PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Which Domain - theorycrafting

ZorroGames
2018-03-22, 12:05 PM
Just thinking about a Multiclass design. Like the idea of a Cleric 1-2/Wizard 18 build but one of the first choices would be What Cleric Domain to go with?

For now I am only thinking about what clerical domains work best with a “generic wizard” situation. What tradition can dramatically change the synergy.

But what Clerical Domain is your selection if you are not sure what arcane tradition you will select?

Knowledge for skills and mind games?
Life for healing (Especially self) and heavy armor?
Light for blasting?
Nature for animal encounters and heavy armor?
Tempest for thunder/lightning, martial weapons, and heavy armor?
Trickery for sneaky stuff?
War Domain for heavy armor, martial weapns, and offense/defense spells?
Arcana for more cantrips and spells early on?
Forge for heavy armor and making stuff?
Grave for creepy life and death stuff?

What Arcane Tradition works best with which each Domain is an obvious follow-on so I know people will go there...

Just for blue sky designing what are your thoughts?

bc56
2018-03-22, 12:07 PM
I recommend Forge, for the free +1 armor.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-03-22, 01:02 PM
Personally I would go either tempest, or life. Tempest gets to maximize thunder damage, and gets a essentially free attack against other creatures. Life gets bless and bonuses to healing. Both get heavy armor which can make your acquaintance super nice for a wizard.

ChainsawFlwrcld
2018-03-22, 01:05 PM
I chose Knowledge Domain Level 2 and then a Bladesinger armed with utility spells Slow, Haste. I loved playing that one.

Thunderbird
2018-03-22, 04:23 PM
With Knowledge domain you get expertise with 2 knowledge skills of your choice, that would be a nice thematic fit for every Wizard.

Platypusbill
2018-03-22, 04:33 PM
Knowledge Cleric + Divination Wizard is a nice fit thematically.

Also, the combination of Channel Divinity: Knowledge of the Ages + the Wizard's Fabricate spell lets you create basically any nonmagical item. The former grants any skill or tool proficiency for 10 mins, and the latter lets you create objects over the course of 10 mins (complex items require relevant tool proficiency). Probably not useful on a frequent basis, and you still require materials, but very flavourful.

A Fat Dragon
2018-03-22, 05:15 PM
I know you aren’t looking for a Wizard class (most likely), but why not try Theurgy Wizard 20? I know you are going for multi class, but Theurgy Wizard 18/Diff Class 1-2 could be an interesting build. Heck, you could do Theurgy Wizard 18/Cleric. That could be a fun build; Choose Tempest Domain as the Cleric subclass, and then something like Death, Life (If you want to heal), Light, or Knowledge for Theurgy Wizard Domain.

Now I want to make a Theurgist/Cleric build. Life/Tempest could be an interesting combo: flavor your healing spells as healing waters or something.

Greywander
2018-03-23, 04:38 AM
I feel like cleric 1 or 2/wizard X is an obvious build, better in many ways than a straight wizard (medium armor, shields, extra cantrips, 1st level cleric spells, and a Divine Domain feature beats out Signature Spells IMO). Personally, I always seem to find myself drawn to the Knowledge domain, because I like playing skill monkeys and I like solving puzzles, so I probably place greater value on extra skills and languages than many people would. I think any of the domains would work pretty well, except maybe Life since you won't get many healing spells (although you can upcast the ones you have).

Do keep in mind that you'll probably want to focus on INT over WIS, and although you'll need a WIS of at least 13 to multiclass, you'll probably want to favor CON and (if wearing medium armor) DEX over WIS. So your cleric spells will be a bit crap, as will any cleric feature that scales with WIS.

Knowledge Cleric + Divination Wizard is a nice fit thematically.
I second this. Knowledge fits nicely with the wizard's high INT to make you the best scholar in the game, second only to a rogue that spends their expertise on knowledge skills. Arcana is another good domain for wizards, as it gives free Arcana proficiency and two more wizard cantrips. Since they count as cleric cantrips, you can grab cantrips that don't require attack rolls or saving throws (Mage Hand, for example). Divination is, of course, the wizard school to pick when you don't know what to pick, as Portent will come in hand regardless of how you play.

Other thematic matches might be:

Trickery/Illusion or Enchantment
Life, Death, or Grave/Necromancy
Tempest, Light, War, or Forge/Evocation or Warmage
Life, Light, or Forge/Abjuration
Nature or Forge/Transmutation

Really, I think your choice of Domain and School can tell you a lot about what sort of person your character is. I often find myself creating builds first, then coming up with a backstory to justify them. Pick something that seems cool or fun and then create a backstory that explains those choices.

ZorroGames
2018-03-23, 07:41 AM
I know you aren’t looking for a Wizard class (most likely), but why not try Theurgy Wizard 20? I know you are going for multi class, but Theurgy Wizard 18/Diff Class 1-2 could be an interesting build. Heck, you could do Theurgy Wizard 18/Cleric. That could be a fun build; Choose Tempest Domain as the Cleric subclass, and then something like Death, Life (If you want to heal), Light, or Knowledge for Theurgy Wizard Domain.

Now I want to make a Theurgist/Cleric build. Life/Tempest could be an interesting combo: flavor your healing spells as healing waters or something.

Is that build AL legal? Is it UA or did I miss it in the PHB/SCAG/Xanathar’s books?

A Fat Dragon
2018-03-23, 09:42 AM
Sorry, didn’t see the AL part.

Theurgist is UA I believe, so my mistake, I apologize.

Daphne
2018-03-23, 09:50 AM
I like the idea of 2 levels Tempest Domain for maximum damage on Lightning Bolts via Channel Divinity and heavy armor proficiency.

ZorroGames
2018-03-23, 10:40 AM
Sorry, didn’t see the AL part.

Theurgist is UA I believe, so my mistake, I apologize.

No need for apology. Someday I may run a AL like campaign so it is domething I will examine in UA. Always appreciate ideas!

ZorroGames
2018-03-23, 10:44 AM
I like the idea of 2 levels Tempest Domain for maximum damage on Lightning Bolts via Channel Divinity and heavy armor proficiency.

LOL, I know. Snap, Crackle, Pop! But before I commit to such a multiclass for one of my Mountain Dwarfs I am looking to explore the possibilities.

Now if we just has a square or circular AOE lightning spell like a friend created in OD&D in 1974... Muhahahaha!