters." Sounds like a campaign GM'd by Deadpool.