PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Best duelist build?

bc56
2018-03-21, 08:22 PM
What's the optimum for doing damage versus single enemies as a single PC?

I would think Eldritch Knight/Swashbuckler would be strong. When you hit, get sneak attack and bonus action to frostbite your enemy, and they have disadvantage on the save, so they'll probably have disadvantage to attack you. You get multiple attacks per round, allowing you a higher chance of landing that sneak attack. You do need at least 10 levels in EK to pull it off, though.

Thoughts?

Better builds?

Blood of Gaea
2018-03-21, 08:28 PM
Do you want to be reliable over time, or to rely on burst damage?

Dudewithknives
2018-03-21, 08:43 PM
What's the optimum for doing damage versus single enemies as a single PC?

I would think Eldritch Knight/Swashbuckler would be strong. When you hit, get sneak attack and bonus action to frostbite your enemy, and they have disadvantage on the save, so they'll probably have disadvantage to attack you. You get multiple attacks per round, allowing you a higher chance of landing that sneak attack. You do need at least 10 levels in EK to pull it off, though.

Thoughts?

Better builds?

It depends on if you are running a module that probably ends at level 12 or a home campaign.

If I was going to run a multiclass build I would take battlemaster 5 or 6, swashbuckler for everything else.

If you just want to single class it there are many ways:

Swashbuckler and probably take magic initiate.

Arcane Trickster and take mobile

School of blades bard just so long as the group realizes you will not be using most of your inspiration on them.

Kensei monk with a rapier, although you won't be proficient til level 3.

Flavored bladesinger.

Hexblade blade pact warlock but the wraith ability might be hard to explain.

Ranger darkstalker as a kind of sinister duelist.

Lots of classes can do it, it just depends on the style and flavor you want.