PDA

View Full Version : alternative way of adding spells to a class

Krelon
2007-08-30, 05:12 PM
I am working on an idea of a fighter class that is able to cast a few spells. Now, there already exist classes like ranger, paladin and hexblade but in all cases I am a bit disappointed with the outcome (at least with the spellcasting part).

My idea is that the character will not get spells/spellslots as usual but spell-like abilities.

innate magic:
Each time you gain a level that increases your innate magic, you can choose one spell from the list provided below. You gain 1/day use of that spell with the following changes: you are treated as having the eschew components feat and the spell is automatically silent. If you choose the same spell twice you gain 2/day use (three times: 3/day and so on). Your caster level is half your character level.

spell list: (by no means complete)
the following can be taken starting with level 4, those spells count as spell level 1 (e.g. for calculating the spell DC):
blur, faerie fire, darkness, light, see invisibility, magic fang (for fighters who use natural weapons), true strike
the following can be taken starting with level 8, those spells count as spell level 2 (e.g. for calculating the spell DC):
cure light wounds, protection from..., delay poison, bull strength, bear endurance, invisibility, align fang, expeditious retreat
the following can be taken starting with level 12, those spells count as spell level 3 (e.g. for calculating the spell DC):
remove paralysis/blind/deaf, haste, rhino's rush, blink, poison, resistance to...
the following can be taken starting with level 16, those spells count as spell level 4 (e.g. for calculating the spell DC):
polymorph self, stone skin, cure moderate wounds, restoration:lesser, dragon breath, magic fang:greater

@level 20 you end up with 16 uses/day of various abilities (only a few of the more powerful).

I'll appreciate any feedback on the idea in general and on the following:

Are spell-like abilities better/worse than the spellcasting ability of rangers/paladins/hexblades (meaning: the fighting abilities of the class should be stronger/weaker to balance power)?

What are good - but not broken/powergaming - spells for a fighter?

What would be good supporting spells for a magical beast? (transformational class)