PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Theurge Advice

AKA_Bait
2007-08-30, 04:20 PM
I'm making a Wiz/Warlock/Eldritch Theurge.

Suggestions on feats to take, things to emphasize, or any other notes regarding this build?

Things I already know:
1. This is not an optimal build. That's fine. My group isn't very optmization heavy and so a loss of power will just put me in the same boat as everyone else.
2. There are going to be leftover levels. Yep. I don't think this campagin is going to go to 20 anyway. Also, I have already burnt one level with a racial adjustment.

Thanks!

slexlollar89
2007-08-30, 04:37 PM
What race? stats? style?

If you can, convince the DM to allow you take Supernatural Transformation form Sav Spec. I know WoTC said you cannot take the feat for eld blast, but my argumnt against them is that Eld Blast is an inborn sp ability (read the warlock class descriptions in the book!), even though WoTC said it isnt, and therefore cannot qualify for Supernat. Tran.

The feat reduces many of the shortcommings of the warlock.

other feats/stuff:
Ability Focus (invocations), I allow it for the entire category of invocations, but only once
the ranged feats (pt blank, far shot etc)

Kaelik
2007-08-30, 05:14 PM
Go Sorcerer Very important. Use Charisma synergy, And more spell slots, and spontaneous usage. Trust me, You are a Blaster. Also, 20 Charisma plus 5 ranks in UMD equals use all wands. Keep upping Charisma and UMD for scrolls too. If you need utility use scrolls and UMD it, or Wands. Blast Blast Blast!

Talk to your DM about using precocious apprentice from Complete Arcane (grants you a single level 2 spell at level one) to qualify for the Second level spells part.

If he allows it then go Sorc 1/Warlock 4/Eldritch Theurge. You lose out on HP and one level of invocation progression. But you get 11 levels of Sorc for it.

Using your shapes. You want to use lots of highly damaging touch attack spells or really awesome status effect causers, and area of effects (fireballs and other such.) You are a Blaster, use spell slots to augment your blasting, use your full round actions until you run out of spells.

Spells
lvl 1 Grab something like Shocking Grasp to apply to all your Eldritch Blasts after you run out of higher spells.

lvl 2 Combust! xd6 and 10d8? Win! (NOT INVIS! Warlock does that better for you.)

lvl 3 Fireball! you pick it up at just the right time to start using it. Spellblast away. Also, NOT FLY. That's what Warlock Invocations are for.

lvl 4 Greater Firebust. Why? Because Spellblast allows you to have it centered on any corner or your eldritchblasts square. Which means that there is no dead zone as there is when you cast it, and you can use something that has a d8 damage die at range. Effectively a more powerful fireball.

lvl 5 Start looking for powerful touch spells here something that absolutely destroys them, after all, you can use it without closing. Exploit that.

Invocations
Least:See Unseen is good, See Invisible, Destroy Invisible.
Lesser:Grab the Invis and flying ones. Then Hellrime probably for use with your spell effect thing, and your blasts.
Greater:Vitrolic for extra damage. Devour Magic, and Chilling Tentacles are both good depending on who else is in the party.
Dark: Greater Invis. Utterdark after that.

Feats, ask if your shaped Eldritch Blast spells benefit from Ability Focus Eldritch Blast. I don't know whether or not DM's allow that.

Precocious Apprentice at first with Sorc to get in earlier. Not sure what other feats. I'm sure you can find something. If your DM doesn't just give it to you as a Sorc I'd grab Eschew Materials just cause it makes sense to be mostly self reliant.

OH GO SORCERER! Sorry for the caps. But use that Charisma synergy. Yes Wiz>Sorc but Mad sucks.

Kaelik
2007-08-30, 05:21 PM
What race? stats? style?

If you can, convince the DM to allow you take Supernatural Transformation form Sav Spec. I know WoTC said you cannot take the feat for eld blast, but my argumnt against them is that Eld Blast is an inborn sp ability (read the warlock class descriptions in the book!), even though WoTC said it isnt, and therefore cannot qualify for Supernat. Tran.

The feat reduces many of the shortcommings of the warlock.

other feats/stuff:
Ability Focus (invocations), I allow it for the entire category of invocations, but only once
the ranged feats (pt blank, far shot etc)

Supernatural Transformation is useless because if you apply any Shape or Essence to it, then you are back to SLA. And if you aren't applying those then go home. And if you aren't applying them as a Theurge then just stop playing.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-30, 06:23 PM
Go Sorcerer

I know sorcerer meshes better with it but the character concept forbids it.
Also, I don't need the flying invocations, I can fly anyway.

More info on the character:

Pseudodragon
Probably looking at Wiz 3/Warlock 3/ET?

The three wizard levels I need to keep. Starting at level 5 so it's Wiz 3/Warlock 2 to start.

I'm thinking of taking entropic warding and eldrich spear since I can already fly at 60 ft. per and can exploit that.

Fax Celestis
2007-08-30, 06:25 PM
Knowing you're a pseudodragon, Dragonfire Adept from Dragon Magic might be a better fit than Warlock. Same stuff, but you get a breath weapon instead of an eldritch blast. Beyond that, the same mechanics work just fine.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-30, 11:22 PM
Knowing you're a pseudodragon, Dragonfire Adept from Dragon Magic might be a better fit than Warlock. Same stuff, but you get a breath weapon instead of an eldritch blast. Beyond that, the same mechanics work just fine.

Yeah, I don't have access to that book. Also, the DM and I are going to reflavor the Warlock a bit to fit better ad be a little more 'arcane dragon' tasting. For one thing, the eldrich blasts come from his mouth.

JaxGaret
2007-08-30, 11:53 PM
Yeah, I don't have access to that book. Also, the DM and I are going to reflavor the Warlock a bit to fit better ad be a little more 'arcane dragon' tasting. For one thing, the eldrich blasts come from his mouth.

I am the DM of record.

I do have access to that particular book, but it doesn't seem to me like it would fit quite as well as the 'lock. There are both story and mechanical reasons for my reasoning on this matter. We can discuss it though.

Also, we need to go over our "reflavoring" of the Warlock, as you did not exactly mention it to me as such :)

One thing to note for general help for Bait: this character has a focus on crafting things.

EDIT: I stumbled on this thread by accident, and figured that I would not be intruding by responding after reading the OP. Should I leave this thread or can I stay, Bait?

Damionte
2007-08-31, 02:13 AM
To be honest I don't know how much help we can give you guys. You have to much homebrew in your situation; and we don't have enough details on what you guys can and can not do. Typing most things up would be a waste of our time just to find out you can or can not do something.

JaxGaret
2007-08-31, 08:40 AM
To be honest I don't know how much help we can give you guys. You have to much homebrew in your situation; and we don't have enough details on what you guys can and can not do. Typing most things up would be a waste of our time just to find out you can or can not do something.

There's actually no homebrew rules being used of importance.

The only thing that's been changed so far is that the Warlock's EB is going to originate from the Pseudodragon's mouth, to emulate a "breath weapon". But that is just a reflavoring and does not change any rules.

To boil it down: help my player with his Pseudodragon Wiz3/Lock3/ET build. That is all

:smallsmile:

AKA_Bait
2007-08-31, 08:57 AM
There's actually no homebrew rules being used of importance.

The only thing that's been changed so far is that the Warlock's EB is going to originate from the Pseudodragon's mouth, to emulate a "breath weapon". But that is just a reflavoring and does not change any rules.

To boil it down: help my player with his Pseudodragon Wiz3/Lock3/ET build. That is all

:smallsmile:

Yeah. Nothing but the flavor is open to be changed. The mechanics will be exactly as the warlock class so build advice remains the same and has a focus on crafting magical items.

I suppose the pertinent details with the build is that it is a pseudodragon so it has SR and flight already. Also, it's not getting anywhere near melee combat.

Fax Celestis
2007-08-31, 12:47 PM
Well, if the Eldritch Blast is emulating a breath weapon, does it qualify as a breath weapon for the purposes of Metabreath feats? And if so, you should get your hands on those like now.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-08-31, 01:18 PM
I have already burnt one level with a racial adjustment.

Thanks!

Isn't Psuedodragon a +3 LA race with two D12 dragon hit die?

It gets natural flying, SR, poison attack, telepathy, see invisibility and dragon immunities. It's on par with a level 5 PC like an Imp or Quasit.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-31, 04:11 PM
Isn't Psuedodragon a +3 LA race with two D12 dragon hit die?

It gets natural flying, SR, poison attack, telepathy, see invisibility and dragon immunities. It's on par with a level 5 PC like an Imp or Quasit.

Yes, except for the see invisibility, it gets 60ft. blindsense. That's been dealt with. Everyone in the party got a template of some kind of roughly that power.