PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Ranger Build Help

Raze
2018-03-23, 06:46 AM
So this is my first time ever playing DnD and I want to make the most out of it.
I'm currently 3rd level Ranger and am wondering if there are any Archery builds that are really fun to play.
btw My DM has limited us to using the PHB and Psionics books as those are the only two he owns other than the DM guide and Monster Manual.
Thanks in advance.

retaliation08
2018-03-23, 07:55 AM
Sounds like your DM is limitting you to the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm) with the exception of the Unearthed Arcana material there. You can give the available material a good gander at that site.

Archer builds are very feat intensive, but many of the good ranged feats are still available to you in the SRD!

A Up the Walls Psionic feat is always fun if you would enjoy running up the walls while shooting arrows, but it may be too late to qualify for the many prereqs.

Nifft
2018-03-23, 08:22 AM
Is it important to you to stay pure Ranger, or would you like advice about mixing in other classes to get more powerful?

Ranger 2 / Psion 4 / Slayer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm) 10

Any Psion type is fine, so pick something that appeals to you. Nomad, Shaper, and Seer all seem like good matches for an archer.

At level 3, you might look like...

Race: Human
Stats: high Dex and Int, decent Con and Str, you want 13 Wis for feats but if you don't have it that's fine, no Charisma (ugly and proud)

Feats:
- L1: Point Blank Shot
- Human Bonus: Precise Shot
- Ranger 1 Bonus: Track
- Ranger 2 Bonus: Rapid Shot
- L3: Speed of Thought [Psionic] <-- if you don't have Wis 13 then just pick a different feat here
- Psion 1 Bonus: Psicrystal Affinity [Psionic]

Psion powers (all level 1):
- Bolt
- Entangling Ectoplasm
- open choice: maybe Call to Mind or Empathy or Detect Psionics, or a discipline power (Psi Minor Creation is fantastic, for example)

Darrin
2018-03-23, 08:27 AM
I'm currently 3rd level Ranger and am wondering if there are any Archery builds that are really fun to play.
btw My DM has limited us to using the PHB and Psionics books as those are the only two he owns other than the DM guide and Monster Manual.
Thanks in advance.

Ouch. Archery with just the PHB... that could be painful.

Can you ask your DM if official WotC online sources are allowable? That might help a little. When you say "Psionics books", do you mean just the Expanded Psionics Handbook (XPH), or do you mean XPH + Complete Psionic?

One of the best way to do archery with a ranger is a Swift Hunter build. However, to do that you'll need access to Complete Adventurer and Complete Scoundrel.

Without getting into psionics... I'd recommend Ranger 4/Fighter 4. Pick up Weapon Focus/Weapon Specialization. From there, you can continue as Ranger, or go into the Horizon Walker prestige class.

If the Unearthed Arcana section of the SRD is available, then dipping Barbarian 1 for Whirling Frenzy would be good for an archer.

If you want to try mixing archery with psionics, then Ranger 3/Psychic Warrior 2 or Ranger 3/Ardent 2 would be a decent entry into the Slayer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/slayer.htm) prestige class. Psionics advice really isn't one of my strong suits.

Karl Aegis
2018-03-23, 08:42 AM
First things first:

Do you find yourself shooting into melee?

If yes, do you shoot into melee for the evils or because you genuinely think your melee combatants can't handle themselves?

Telonius
2018-03-23, 09:22 AM
Important question, considering the limited sources available: Will your DM be enforcing the Multiclass XP Penalty (and if so, what Race are you)?

It's one of the most common things to houserule away. There are many, many posts around here as to why it's a horrible idea to include in a game. The general gist of them is that it can seriously hurt the options of martial classes (who need the flexibility) and does nothing to contain the power of casters (who - especially in a Core environment - are more powerful than martials just staying in a single class without even getting into Prestige Classes).

Just in general, archery is one of those things that needs as much help as it can get. You don't have as many ways to increase damage (like Fighters can with Power Attack), especially in Core. The usual way to get around this is to heap on as much bonus damage as you can, either through Sneak Attack (if you're a Rogue), or some other source (Ranger's Favored Enemy, Scout's Skirmish [sadly unavailable to you], whatever magic enhancements you can manage).

There is a Prestige Class in the DMG called "Arcane Archer." Ignore it; it is a trap that will leave you less powerful than if you'd stayed a Ranger. A decent PrC in the sources you have available: Horizon Walker. The terrain bonuses always apply, whether or not you're actually in the terrain mentioned. The bonuses to attack and damage are Insight bonuses, and stack with your Favored Enemy bonuses and several other common Core buffs.

One item that can really help an archery build is Hank's Energy Bow. The official stats from Wizards of the Coast are here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a). It's a pricey item - you won't be getting it until mid-levels if the DM allows it at all - but if you can convince your DM to allow it, it will really help you out.

One feat that could help you out (when you qualify) is Greater Manyshot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#greaterManyshot). It's in the Psionics section, but it's a General feat that anyone who qualifies can take whether or not they're a Psionic character. The key thing about the feat is that your precision damage applies to each arrow you shoot when you use Manyshot, not just the first one. Precision Damage refers to things like Sneak Attack (and a few other things not available to you). Some DMs interpret Favored Enemy bonuses as being included as Precision Damage. (This is mainly due to some ambiguous wording when they updated the system from 3.0 to 3.5). If you do end up getting any sneak attack, or if your DM rules that Favored Enemy is precision damage, then this feat is very important. If not, it's still useful, in that you can fire at more than just one enemy when you Manyshot.

Seharvepernfan
2018-03-23, 11:06 AM
So this is my first time ever playing DnD and I want to make the most out of it.
Thanks in advance.

I would caution against taking fighter levels to get better at archery, because you'd lose your valuable skill points and class abilities. Rogues do more damage via sneak attacks than rangers can, and if you have a party member cast greater invisibility on you, you'll likely be doing sneak attack with every shot (if within 30ft). Outside of that, the ranger is indeed the best core archer. You have the skill points/class skills to make it work. Climb/Jump/Listen/Spot are great for archers; max them (look for items that increase your spot in particular, like eyes of the eagle). Try to get to places that your enemies can't, then start shooting. Longstrider is a good spell for you, and if you ever decide to take mounted combat/archery and make your animal companion a horse, it will work on them too due to the share spells ability. Mounted Archery is great if you can actually use your mount in the dungeon, otherwise it's almost useless.

Point blank shot, rapid shot, precise shot, far shot, manyshot, quick draw, improved precise shot, longbow focus, improved critical (longbow), power attack, cleave, combat reflexes are the feats I would take, but you can't get all of them. It's good to be able to fight in melee should that ever be necessary, and if you ever do, grab a two-handed reach weapon (power attack, cleave, combat reflexes if this is your intention, otherwise stick to the archery ones). Note that improved precise shot also works with reach weapons. Manyshot is great for surprise rounds and readied actions.

Max out dex, try to get strength to 20 (mighty composite longbow [+4] and reduce person). Anything that lets you fly is great, as is being invisible or having a miss chance (like from blur or displacement). Split enhancements between your bow and your arrows. Put enhancements you always want on your bows (like holy or shocking), and put the more situational ones on some of your arrows (like bane or anarchic), and then you can pick what you want when you want it (best with a quiver of elhonna). Look for items that give you bonuses to attack, like stones of good luck or pale green prism ioun stones. I wouldn't worry about trying to position for a better shot unless you're worried about wasting arrows; it's probably best to eat any penalties and take a full attack action. Arrows of slaying are typically best on enemies that have low fort saves (like undead or constructs, who also happen to be immune to many forms of extra damage).

I don't know what race you are, but elves are the best archers.

Raze
2018-03-23, 11:59 AM
I’m a half elf and we have the expanded psionics only. And I just cleared that I can use WotC and home brew items.