PDA

View Full Version : What classes would you use for this concept?

Spacehamster
2018-03-22, 04:14 AM
A type of dark tribal witch doctor that are also quite fighty. Dunno if there is anything that really fits that concept? Guess maybe fiend bladelock with a barb dip for the tribal witch doctor feel?

Kane0
2018-03-22, 04:15 AM
Like a shaman type? Wasnt there a UA druid for that? Maybe mix in a hexblade or fey bladelock dip for a bit more hands-on fighting

Arkhios
2018-03-22, 04:23 AM
Warlock makes for a good witchcraft type character, and shamanism borders pretty close to witchcraft in my honest opinion.

Hexblade doesn't imply that the weapon had to be big. It could just as well be a ritual dagger. Neither does Hexblade force you to be a Bladelock. You could easily create a Tomelock or even Chainlock out of Hexblade, and of the latter two, I'd say Tomelock is perfect for a shaman type.

DarkKnightJin
2018-03-22, 05:29 AM
Nature Cleric, Outlander or Uthgard Tribe Member background.

Druid is always a good one for a more nature-bent character idea.

Either could be fluffed to have darker tones and themes to them.

Dark /= Warlock.

A Fat Dragon
2018-03-22, 05:40 AM
Dark /= Warlock.

I think the examples above use Warlock for Pact of the Blade, and also because it uses Witchcraft (Calling on an Outsider/Spirit for power) which many could see as a type of shamanism. I didn’t think they said it because it’s a dark subclass.

However, Nature Cleric would be pretty good, if you found a way to forsake Heavy Armor for Martial Weapons. I’d imagine something like Light Armor, two short swords or a spear, and then nature Spellcasting,

So, Pact of the Blade Feylock/Druid could be a pretty close fit. Or you can use Cleric instead of Druid in order to grab the Ceremony Spell.

Spacehamster
2018-03-22, 05:45 AM
I think the examples above use Warlock for Pact of the Blade, and also because it uses Witchcraft (Calling on an Outsider/Spirit for power) which many could see as a type of shamanism. I didn’t think they said it because it’s a dark subclass.

However, Nature Cleric would be pretty good, if you found a way to forsake Heavy Armor for Martial Weapons. I’d imagine something like Light Armor, two short swords or a spear, and then nature Spellcasting,

So, Pact of the Blade Feylock/Druid could be a pretty close fit. Or you can use Cleric instead of Druid in order to grab the Ceremony Spell.

Or blade feylock / lore bard and choose fitting spells for getting a witch doctor feel, fluff the musical side of it to tribalistic chanting?

Nifft
2018-03-22, 05:51 AM
Nature Cleric, Outlander

This would be my top suggestion: Nature Cleric is awesome.

For an unconventional "dark" shaman, you might also consider a Favored Soul Sorcerer who picks Cleric spells that represent "shamanism" and Sorcerer spells that feature "darkness".

Arkhios
2018-03-22, 06:19 AM
Or blade feylock / lore bard and choose fitting spells for getting a witch doctor feel, fluff the musical side of it to tribalistic chanting?

That works. Note also, that bard's spell list has a huge amount of similarities with the druid's spell list.

Also, tribal drums is a thing. Chanting is certainly good, but if you have to pick an instrument, drums are a good choice.
https://liinanblogi.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/siperialainen-shamaani.png

To those who don't understand finnish, the picture is labeled as "Siberian Shaman". That big round thing on his left hand is a drum. Much like this, in fact:
http://www.villilappi.fi/product_pictures/original/21-30-noitarumpu_50.jpg
Again, picture labeled as witchdrum. Laplander (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Laplander) shamans and witches used (or rather, still use) these in their ceremonies.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-03-22, 06:27 AM
I’d go with the Nature Cleric suggestions.

Not to say warlock or Druid or Bard couldn’t make it would, it just easier to use nature cleric.

Though this kind of makes me wonder why there isn’t an Elemental Patron. Like some sort of Primordial Elemental. Archfey is hardly nature related at all, and I know I’d love to make a deal with the primal forces of nature or elemental plane

Zalabim
2018-03-22, 06:49 AM
A type of dark tribal witch doctor that are also quite fighty. Dunno if there is anything that really fits that concept?
I put together a character with this theme before. It was a barbarian, Variant Human with the Ritual Caster feat.

Arkhios
2018-03-22, 06:51 AM
Fun fact: the word Witch (from the Finnish equivalent: "noita") can be translated as Hex. Which sorta speaks for itself as the warlock.

Spacehamster
2018-03-22, 07:26 AM
I’d go with the Nature Cleric suggestions.

Not to say warlock or Druid or Bard couldn’t make it would, it just easier to use nature cleric.

Though this kind of makes me wonder why there isn’t an Elemental Patron. Like some sort of Primordial Elemental. Archfey is hardly nature related at all, and I know I’d love to make a deal with the primal forces of nature or elemental plane

Nature cleric lacks extra attack tho which does not fit well with fighty witchdoctor. :)

nickl_2000
2018-03-22, 07:29 AM
Nature cleric lacks extra attack tho which does not fit well with fighty witchdoctor. :)

Level 6 Hexblade/ Level 14 Divine Sold Sorcerer with Outsider or Far traveler background? You would have to flavour some but it would likely fit your need to both casting and fighty. Then make sure all your armor and shields are made of bone and you are good to go

JellyPooga
2018-03-22, 07:56 AM
As always, if in doubt as to what Class(es) to use for a concept, go Bard. It's a "one size fits all" kind of Class.

To break it down further, the concept of a "dark tribal witch doctor that are also quite fighty", is pretty broad;

- What aspects of "dark" do you want? Curses and Hexes? De-buff spells? Eeeevil magic that causes a lot of pain/suffering? Literal shadow-magic (i.e. illusions)?

- What do you want out of the "tribal" aspect? This can largely be put down to Background, rather than Class, but someone that is very closely knit to small-group efforts can be modeled quite nicely with, for instance, Mastermind Rogue (Help as a Bonus Action) or Battlemaster Fighter (Commanders Strike, etc.).

- How about the "Witch Doctor" part? Do you want a healer? A Necromancer (i.e. someone that literally talks to the dead, perhaps garnering or forcibly extracting favours from them)? A spiritual leader? A weirdo loner?

- How "fighty" do you have to be to fit the concept? A Moon Druid can be pretty "fighty" in beast form, for example, but that might not fit your idea. So do you want a scythe-wielding, skull-faced, blood-soaked slaughterer, or do you want a sneaky, stabby, skulking, murderer, or a defender of the dead, stalwart in his purpose (as nefarious as it might be), or something else entirely?

Bard can fill many of these concepts, perhaps all of them, but depending on where your focus lies, other Classes may be a better fit; Druid, Warlock, Cleric, Wizard, Totem Barbarian (don't forget those rituals he can cast), Arcane Trickster, heck, even a Paladin could fit the bill (they don't all have to be shining knights...). As with any character build, the specifics of the concept will determine the specifics of the build, because many Classes fit multiple concepts.

Unoriginal
2018-03-22, 08:20 AM
Ancestral Guardian Barbarian, maybe?

Vogie
2018-03-22, 08:45 AM
A type of dark tribal witch doctor that are also quite fighty.
Some options:

Circle of Twilight Druid (UA) - The closest single-class to your core concept. Class abilities keep you in caster form, with Wild Shape available for Utility. This character would come from a long line of witch doctors.
Oathbreaker (OR Treachery, UA) Paladin 7 / Storm Sorcerer X - This is more of a Thor-Ish Storm Warrior, a warrior priest. I'd prefer Treachery, because the Conjure Duplicate for illusion shenanigans, but if UA isn't allowed, Oathbreaker will also work - Being able to control wandering undead is also very voodoo.
Raven Queen Chain Warlock 3 (UA) / Totem Barbarian X - Mystical Brute Archetype. You have a pair of independent familiars, low level spellcasting and focus on smashing face with your totem powers. If this character doesn't have tattoos, you're likely doing it wrong.
Death Cleric 6 / Long Death Monk X - More of a Voodoo feel, could fall into either a long line of witch doctors, or possibly a wandering mystic.

Joe the Rat
2018-03-22, 08:57 AM
Naturally, I go with warlock first. Don't lock yourself into Hexblade - Blade pact with an appropriately themed Patron works well. Have you considered the Old Ones lately? I am also a big proponent of Booming and Greenflame as a substitute for extra attack - which can work well on Hexblade (monostat combat)... or any tomelock (shillelagh on your wooden rod/staff/clublike arcane focus).

That works. Note also, that bard's spell list has a huge amount of similarities with the druid's spell list.

Also, tribal drums is a thing. Chanting is certainly good, but if you have to pick an instrument, drums are a good choice.

Hmm...
Mix of banes and blessings
ritual casting
chant-based casting option
light armor default (no full plate, nature cleric)
no shapechanging baggage

Yeah, Bard works pretty darn well. Valor is still my pick for fighty, since it focuses on helping others be fighty rather than just fighty...ing all on his own like Swords does. Grab yourself Find Familiar (through secrets, ritual caster (Wizard), etc.) and rock out.

Not as useful here (as it lacks some fight), but I rather like the Alchemist Artificer as a witch doctor component. here you are less about casting magics and more about applied use of hex bags and talismans. You carry a mysterious bag of tricks with all sorts of strange objects and tinctures, and can create little fetishes for your team to carry and use to "cast" things themselves. It breaks down at the construct, but if you theme it animated object rather than clockwork mockery of life, you get yourself a Large-sized Elk-themed walking shack. Baba Yaga had to start somewhere...
Grab Alchemist or Herbalist as one of your tools, and a second that fits your aesthetics - woodcarving, leatherworking, (rune)stone engraving, etc.

If you need more offensive punch, Fighter or Ranger would help. Hunter Ranger with hordebreaker can get you faux extra attack with a 3-level investment. I'd consider EK from Fighter (particularly if you went artificer) for a little more magic. Paladin would synergize with all the non-cleric/druid concepts, and would give you a little more "blessing" option. Barbarian is good for going wild, but does not play nice with spellcasting.

Outlander, Uthgardt Tribe, or Hermit makes a good background to capture the "backwoods other" feel. If you are feeling most peculiar, Far Traveler comes with a lot of Other flavor, but focuses the point as to being a Curiosity rather than Uncouth Outsider - the kind of treatment you'd sometimes see in European courts during the expansionist era.

bc56
2018-03-22, 05:15 PM
I'm going to recommend land druid (swamp) for a dark nature feel, plausibly with a few levels of barbarian for the combat side.

Corneel
2018-03-22, 06:02 PM
PC or NPC? If NPC, what is the characters function? If a PC, why is this witch-doctor adventuring (in principle these type of figures are have an important role in their community and can't just up and go), has he been sent out by a mentor to learn about the world maybe?

Also remember that a witch doctor is not a witch-like doctor person but rather someone who cures people affected by witchcraft. A spiritual healer if you want. So are you not confusing witch and witch-doctor?

Akolyte01
2018-03-22, 06:53 PM
A type of dark tribal witch doctor that are also quite fighty. Dunno if there is anything that really fits that concept? Guess maybe fiend bladelock with a barb dip for the tribal witch doctor feel?

Valor bard.
Seriously. Use a drum or a rattle as an instrument focus. Your spells can all be cast through chants or even war dances for the fluff.
Mechanically fits the offensive support magic feel of a witch doctor better than a blasty warlock would, IMO.