PDA

View Full Version : Ranged Eldritch Blasts

Nightshade19
2018-03-22, 10:36 AM
My character just died in my last session (rip) and I'm trying to come up with a new one. I had a concept idea, but I'm not sure if there is a mechanical way to do it RAW.

Essentially I want a Warlock who is able to apply their Eldritch Blasts to ranged weapon attacks, similar to how they can apply their Blasts to melee attacks with their Hideous Blow invocation. It can be via some other invocation, a feat, even a prestige or second class. I've tried to look but I can't really find any way one might apply either Eldritch Blast, or even just "a spell like ability" to a ranged weapon. Dragon Mags might be fine, although official books are probably preferable. It's possible I could convince my DM to homebrew an invocation for it, but I'd rather do it RAW if possible, even if it does involce some cheese

ATHATH
2018-03-22, 11:09 AM
Why not just refluff your normal eldritch blasts as magical arrows or something?

Even if there was a ranged version of Hideous Blow, why would you take it? You'd be losing the advantage of your Eldritch Blasts being touch attacks (a.k.a. always hitting unless you roll a 1) in exchange for... what, 1d8 plus an ability modifier extra damage?

A relevant excerpt from The New Warlock Handbook (here's a link to it, if you're interested: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?252715-The-New-Warlock-Handbook-3-5-WIP):

Hideous Blow (CArc, active): Your melee attacks channel your Eldritch Blast. Congratulations: you're now no longer making touch attacks, are still only making a single attack, are restricted to melee range, and all you're getting out of it is the base weapon damage you'd normally get. With Concentration checks to avoid attacks of opportunity being as easy as they are, this somehow manages to be worse than simply using an unshaped Eldritch Blast at point blank. As many have said before me, Hideous Blow blows hideously.

Zaq
2018-03-22, 11:41 AM
Would Bloodstorm Blade work with Hideous Blow? Pretty sure it wouldn’t work with Eldritch Glaive because that’s not technically a weapon (though if it does work, it’s hilarious), but I think you could make Hideous Blow work.

“Make it work” in the sense of it being legal, not in the sense of it being a smart use for one’s actions, of course.

frogglesmash
2018-03-22, 12:00 PM
You could always refluff a warlock's scepter as a bow and use that.

RaiKirah
2018-03-22, 12:16 PM
Would Bloodstorm Blade work with Hideous Blow? Pretty sure it wouldn’t work with Eldritch Glaive because that’s not technically a weapon (though if it does work, it’s hilarious), but I think you could make Hideous Blow work.

“Make it work” in the sense of it being legal, not in the sense of it being a smart use for one’s actions, of course.
Pretty sure this would work.

You might also be able to combine Eldritch Claws, Detach, and Bloodstorm Blade to throw your hand at someone. Might also need Beast Strike and Drunken Master though... The Disembodied Hand invocation could take the place of Detach, though it would be slightly less badass

Could also combine Eldritch Claws with Beast Strike and Ring the Golden Bell to get ranged Eldritch Blast damage 1 + WIS times a day

Edit (avoiding double post): Bonus points for using Disembodied hand as an improvised weapon if you can get yourself an elemental subtype and pick up the feat Final Strike. One in four (or one in twenty with Drunken Master) chance the hand explodes on impact :)