PDA

View Full Version : I need help for drawing Redcloak

Lissou
2007-08-30, 04:39 PM
I'm drawing Redcloak in a (kinda) realistic way. I don't know anything about D&D or even Goblins in general, but the body was okay, I improvised and used the few images I could google. Now, I have trouble with what he's wearing.
He's obviously wearing a red cloak, which won't be a trouble. But what kind of clothes do Goblins usually wear? Is he wearing pants, shorts, pants that stop at the knee? What would work best?
Thanks for any help, I'll post the result when it's done. Actually I'll probably post it BEFORE it's done, and change it according to your comments.

BRC
2007-08-30, 04:44 PM
Going by the direct comic Redcloak is wearing his cloak, some black pants and a black shirt in addition to his holy symbol.

Lissou
2007-08-30, 04:51 PM
thanks ^^ My question was along the lines of...
shirt: sleeveless, long sleeves, short sleeves?
pants or shorts? What leg length?

And I'm asking that because I don't know about Goblins, they might have a type of clothes that's associated with them. i don't want to do him sleeveless and with knee-length pants if it's something a Goblin wouldn't wear, for instance.

Koji
2007-08-30, 05:08 PM
thanks ^^ My question was along the lines of...
shirt: sleeveless, long sleeves, short sleeves?
pants or shorts? What leg length?

And I'm asking that because I don't know about Goblins, they might have a type of clothes that's associated with them. i don't want to do him sleeveless and with knee-length pants if it's something a Goblin wouldn't wear, for instance.

Goblins almost always are relegated to wearing rags. There's no cultural model for them because they barely have a culture. I'm guessing that with his elevated status, he'd be wearing human-style clothing in order to (at least partially) emulate Xykon.

Lissou
2007-08-30, 05:13 PM
OK, thanks
I'll post my first try soon ^^

Yeril
2007-08-30, 05:22 PM
On the whole "Wearing rags" approach, remember that he is not some Level 1 warrior mook, hes a High cleric of his god, in the 14-16 area, who is also working for a Epic level Lich, So somthing preistly and ornate might be considered.

Lissou
2007-08-30, 05:36 PM
OKay. So, what i did was basically looking for middle-ages human clothes. I picked what seemed appropriate to be both "goblin-like" and "human-like". What do you think?

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/8898/redcloaksemirealisticlj5.jpg

EDIT: I inked it and coloured it. Here is the result:

http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/6155/redcloakcolorlg5.gif

Nathan
2007-08-30, 08:11 PM
I think your interpretation of the clothes is good. My only criticism is that Redcloak seems older than that. It may just be the style of drawing, but that looks like a teenager to me. I haven't bought the Start of Darkness - so I don't know how old Redcloak actually is - but I always imagined him the human equivalent of late thirties/early forties.

Lissou
2007-08-30, 08:20 PM
Thanks, and duly noted. I did make him that young-looking on purpose, though.
And I urge you to get Stard of Darkness if you can, it's an amazing book.

kpenguin
2007-08-30, 09:10 PM
As a cleric, Redcloak can wear armor. I, personally, think that he's wearing some sort of chain shirt or leather under that black shirt. Just a thought.

Lissou
2007-08-30, 09:13 PM
True, that would make sense. Well, he's probably wearing it underneath, though :p
I'll think about it for my next drawing, though, but i'm not sure how I could show that.

Morty
2007-09-01, 07:56 AM
Nice drawing, but as said, he looks a little too young. I belive it was said in Start of Darkness that Redcloak is older than goblins usually are. Though I'm not sure, I don't have it.

Threeshades
2007-09-01, 08:41 AM
id also say he needs to look older.
Maybe armor foldy face would do a lot to it.

I dont know if the size is the only difference oots-world goblins have compared to generic DnD Gobbos, but if it is, then i think you should give redcloak a flatter foerhead and a more animal like nose. All over a more monkeyish face.

Here's a picture of the Goblin depicted in the DnD Monster Manual:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG133.jpg
Copyright © Wizards of the Coast

Lissou
2007-09-01, 06:28 PM
I belive it was said in Start of Darkness that Redcloak is older than goblins usually are. Though I'm not sure, I don't have it.

(SoD spoiler)
Well, to explain things fast, the Crimson Mantle prevents him from agin. A year before the story starts, Redcloak, who's about, I think, 45 at the time, is said to look like a 14 year-old Goblin. In a year (well, now, 2, I guess), I don't think he'd have aged too much more.

This being said, I absolutely suck at drawing people the right age. I can make them look very young or very old, usually nothing in the middle. But thanks for all the comments.

@Threeshades: but... he'd look ugly :p. Redcloak HAS TO look cute, and close to a human :p
That, and I'd be totally unable to draw something close to the drawing you posted. Thanks for posting it, thuogh, I might give it a try later on.