PDA

View Full Version : How would I go about harvesting, creating and applying poison?

Stuzz
2018-03-23, 08:16 AM
In our most recent game, we killed some basilisks and I managed to retrieve some of their poison. I wonder how I would then go about making this into a poison that I can apply to a weapon, or otherwise apply it in game. Also, other ways I could retrieve ingredients for poison, craft these poisons (I have proficiency in poison kit), what kind of checks would need to be made, and how applying the poison works mechanically in game (how long the poison lasts, saves that need to be made etc.). I am probably also about to get pact of the chain, and the imp familiar can attack with a poison attack, could this poison be harvested somehow?

JackPhoenix
2018-03-23, 09:09 AM
DC 20 Int check to harvest poison, Nature or poisoner's kit proficiency applies, requires poisoner's kit and dead or unconscious poisonous creature. If you fail by 5 or more, you poison yourself. One dose per creature. Source: DMG, can't look for page right now, AFB. You can also craft poisons using normal crafting rules, but that pretty much limits you to poisons with listed price. And, given their prices, it will take you a long time to make anything.

You can apply one dose of poison to one weapon or 3 pieces of ammunition, it lasts for 1 minute (derived from basic poison, not explicitly mentioned for other sources of poison) or until you hit something. DC to resist and effects are the same as the poison you're using.

RAW, you'd have to get the imp unconscious without knocking it to 0 hp to harvest its poison, but letting the unconscious requirement slide for willing creature sounds like reasonable ruling.

nickl_2000
2018-03-23, 09:19 AM
Moon Druids get some poison options as well if the DM will let you harvest it.

Flying Snake CR 1/8 doing 3d4 damage on hit
Poisonous Snake CR 1/8 DC 10 Constitution saving throw, taking 5 (2d4) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
Giant Poisonous Snake CR 1/4 DC 11 Constitution saving throw, taking 10 (3d6) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
Giant Wolf Spider CR 1/4 DC 11 Constitution saving throw, taking 7 (2d6) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one
Giant Scorpion CR 3 C 12 Constitution saving throw, taking 22 (4d10) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Stuzz
2018-03-23, 09:29 AM
Moon Druids get some poison options as well if the DM will let you harvest it.

Flying Snake CR 1/8 doing 3d4 damage on hit
Poisonous Snake CR 1/8 DC 10 Constitution saving throw, taking 5 (2d4) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
Giant Poisonous Snake CR 1/4 DC 11 Constitution saving throw, taking 10 (3d6) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
Giant Wolf Spider CR 1/4 DC 11 Constitution saving throw, taking 7 (2d6) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one
Giant Scorpion CR 3 C 12 Constitution saving throw, taking 22 (4d10) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

So if I were to harvest the poison from these creatures, and use it on an enemy, the dc and damage would be the same as the creatures DC and damage?

Stuzz
2018-03-23, 09:32 AM
DC 20 Int check to harvest poison, Nature or poisoner's kit proficiency applies, requires poisoner's kit and dead or unconscious poisonous creature. If you fail by 5 or more, you poison yourself. One dose per creature. Source: DMG, can't look for page right now, AFB. You can also craft poisons using normal crafting rules, but that pretty much limits you to poisons with listed price. And, given their prices, it will take you a long time to make anything.

You can apply one dose of poison to one weapon or 3 pieces of ammunition, it lasts for 1 minute (derived from basic poison, not explicitly mentioned for other sources of poison) or until you hit something. DC to resist and effects are the same as the poison you're using.

RAW, you'd have to get the imp unconscious without knocking it to 0 hp to harvest its poison, but letting the unconscious requirement slide for willing creature sounds like reasonable ruling.

If I had proficiency in nature and poisoners kit, would the proficiency only apply once?
Also because of the basilisk poison not requiring a save, how would that work? Should I even have been able to procure poison from it? I assume it would still be 2d6 poison damage

Stuzz
2018-03-23, 09:37 AM

Could I also just tell it to go to sleep (rendering it unconcious) seeing as it is supposed to obey my commands?
Does the harvested poison require any additional treatment to make it appliable to weapons, or is it ready to go?
How long would crafting a poison take?

nickl_2000
2018-03-23, 09:40 AM
So if I were to harvest the poison from these creatures, and use it on an enemy, the dc and damage would be the same as the creatures DC and damage?

Depends on the DM, I would probably do that until it got silly powerful. However, there aren't any RAW rules on doing this.

Note: As a DM I would not allow you to sell the poisons since that cost of poison in 5e is silly high.

Stuzz
2018-03-23, 09:43 AM
Depends on the DM, I would probably do that until it got silly powerful. However, there aren't any RAW rules on doing this.

Note: As a DM I would not allow you to sell the poisons since that cost of poison in 5e is silly high.

The world we are In, poisons and such are illegal, it would probably take me a while to find someone to sell it to. I'll speak with my DM about that stuff, thanks for your help

JackPhoenix
2018-03-23, 10:39 AM
Yes

If I had proficiency in nature and poisoners kit, would the proficiency only apply once?
Yes

Also because of the basilisk poison not requiring a save, how would that work? Should I even have been able to procure poison from it? I assume it would still be 2d6 poison damage
Ask your GM about that. It is possible the poison is unsuitable for use after the basilisk is dead.

Could I also just tell it to go to sleep (rendering it unconcious) seeing as it is supposed to obey my commands?
Maybe. Ask your GM.

Does the harvested poison require any additional treatment to make it appliable to weapons, or is it ready to go?
Nope

How long would crafting a poison take?
Depends on the poison and what crafting rules are you using. With rules from PHB (craft 5gp worth of stuff per day), the cheapest poison would take 20 days. Purple worm venom is more expensive than full plate and it would take you over a year to make a dose.

Stuzz
2018-03-23, 11:16 AM
Yes

Yes

Ask your GM about that. It is possible the poison is unsuitable for use after the basilisk is dead.

Maybe. Ask your GM.

Nope

Depends on the poison and what crafting rules are you using. With rules from PHB (craft 5gp worth of stuff per day), the cheapest poison would take 20 days. Purple worm venom is more expensive than full plate and it would take you over a year to make a dose.

Thanks man, very helpful! :)

Unoriginal
2018-03-23, 12:49 PM
I thought Familiars lacked the attack capacity of the being of which they were adopting the form.

MaxWilson
2018-03-23, 01:15 PM
I thought Familiars lacked the attack capacity of the being of which they were adopting the form.

Fun fact: "A familiar can't Attack, but it can take other actions as normal." Which means they technically are not barred from making opportunity attacks. Not sure how I'd rule as a DM on that one though.

JackPhoenix
2018-03-23, 03:02 PM

PotC familiar is an exception: "Additionally, when you take the Attack action, you can forgo one of your own attacks to allow your familiar to make one attack of its own with its reaction."

Zalabim
2018-03-24, 02:05 AM
It's worth mentioning here that the DMG has errata on poisons. Injury poison can be applied to a weapon that does piercing or slashing damage and there's no 1 minute limit on its potency.

Also, a familiar can't attack. I assume this applies any time an opportunity to attack comes up unless there's a specific exception for the familiar.

StoicLeaf
2018-03-24, 02:19 AM
I'd also just like to point out the RP value of poisons.
They're a craven man's tool. Anyone with an ounce of dignity or honour isn't going to use it.
Goddamn murder hobo psychopaths.

Stuzz
2018-03-24, 07:18 AM
It's worth mentioning here that the DMG has errata on poisons. Injury poison can be applied to a weapon that does piercing or slashing damage and there's no 1 minute limit on its potency.

Also, a familiar can't attack. I assume this applies any time an opportunity to attack comes up unless there's a specific exception for the familiar.

It also doesn't seem to say anything about it wearing off after it hits, but that seems a little OP. My GM will probably have to decide how that works.

Pact of the chain familiar can attack.

Stuzz
2018-03-24, 07:19 AM
They're a craven man's tool. Anyone with an ounce of dignity or honour isn't going to use it.

Good thing my character lacks both of those things :)

Unoriginal
2018-03-24, 09:14 AM

... what?

That's utterly absurd. Poisons are the tool of people who want to kill their opponents. Which is, you know, everyone involved in a fight to the death, ever.

It doesn't damage dignity, and it only damages honor if you agreed to fighting without poison before.

That you call people psyschopaths for that is pretty damn insulting for no reason.

Hell, people used to put their weapons in feces so that the enemies would die of infections. Better that than letting the enemy forces have enough people to keep attacking the next day.

JackPhoenix
2018-03-24, 09:35 AM
... what?

That's utterly absurd. Poisons are the tool of people who want to kill their opponents. Which is, you know, everyone involved in a fight to the death, ever.

It doesn't damage dignity, and it only damages honor if you agreed to fighting without poison before.

That you call people psyschopaths for that is pretty damn insulting for no reason.

Hell, people used to put their weapons in feces so that the enemies would die of infections. Better that than letting the enemy forces have enough people to keep attacking the next day.

There's a difference between poisons in D&D and real life. Real poison won't help you to kill your opponent faster, they act too slowly even if they work (well, there are fast-acting toxins today, but not with medieval tech). They'll only have effect if you don't kill your opponent in battle, and you want him to die hours or days later, possibly after he killed you. Poisons were used to murder your opponent outside combat, by poisoning his food or drink, or applying it through other covert means, and there's nothing honorable in that. After all, that's the main advantage of poisons: when your target finally dies, you're either long gone, or nobody can prove you're the one who poisoned him.

D&D takes its morality from real life, even though they DO have poisons that are fast and effective enough to win a battle right there.