PDA

View Full Version : Ravnica Guildmasters Head to Head

the_brazenburn
2018-03-23, 08:23 AM
I'm planning to run a campaign based in the MtG world of Ravnica soon, and one of the things I've had to do for it is find statistics for the guildmasters. Now that I've got the stats (mostly adapted blocks from the MM and Volo's), I'm going to playtest them by putting them in a March Madness bracket format and making them fight each other.

I'll post the stats when the first fight happens later today. Watch to see the run-through of Isperia, Supreme Judge versus Jarad, Lich Master later!

Naanomi
2018-03-23, 08:27 AM
Oh, modern guildmasters. Makes it a bit easier. I was going to some say we don’t know anything about some (one?) of the original Paruns

My money would be on one of the ‘group leaders’... the number advantage plays out well in their favor in (otherwise) 1:1 combat

the_brazenburn
2018-03-23, 08:31 AM
Oh, modern guildmasters. Makes it a bit easier. I was going to some say we don’t know anything about some (one?) of the original Paruns

My money would be on one of the ‘group leaders’... the number advantage plays out well in their favor in (otherwise) 1:1 combat

Yeah, Trostrani and the Obzedat will have quite an advantage there. On the other hand, they are of significantly lower CR, and don't get legendary actions.

the_brazenburn
2018-03-23, 12:02 PM
Stats for the first bracket competitors:

Isperia, Supreme Justice
Large monstrosity, Lawful Neutral

Armor Class 17 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 210 (20d10+100)
Speed 40 ft., fly 60 ft.

STR 22 (+6) DEX 10 (+0) CON 20 (+5) INT 16 (+3) WIS 18 (+4) CHA 23 (+6)

Saving Throws Str +12, Dex +6, Con +11, Int +9, Wis +10
Skills Arcana +9, Perception +10, Religion +15, Insight +10
Damage Immunities Psychic; Bludgeoning, Piercing, And Slashing From Nonmagical Weapons
Condition Immunities Charmed, Frightened
Senses Truesight 120 Ft., passive Perception 20
Languages Common, Azorius

Challenge 17 (18,000 XP)

Spellcasting: Isperia is a 12th-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 18, +10 to hit with spell attacks). She requires no material Components to cast her Spells. Isperia has the following spells prepared:

• Cantrips (at will): Ray of Frost, Spare the Dying, Thaumaturgy
• 1st level (4 slots): Command, Shield of Faith, Detect Magic
• 2nd level (3 slots): Detect Thoughts, Zone of Truth
• 3rd level (3 slots): Spirit Guardians, Counterspell
• 4th level (3 slots): Banishment, Freedom of Movement
• 5th level (2 slots): Cone of Cold, Greater Restoration
• 6th level (1 slot): Heroes' Feast

Inscrutable: Isperia is immune to any effect that would sense her emotions or read her thoughts, as well as any Divination spell that she refuses. Wisdom (Insight) checks made to ascertain Isperia's intentions or sincerity have disadvantage.
Magic Weapons: Isperia's weapon attacks are magical.

Actions
Multiattack: Isperia makes two claw attacks.

Claw: Melee Weapon Attack: +12 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 17 (2d10 + 6) slashing damage.

Detain (3/Day): Isperia's power incapacitates creatures hostile to her. She can target any number of creatures within 120 feet of her. Each one must make a DC 19 Wisdom save or be paralyzed for 1 minute. A creature detained in this way can attempt the save again on each of their turns. On a success, the effect ends.

Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
Medium undead, neutral evil

Armor Class 15 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 120 (16d8+48)
Speed 30 ft.

STR 11 (+0) DEX 16 (+3) CON 16 (+3) INT 20 (+5) WIS 14 (+2) CHA 16 (+3)

Saving Throws Con +10, Int +12, Wis +9
Skills Arcana +18, History +12, Insight +9, Perception +9
Damage Resistance Cold, Lightning, Necrotic
Damage Immunities Poison; Bludgeoning, Piercing, And Slashing From Nonmagical Weapons
Condition Immunities Charmed, Exhaustion, Frightened, Paralyzed, Poisoned
Senses Truesight 120 Ft., passive Perception 19
Languages Common, Golgari

Challenge 19 (22,000 XP)

Spellcasting: Jarad is an 18th-level spellcaster. His spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 20, +12 to hit with spell attacks). Jarad has the following Wizard Spells prepared:

Cantrips (at will): Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Poison Spray
1st level (4 slots): Detect Magic, Magic Missile, Shield, Detect Poison/Disease
2nd level (3 slots): Ray of Enfeeblement, Invisibility, Acid Arrow, Mirror Image
3rd level (3 slots): Animate Dead, Counterspell, Dispel Magic, Bestow Curse
4th level (3 slots): Blight, Dimension Door
5th level (3 slots): Cloudkill, Scrying
6th level (1 slot): Disintegrate, Globe of Invulnerability
7th level (1 slot): Finger of Death, Plane Shift
8th level (1 slot): Dominate Monster, Power Word Stun
9th level (1 slot): Power Word Kill

Legendary Resistance (3/Day): If Jarad fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.

Turn Resistance: The lich has advantage on saving throws against any effect that turns Undead.

Scavenge: If an ally of Jarad's dies, he regains 1 hit point for each hit die it had.

Actions

Rotting Touch: Melee Spell Attack: +12 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 10 (3d6) necrotic damage. The target must succeed on a DC 18 Constitution saving throw or continue to take 10 (3d6) necrotic damage each round for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

the_brazenburn
2018-03-23, 12:39 PM
Fight number one: Isperia vs. Jarad

Round 1: Jarad wins initiative. Jarad casts Disintegrate, deals 74 damage. Isperia casts Cone of Cold. Jarad crits the save and takes no damage (my house rule).

Life Totals after Round 1: Isperia: 136, Jarad: 120

Round 2: Jarad casts Disintegrate at 7th level. Isperia makes the save. Isperia uses her second Detain. Jarad makes the save.

Life Totals after Round 2: Isperia: 136, Jarad: 120

Round 3: Jarad casts Disintegrate at 8th level. Isperia fails the save and takes 75 damage. Isperia uses her last Detain. Jarad makes the save.

Life Totals after Round 2: Isperia: 61, Jarad: 120

Round 4: Jarad casts Power Word Kill. Isperia is dead.

Winner: Jarad

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b&biw=1366&bih=599&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=hzu1WuLcM-rI_QaTgbZQ&q=jarad+golgari+lich+lord&oq=jarad%2C+golgari&gs_l=psy-ab.1.2.0l4j0i24k1l6.10122.12012.0.13369.14.4.0.0.0 .0.953.1479.0j3j6-1.4.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..10.4.1476....0.FIGGAHHOiMo#imgrc=QIL1_dAeWNc8t M:

the_brazenburn
2018-03-23, 01:03 PM
Is this of any interest to people? I don't have to post the results of these matches on here.

Just let me know if you want me to keep doing them here.

Foxhound438
2018-03-23, 01:43 PM
Round 2: Jarad casts Disintegrate at 7th level. Isperia makes the save and takes 43 damage. (...)

Life Totals after Round 2: Isperia: 51, Jarad: 120

Round 3: Jarad casts Power Word Kill. Isperia is dead.

It actually didn't end up mattering since PWK hits 100HP, but if you make a save vs. disintegrate you take no damage.

In any case, this does seem neat to me. I'd probably make some more modifications to the spell lists to make them make more sense (silence effects, counterspell, and AOE damage [supreme verdict] are definitely staples of ravnica UW, while counterspell is definitely not a GB mechanic.)

the_brazenburn
2018-03-23, 01:46 PM
It actually didn't end up mattering since PWK hits 100HP, but if you make a save vs. disintegrate you take no damage.

In any case, this does seem neat to me. I'd probably make some more modifications to the spell lists to make them make more sense (silence effects, counterspell, and AOE damage [supreme verdict] are definitely staples of ravnica UW, while counterspell is definitely not a GB mechanic.)

I stand corrected. I'll change those parts of the spell block and the play-by-play.

Thanks for responding! Which guilds do you want to see matched up next? I picked Azorius and Golgari at random, and I always rely heavily on advice from the forums.

Madfellow
2018-03-24, 11:11 AM
I stand corrected. I'll change those parts of the spell block and the play-by-play.

Thanks for responding! Which guilds do you want to see matched up next? I picked Azorius and Golgari at random, and I always rely heavily on advice from the forums.

Let's see Selesnya vs Dimir next. :)

Dos246
2018-03-24, 11:20 AM
Huge Boros fan here, would love to see what you have worked up for them. I also really enjoy Gruul, Orzhov, Rakdos, and Selesnya

the_brazenburn
2018-03-24, 04:19 PM
Okay, the next match will be Trostrani vs. Lazav, followed by Aurelia vs. Niv-Mizzet.

Dr. Cliché
2018-03-25, 05:28 AM
Are you statting the Guild leaders yourself, or did WotC release stats for them somewhere?

the_brazenburn
2018-03-25, 07:43 AM
Are you statting the Guild leaders yourself, or did WotC release stats for them somewhere?

I'm making the stats (sort of).

They're really just adaptations of MM and Volo's creatures. Isperia was an androsphinx and Jarad was a lich. Then I switched around their spell lists, gave them a few guild-related features, and bam! Instant stat. Apparently it worked, too, since I fooled you into thinking they were homebrew :smallbiggrin:.

the_brazenburn
2018-03-26, 09:55 AM
Statistics for Trostrani and Lazav are here. I'll make them fight later.

Lazav, Dimir Mastermind
Medium humanoid (shapeshifter), lawful evil

Armor Class 12 (15 With Mage Armor)
Hit Points 99 (18d8+18)
Speed 30 ft.

STR 10 (+0) DEX 16 (+3) CON 14 (+2) INT 22 (+6) WIS 17 (+3) CHA 18 (+4)

Saving Throws: Int +11, Wis +8, Cha +9
Skills: Arcana +13, History +13
Damage Resistance: Damage From Spells; Non Magical Bludgeoning, Piercing, And Slashing (From Stoneskin)
Senses: passive Perception 13
Languages: Common, Dimir

Magic Resistance: Lazav has advantage on saving throws against Spells and other magical effects.

Cipher: When Lazav casts a spell, he may expend an extra spell slot of at least one level higher.
If he does so, he may cast the same spell again each round for one minute without expending spell slots.

Spellcasting: Lazav is an 18th-level spellcaster. His spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 18, +10 to hit with spell attacks). Lazav can cast Disguise Self and Invisibility at will and has the following Wizard Spells prepared:

• Cantrips (at will): Ray of Frost, light, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Minor Illusion
• 1st level (4 slots): Detect Magic, Identify, mage armor*, Ray of Sickness
• 2nd level (3 slots): Detect Thoughts, Mirror Image, Darkness
• 3rd level (3 slots): Counterspell, fly, Vampiric Touch
• 4th level (3 slots): Banishment, Blight, stoneskin*
• 5th level (3 slots): Cone of Cold, Scrying, Wall of Force
• 6th level (1 slot): Globe of Invulnerability
• 7th level (1 slot): Teleport
• 8th level (1 slot): mind blank*
• 9th level (1 slot): Time Stop

*: The archmage casts these Spells on itself before Combat.

Actions:
Longsword: Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) slashing damage.

Trostrani, Selesnya's Voice
Medium fey, neutral good

Armor Class 15
Hit Points 98 (13d6 + 56)
Speed 30 ft.

STR 13 (+1) DEX 16 (+3) CON 18 (+4) INT 14 (+2) WIS 17 (+3) CHA 18 (+4)

Skills Perception +4, Stealth +5, Persuasion +7
Damage Resistances: bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Damage Immunities: poison
Condition Immunities: poisoned
Senses blindsight: 60 ft., Passive Perception 14
Languages: Common, Selesnya
Challenge 6 (2,300 XP)

Innate Spellcasting. Trostrani's innate spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 14). They can innately cast the following spells, requiring no components:
At will: commune with nature, shillelagh, sleep
3/day: bless
1/day: barkskin
Magic Resistance. Trostrani has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Speak with Beasts and Plants. Trostrani can communicate with beasts and plants as if they shared a language.

Populate: Once per day, Trostrani may cast Awaken as an action. This special variant of Awaken last for only 1 hour, and the awakened creature is considered friendly to Trostrani.

Actions:
Multiattack. Trostrani makes three melee attacks.

Claw: Melee Weapon Attack, +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) slashing damage plus 11 (2d10) poison damage.

Entangling Roots. Trostrani can animate roots in the ground in a 15-foot square within 30 feet of it. These roots turn the ground in that area into difficult terrain. A creature in that area when the effect begins must make a successful DC 15 Strength saving throw or be restrained by entangling roots. A creature restrained by the plants can use its action to make a DC 15 Strength (Athletics) check, freeing itself on a successful check. The effect ends after 1 minute or when the elder dryad dies or uses entangling roots again.

Chorus Spells: When all three members of the Trostrani are within 60 feet of each other, they can share chorus spells. When one of them casts a chorus spell, the slot is used for all of them.

1st level (3 slots): Entangle, Speak with Animals
2nd level (3 slots): Flaming Sphere, Moonbeam, Spike Growth
3rd level (2 slots): Call Lightning, Plant Growth
4th level (2 slots): Dominate Beast, Grasping Vine
5th level (1 slot): Tree Stride

Naanomi
2018-03-26, 10:08 AM
How many members of the Obzedat are you using? The exact number is never clear, but the novels imply it could be hundreds...

Arenabait
2018-03-26, 10:25 AM
Hype for Niv-Mizzet, my first ever mythic pull!

the_brazenburn
2018-03-26, 10:43 AM
How many members of the Obzedat are you using? The exact number is never clear, but the novels imply it could be hundreds...

The card shows five, which seems a reasonable enough number to me. I'll probably stat them as five Wraiths with a few variations.

the_brazenburn
2018-03-26, 10:48 AM
Sorry, I forgot to give Cipher and Populate features to Lazav and Trostrani. Is my interpretation okay, in your opinions? I'm worried about them OP.

Naanomi
2018-03-26, 11:02 AM
Populate should probably be a bonus action animal summoning of some kind; cipher is tougher... concentration limit removal after successful melee attacks or something?

the_brazenburn
2018-03-26, 11:05 AM
Populate should probably be a bonus action animal summoning of some kind; cipher is tougher... concentration limit removal after successful melee attacks or something?

It doesn't have to be exactly what's on the card. I just wanted to give them each something clearly guild-flavored.

S@tanicoaldo
2018-03-26, 11:15 AM
Stats for the first bracket competitors:

Isperia, Supreme Justice
Large monstrosity, Lawful Neutral

Armor Class 17 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 210 (20d10+100)
Speed 40 ft., fly 60 ft.

STR 22 (+6) DEX 10 (+0) CON 20 (+5) INT 16 (+3) WIS 18 (+4) CHA 23 (+6)

Saving Throws Str +12, Dex +6, Con +11, Int +9, Wis +10
Skills Arcana +9, Perception +10, Religion +15, Insight +10
Damage Immunities Psychic; Bludgeoning, Piercing, And Slashing From Nonmagical Weapons
Condition Immunities Charmed, Frightened
Senses Truesight 120 Ft., passive Perception 20
Languages Common, Azorius

Challenge 17 (18,000 XP)

Spellcasting: Isperia is a 12th-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 18, +10 to hit with spell attacks). She requires no material Components to cast her Spells. Isperia has the following spells prepared:

• Cantrips (at will): Ray of Frost, Spare the Dying, Thaumaturgy
• 1st level (4 slots): Command, Shield of Faith, Detect Magic
• 2nd level (3 slots): Detect Thoughts, Zone of Truth
• 3rd level (3 slots): Spirit Guardians, Counterspell
• 4th level (3 slots): Banishment, Freedom of Movement
• 5th level (2 slots): Cone of Cold, Greater Restoration
• 6th level (1 slot): Heroes' Feast

Inscrutable: Isperia is immune to any effect that would sense her emotions or read her thoughts, as well as any Divination spell that she refuses. Wisdom (Insight) checks made to ascertain Isperia's intentions or sincerity have disadvantage.
Magic Weapons: Isperia's weapon attacks are magical.

Actions
Multiattack: Isperia makes two claw attacks.

Claw: Melee Weapon Attack: +12 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 17 (2d10 + 6) slashing damage.

Detain (3/Day): Isperia's power incapacitates creatures hostile to her. She can target any number of creatures within 120 feet of her. Each one must make a DC 19 Wisdom save or be paralyzed for 1 minute. A creature detained in this way can attempt the save again on each of their turns. On a success, the effect ends.

Legendary Actions:

Isperia can take 3 Legendary Actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action can be used at a time, and only at the end of another creature's turn. Spent legendary actions are regained at the start of each turn.

Claw Attack: Isperia makes one claw attack.

Teleport (Costs 2 Actions): The sphinx magically teleports, along with any equipment she is wearing or carrying, up to 120 feet to an unoccupied space she can see.

Cast a Spell (Costs 3 Actions): Isperia casts a spell from its list of prepared Spells, using a spell slot as normal. Alternatively, she can attempt to use Detain as a reaction, but only if an opponent attacked her or an ally of hers during this round.

Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
Medium undead, neutral evil

Armor Class 15 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 120 (16d8+48)
Speed 30 ft.

STR 11 (+0) DEX 16 (+3) CON 16 (+3) INT 20 (+5) WIS 14 (+2) CHA 16 (+3)

Saving Throws Con +10, Int +12, Wis +9
Skills Arcana +18, History +12, Insight +9, Perception +9
Damage Resistance Cold, Lightning, Necrotic
Damage Immunities Poison; Bludgeoning, Piercing, And Slashing From Nonmagical Weapons
Condition Immunities Charmed, Exhaustion, Frightened, Paralyzed, Poisoned
Senses Truesight 120 Ft., passive Perception 19
Languages Common, Golgari

Challenge 19 (22,000 XP)

Spellcasting: Jarad is an 18th-level spellcaster. His spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 20, +12 to hit with spell attacks). Jarad has the following Wizard Spells prepared:

Cantrips (at will): Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Poison Spray
1st level (4 slots): Detect Magic, Magic Missile, Shield, Detect Poison/Disease
2nd level (3 slots): Ray of Enfeeblement, Invisibility, Acid Arrow, Mirror Image
3rd level (3 slots): Animate Dead, Counterspell, Dispel Magic, Bestow Curse
4th level (3 slots): Blight, Dimension Door
5th level (3 slots): Cloudkill, Scrying
6th level (1 slot): Disintegrate, Globe of Invulnerability
7th level (1 slot): Finger of Death, Plane Shift
8th level (1 slot): Dominate Monster, Power Word Stun
9th level (1 slot): Power Word Kill

Legendary Resistance (3/Day): If Jarad fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.

Turn Resistance: The lich has advantage on saving throws against any effect that turns Undead.

Scavenge: If an ally of Jarad's dies, he regains 1 hit point for each hit die it had.

Actions

Rotting Touch: Melee Spell Attack: +12 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 10 (3d6) necrotic damage. The target must succeed on a DC 18 Constitution saving throw or continue to take 10 (3d6) necrotic damage each round for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Legendary Actions

Jarad can take 3 Legendary Actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action can be used at a time, and only at the end of another creature's turn. Spent legendary actions are regained at the start of each turn.

Cantrip: Jarad casts a cantrip.

Paralyzing Touch (Costs 2 Actions): Jarad uses his Rotting Touch.

Disrupt Life (Costs 3 Actions): Each non-undead creature within 20 feet of Jarad must make a DC 18 Constitution saving throw against his magic, taking 21 (6d6) necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Why is Jarad neutral evil? The golgari are cleary true neutral.

the_brazenburn
2018-03-26, 11:34 AM
Why is Jarad neutral evil? The golgari are cleary true neutral.

The Golgari in general, yes. But Jarad is a power-hungry necromancer who screwed over his own sister in order to obtain power over the guild.

Neutral organizations can have evil leaders; just look at Rome and Caligula.

S@tanicoaldo
2018-03-26, 11:57 AM
The Golgari in general, yes. But Jarad is a power-hungry necromancer who screwed over his own sister in order to obtain power over the guild.

Neutral organizations can have evil leaders; just look at Rome and Caligula.

That's why I said neutral not good, neutral can do both evil and good, he does both things, that's why he's neutral.

Wait so a militaristic empire with slavers, blood sports, conquests to destory entire cultures is good now?

the_brazenburn
2018-03-26, 12:15 PM
Here's the competition between Lazav and Trostrani.

Round One: Lazav crit fails the initiative, Trostrani automatically goes first (house rule). All three Trostrani use Awaken on nearby trees. Lazav casts Mirror Image on himself.

Life Totals after Round 1.
Lazav: 99. Trostrani: 98, 98, 98 (Awakened Trees 59, 59, 59).

Round 2: Trostrani #1 and 2 use Call Lightning. #3 casts it at 4th level. Lazav fails two of the saves and succeeds on the third. He casts Counterspell on the boosted one. Lazav takes a total of 29 damage, and his duplicates are destroyed. The Awakened Trees attack him. Two of them miss, but the other deals 14 damage. Lazav casts Invisibility on himself and disappears.

Life Totals after Round 2.
Lazav: 56. Trostrani: 98, 98, 98 (Awakened Trees 59, 59, 59).

Round 3: All three Trostrani cast Moonbeam to find Lazav. He casts Counterspell and ciphers it. The other Moonbeams find him, and he is revealed. Lazav fails one save and makes the other. He takes 29 damage. The Awakened Trees attack him. Two of them hit, dealing a total of 28 damage. Lazav is dead.

Winner: Trostrani

the_brazenburn
2018-03-26, 12:17 PM
That's why I said neutral not good, neutral can do both evil and good, he does both things, that's why he's neutral.

Wait so an militaristic empire with slavers, blood sports, conquests to destory entire cultures is good now?

No, it's true neutral. Just like Golgari, which also has blood sports and genocide in the name of undead servitude. They do evil and good in near-equal proportions. That doesn't mean that every member is neatly TN. Some are more evil, or more good, than others. Jarad definitely falls on the evil side of the spectrum.

S@tanicoaldo
2018-03-26, 12:33 PM
No, it's true neutral. Just like Golgari, which also has blood sports and genocide in the name of undead servitude. They do evil and good in near-equal proportions. That doesn't mean that every member is neatly TN. Some are more evil, or more good, than others. Jarad definitely falls on the evil side of the spectrum.

Why? It makes no sense? Just because he's a lich? That's like so racist. ;p

Blood sports and genocide? Are we talking about the Cult of Rakdos?

Undead servitude? Are we talking about the Orzhov Syndicate? None of those things have anything to do with the Golgari.

There is nothing in the lore that indicate that he's evil, I really fail to see what the deal is.

the_brazenburn
2018-03-26, 12:49 PM
Why? It makes no sense? Just because he's a lichw That's like so racist. ;p

Blood sports and genocide? Are we talking about Cult of Rakdos?

Undead servitude? Are we talking about Orzhov Syndicate? None of those things has anythign to do with this guild.

There is nothing in the lore that indicate that he's evil, I really fail to see what the deal is.

Take a look at Varolz the Scar-Striped. He's a troll that gained his prestigious position near the top of the Swarm by killing every single one of his competitors in single combat. Maybe you don't count that as a "blood sport", but I sure as hell do.

Same goes for the genocide and undead slavery. The Golgari are infamous for taking over slum districts, killing all living things in it, and using the empty space and corpses to create new life. The bodies of their warriors are used to create zombies. It could be argued that the slavery is not as bad as the Orzhov version, since the spirit is not taken, but it is still enslavement.

Jarad is a neutral evil person (or lich, whatever) in a true neutral society.

S@tanicoaldo
2018-03-26, 12:56 PM
That's more a troll thing than a Swarm thing.

They also provide shelter and food for the poor and unwanted, that's why they are NEUTRAL, able to do both good and evil.

But what makes him evil? What piece of lore indicates that?

When he helped the entire plane by helping put an end to Szadek's coup by oposing his sister?

Being in love with a member of the Selesnya Conclave and having a son with her?

Sacrifcing his own life to save his son from a demonic cult in selfless desmostration of love and afection?

Oposing undead vampiric aristocracy like the Necropolis Regent?

Or do these acts of good don't count?

the_brazenburn
2018-03-26, 01:10 PM
That's more a troll thing than a Swarm thing.

They also provide shelter and food for the poor and unwanted, that's why they are NEUTRAL, able to do both good and evil.

But what makes him evil? What piece of lore indicates that?

When he helped the entire plane by helping put an end to Szadek's coup by oposing his sister?

Being in love with a member of the Selesnya Conclave and having a son with her?

Sacrifcing his own life to save his son from a demonic cult in selfless desmostration of love and afection?

Oposing undead vampiric aristocracy like the Necropolis Regent?

Or do these acts of good don't count?

5e has pretty much explicitly stated that lichdom is evil. Barring that, you can decide that he's TN if you desire. I'll offer you the same deal I give to everybody who disagrees with me on a stat block. If you can get one other person to second your opinion, I'll change the stat block.

Take it or leave it, but don't bother arguing, because I'll just ignore it if it's just you.

the_brazenburn
2018-03-27, 07:08 AM
Two of the guildmasters are going to get first-round byes. I decided that one of them is Gruul, and the other will be Simic.

Today's fight: Aurelia vs. Niv-Mizzet.

the_brazenburn
2018-03-27, 12:05 PM
Here's the stats for Aurelia and Niv-Mizzet.

Aurelia, the Warleader
Medium celestial (angel), lawful good

Armor Class 20 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 270 (20d10+160)
Speed 40 ft., fly 120 ft.

STR 26 (+8) DEX 22 (+6) CON 26 (+8) INT 19 (+4) WIS 22 (+6) CHA 27 (+8)

Saving Throws: Con +12, Wis +11, Cha +12
Skills: Perception +11
Damage Resistance: Radiant; Bludgeoning, Piercing, And Slashing From Nonmagical Weapons
Condition Immunities: Charmed, Exhaustion, Frightened
Senses: Truesight 120 Ft., passive Perception 21
Languages: Common, Boros, Telepathy 120 Ft.
Challenge: 19 (15,000 XP)

Angelic Weapons: Aurelia's weapon attacks are magical. When Aurelia hits with any weapon, the weapon deals an extra 5d8 radiant damage (included in the attack).

Divine Awareness: Aurelia knows if she hears a lie.

Magic Resistance: Aurelia has advantage on saving throws against Spells and other magical effects.

Innate Spellcasting: Aurelia's spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 21). Aurelia can innately cast the following Spells, requiring no material components:
At will: Detect Evil and Good, Invisibility (self only), Light
3/day each: Blade Barrier, Dispel Evil and Good, Flame Strike, Raise Dead
1/day each: Commune, Spiritual Weapon, Burning Hands

Battalion: If Aurelia and at least two of her allies take the Attack action in the same round, all of them gain advantage on the roll, rerolling previous attacks if necessary.

Actions
Multiattack: Aurelia makes two Melee Attacks.

Greatsword: Melee Weapon Attack: +13 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 25 (5d6 + 8) slashing damage plus 27 (6d8) radiant damage.

Bolt of Radiance: Ranged Spell Attack: +13 to hit, range 60/120 ft., one target. Hit: 55 (10d10) radiant damage.

Niv-Mizzet: Aerie of the Firemind
Huge dragon, chaotic neutral

Armor Class 19 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 256 (19d12+133)
Speed 40 ft., climb 40 ft., fly 80 ft.

STR 27 (+8) DEX 10 (+0) CON 25 (+7) INT 27 (+8) WIS 13 (+1) CHA 21 (+5)

Saving Throws Dex +6, Con +13, Wis +7, Cha +11
Skills Perception +13, Stealth +6
Damage Immunities Fire
Senses Blindsight 60 Ft., Darkvision 120 Ft., passive Perception 23
Languages Common, Izzet
Challenge 18 (18,000 XP)

Spellcasting: Niv-Mizzet is a 9th-level spellcaster. His spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 18, +10 to hit with spell attacks). Niv-Mizzet has the following Wizard Spells prepared:

• Cantrips (at will): Fire Bolt, Shocking Grasp, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation
• 1st level (4 slots): Detect Magic, Feather Fall, Magic Missile, Shield
• 2nd level (3 slots): Misty Step, Scorching Ray
• 3rd level (3 slots): Counterspell, Fireball, Dispel Magic
• 4th level (3 slots): Greater Invisibility, Ice Storm
• 5th level (1 slot): Cone of Cold

Overload: Once per day, Niv-Mizzet can deal maximum damage from a spell that he casts.

Actions
Multiattack: Niv-Mizzet makes three attacks: one with his bite and two with his claws.

Bite: Melee Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 19 (2d10 + 8) piercing damage plus 7 (2d6) fire damage.

Claw: Melee Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 15 (2d6 + 8) slashing damage.

Tail: Melee Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 17 (2d8 + 8) bludgeoning damage.

Fire Breath (Recharge 5-6): Niv-Mizzet exhales fire in a 60-foot cone. Each creature in that area must make a DC 21 Dexterity saving throw, taking 63 (18d6) fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

the_brazenburn
2018-03-27, 12:14 PM
By the way, I'm going to delete Jarad's and Isperia's legendary actions.

the_brazenburn
2018-03-27, 12:38 PM
Aurelia vs Niv-Mizzet. FIGHT!

Round 1: Aurelia wins initiative. Aurelia flies at Niv-Mizzet and uses Multiattack. Niv-Mizzet counters with a Shield. Both attacks hit anyway, dealing 104 damage. Niv-Mizzet uses Fire Breath. Aurelia fails the save and takes 63 damage.

Life Totals after Round 1. Aurelia: 203, Niv-Mizzet: 152.

Round 2: Aurelia uses Multiattack. Niv-Mizzet counters with a Shield. One attack misses, but the other hits, dealing 52 damage. Niv-Mizzet uses Fire Breath again. Aurelia fails the save and takes 63 damage.

Life Totals after Round 2. Aurelia: 140, Niv-Mizzet: 100.

Round 3: Aurelia uses Multiattack. Niv-Mizzet counters with a Shield. Both attacks miss. Aurelia fails her save against Niv-Mizzet's Overloaded 5th level Fireball and takes 60 damage.

Life Totals after Round 3. Aurelia: 80, Niv-Mizzet: 100.

Round 4: Aurelia uses Multiattack. Niv-Mizzet counters with a Shield, using his last 1st level slot. One attack hits, dealing 52 damage. Niv-Mizzet casts a 4th level Fireball, which Aurelia fails her save against. She takes 34 damage.

Life Totals after Round 4. Aurelia: 47, Niv-Mizzet: 48.

Round 5: Aurelia uses Multiattack. Niv-Mizzet tries to block it with a 2nd-level Shield. One attack hits, dealing 52 damage. Niv-Mizzet is dead.

Winner: Aurelia!

Madfellow
2018-03-27, 02:16 PM
Two of the guildmasters are going to get first-round byes. I decided that one of them is Gruul, and the other will be Simic.

Today's fight: Aurelia vs. Niv-Mizzet.

Wouldn't it be better to have those two fight in the first round, then give the winner the bye in round 2?

the_brazenburn
2018-03-27, 02:26 PM
Wouldn't it be better to have those two fight in the first round, then give the winner the bye in round 2?

Actually, that makes a lot more sense. I'm going to do that.

There will be no first-round byes.

the_brazenburn
2018-03-28, 11:34 AM
The stats for Rakdos and the Obzedat are up now!

Rakdos, the Defiler
Huge fiend (demon), chaotic evil

Armor Class 19 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 262 (21d12+126)
Speed 40 ft., fly 80 ft.

STR 26 (+8) DEX 15 (+2) CON 22 (+6) INT 20 (+5) WIS 16 (+3) CHA 22 (+6)

Saving Throws Str +14, Con +12, Wis +9, Cha +12
Damage Resistance: Cold, Lightning; Bludgeoning, Piercing, And Slashing From Nonmagical Weapons
Damage Immunities: Fire, Poison
Condition Immunities: Poisoned
Senses Truesight 120 Ft., passive Perception 13
Languages Common, Rakdos, Telepathy 120 Ft.
Challenge 19 (22,000 XP)

Fire Aura: At the start of each of Rakdos' turns, each creature within 5 feet of him takes 10 (3d6) fire damage, and flammable Objects in the aura that aren't being worn or carried ignite. A creature that touches Rakdos or hits it with a melee Attack while within 5 feet of it takes 10 (3d6) fire damage.

Magic Resistance: Rakdos has advantage on saving throws against Spells and other magical effects.

Magic Weapons: Rakdos' weapon attacks are magical.

Innate Spellcasting (casting ability Charisma, +12 to spell attacks, spell save DC 20)
At will: Fire Bolt, Command, Crown of Madness

Unleash: When Rakdos attacks, he can choose to unleash his inner fury. If he does so, he gains advantage on all attack and damage rolls for the round, but all attacks against him have advantage for the round.

Actions:
Multiattack: Rakdos makes two attacks: one with his morningstar and one with his whip.

Morningstar: Melee Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 21 (3d8 + 8) slashing damage plus 13 (3d8) fire damage. If Rakdos scores a critical hit, he rolls damage dice three times, instead of twice.

Whip: Melee Weapon Attack: +14 to hit, reach 30 ft., one target. Hit: 15 (2d6 + 8) slashing damage plus 10 (3d6) fire damage, and the target must succeed on a DC 20 Strength saving throw or be pulled up to 25 feet toward Rakdos.

Summon Demon (1/Day): Rakdos chooses what to summon and attempts a magical summoning. He has a 50 percent chance of summoning 1d8 vrocks, 1d6 hezrous, 1d4 glabrezus, 1d3 nalfeshnees, 1d2 mariliths, or one Goristro.
A summoned demon appears in an unoccupied space within 60 feet of Rakdos, acts as an ally of Rakdos, and can't summon other demons. It remains for 1 minute, until it or Rakdos dies, or until Rakdos dismisses it as an action.

Obzedat, Council of Ghosts
Medium undead, lawful evil

Armor Class 13
Hit Points 67 (9d8+27)
Speed 0 ft., fly 60 ft. (hover)

STR 6 (-2) DEX 16 (+3) CON 16 (+3) INT 12 (+1) WIS 14 (+2) CHA 16 (+3)

Damage Resistance: Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning, Thunder; Bludgeoning, Piercing, And Slashing From Nonmagical Weapons That Aren't Silvered
Damage Immunities: Necrotic, Poison
Condition Immunities; Charmed, Exhaustion, Grappled, Paralyzed, Petrified, Poisoned, Prone, Restrained
Senses: Darkvision 60 Ft., passive Perception 12
Languages: Common, Orzhov
Challenge 5 (1,800 XP)

Incorporeal Movement: Members of the Obzedat can move through other creatures and Objects as if they were difficult terrain. It takes 5 (1d10) force damage if it ends its turn inside an object.

Sunlight Sensitivity: While in sunlight, the members of the Obzedat has disadvantage on Attack rolls, as well as on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.

Innate Spellcasting (Save DC 14, +6):
At will: Toll the Dead, Cure Wounds, Speak with Dead

Actions:
Life Drain: Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 21 (4d8 + 3) necrotic damage. The target must succeed on a DC 14 Constitution saving throw or its hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the damage taken. This reduction lasts until the target finishes a Long Rest. The target dies if this effect reduces its hit point maximum to 0.

Create Specter: The Obzedat targets a humanoid within 10 feet of it that has been dead for no longer than 1 minute and died violently. The target's spirit rises as a Specter in the space of its corpse or in the nearest unoccupied space. The Specter is under the Obzedat's control. The Obzedat can have no more than thirty-five specters under its control at one time.

Extort: The member of the Obzedat drains the life out of an opponent. The target must succeed on a DC 14 Wisdom saving throw or take 13 (3d8) necrotic damage. The member of the Obzedat regains hit points equal to the damage dealt.

the_brazenburn
2018-03-28, 12:36 PM
Rakdos vs. 5 members of the Obzedat.

Fight!

Round 1: Obzedat wins initiative. All five Obzedat use Life Drain on Rakdos, taking 5 fire damage each due to Flame Aura. One of the attacks hits, dealing 21 necrotic damage. Rakdos fails the save and has his max HP reduced by 21. Now Rakdos attempts to summon demonic allies. He successfully summons a marilith.

Life Totals after Round 1. Rakdos: 241, max 241. Obzedat: 62, 62, 62, 62, 62.

Round 2: Each of the Obzedat attempts Extort on the marilith. She fails three of the saves and takes 39 damage. Three of the Obzedat are healed back up to maximum. Rakdos now uses Multiattack on one of the Obzedat, hitting it with both attacks and dealing 47 damage. The marilith uses Multiattack: one longsword attack against each Obzedat, with the tail and extra longsword against the wounded one. The three against the wounded ghost miss, but all the others hit, each one dealing 13 damage.

Life Totals after Round 2. Rakdos: 241, max 241 (Marilith 150). Obzedat: 54, 54, 54, 49, 15.

Round 3: Each of the Obzedat attempts Extort against Rakdos. He fails two of the saves and takes 26 damage, while two of the Obzedat are healed to maximum. Rakdos uses an Unleashed Multiattack against one of the Obzedat. Both attacks hit, and he deals 58 damage, killing the Obzedat. The Marilith uses Multiattack again, targeting the wounded Obzedat with four attacks and using one longsword against each other one. Two attacks hit against the wounded one, killing it, and each of the other attacks also hits, dealing 13 damage to each ghost.

Life Totals after Round 3. Rakdos: 215, max 241 (Marilith 150). Obzedat: 54, 54, 41.

Round 4: Each of the Obzedat uses Life Drain against Rakdos, taking 5 damage each from his Fire Aura. All three attacks hit, dealing 63 damage. Rakdos makes all three saves. He then uses another Unleashed Multiattack on one Obzedat, hitting with the whip and critting with his longsword. He deals 93 damage, killing the Obzedat easily. The Marilith uses Multiattack, using three longswords against each Obzedat and the tail against the weaker of the two. Two longswords hit each of them, dealing 26 damage to each.

Life Totals after Round 4. Rakdos: 152, max 241 (Marilith 150). Obzedat: 23, 10

Round 5: The Obzedat make a desperate last-ditch attempt to kill Rakdos, using Life Drain again. They each take 5 damage from his Fire Aura, and both attacks miss. Rakdos uses his Multiattack against one Obzedat, hitting it with both attacks and killing it. The marilith focuses all her attacks against the last one, who is chopped into ribbons. The Obzedat are dead.

Winner: An upset victory for Rakdos!

the_brazenburn
2018-03-29, 08:12 AM
The final fight of the first tier is today: Borborygmos vs. Zegana.

I think it's pretty clear who will win this on, sadly.

Naanomi
2018-03-29, 09:01 AM
The final fight of the first tier is today: Borborygmos vs. Zegana.

I think it's pretty clear who will win this on, sadly.
The high level... ?Cleric/Druid?... Who can move freely in aquatic environments?

the_brazenburn
2018-03-29, 09:11 AM
The high level... ?Cleric/Druid?... Who can move freely in aquatic environments?

Yeah, I wish.

And she'll probably be a high-level Transmutation wizard.

Naanomi
2018-03-29, 09:17 AM
Yeah, I wish.

And she'll probably be a high-level Transmutation wizard.
Simic are medical types, but transmuter works as well. Looking at the Cyclopes stat sheet, I’m just not seeing a lot that will stop a caster that just keeps running away and hurling spells (especially if you open with disabling spells); and I’m not seeing much on Bory that says he is anything more than a stronger Cyclopes with more HP than normal.

the_brazenburn
2018-03-29, 09:22 AM
Simic are medical types, but transmuter works as well. Looking at the Cyclopes stat sheet, I’m just not seeing a lot that will stop a caster that just keeps running away and hurling spells (especially if you open with disabling spells); and I’m not seeing much on Bory that says he is anything more than a stronger Cyclopes with more HP than normal.

Well, they're all in the CR 17-20 zone, so Bory is not just going to be an ordinary cyclops. Ravnica cyclopes are pretty different from D&D ones (namely, they're much bigger). I'm using a refluffed Storm Giant Quintessent for Borborygmos, and an Archmage with extra HP, an expanded spell list, and some bonus options for Zenaga.

Naanomi
2018-03-29, 09:27 AM
I could see bory being a modified giant, sure. But the magic abilities don’t seem in his character, he is almost the definition of ‘just smashing things’ tactics.. But (using a standard arch Mage spell list) time stop into buffing ended with a trapping wall of force doesn’t leave Bory with a lot of options as he is normally described. Of course, if he can turn into a storm that changes things

EDIT: maybe he is an empyrean without spellcasting and whose ‘bolt’ is limited to bludgeoning damage? Does that take the CR down enough?

Aett_Thorn
2018-03-29, 09:33 AM
How useful is a single-fight result for this. Given how swingy the dice can be, it seems like this would heavily favor the luckier of the two, not the most powerful. For instance, in your first fight between Isperia and Jarad, Jarad seems to make multiple saves against a DC 19 with a +9 to Wisdom. Do this fight again, and Jarad might not make those saves and be paralyzed for the entire fight.

the_brazenburn
2018-03-29, 09:34 AM
I could see bory being a modified giant, sure. But the magic abilities don’t seem in his character, he is almost the definition of ‘just smashing things’ tactics.. But (using a standard arch Mage spell list) time stop into buffing ended with a trapping wall of force doesn’t leave Bory with a lot of options as he is normally described. Of course, if he can turn into a storm that changes things

EDIT: maybe he is an empyrean without spellcasting and whose ‘bolt’ is limited to bludgeoning damage? Does that take the CR down enough?

I just switched all damage types to bludgeoning, buffed up his STR and CON to 30, and scrapped legendary items.

It depends on intitiative, I guess.

How useful is a single-fight result for this. Given how swingy the dice can be, it seems like this would heavily favor the luckier of the two, not the most powerful. For instance, in your first fight between Isperia and Jarad, Jarad seems to make multiple saves against a DC 19 with a +9 to Wisdom. Do this fight again, and Jarad might not make those saves and be paralyzed for the entire fight.

True. I'm not really doing it for "ranking" purposes, just for fun.

the_brazenburn
2018-03-29, 09:58 AM
Here's the stats for Borborygmos and Zegana. Naaomi, who do you think would win now?

Borborygmos, Gruul Alpha
Huge giant, chaotic neutral

Armor Class 12
Hit Points 330 (20d12+200)
Speed 50 ft.

STR 30 (+10) DEX 14 (+2) CON 30 (+10) INT 9 (-1) WIS 20 (+5) CHA 25 (+7)

Saving Throws: Str +16, Con +16, Wis +11, Cha +13
Damage Resistances: bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Senses: Passive Perception 15, darkvision 120 feet
Languages Common, Gruul
Challenge 18 (15,000 XP)

Bloodrush: When Borborygmos reduces an enemy to 0 hit points, he may immediately use his reaction to make a full action.

Innate Spellcasting (Save DC 21, +13 to spell attacks):
At will: True Strike, Speak with Animals, Shatter

Actions:
Multiattack: Borborygmos makes two Maul attacks or throws one Tree Trunk.
Maul: Melee Weapon Attack: +16 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 45 (10d6+10) bludgeoning damage.
Tree Trunk: Ranged Weapon Attack: +16 to hit, range 120/300, one target. Hit: 41 (7d8+10) bludgeoning damage.

Prime Speaker Zegana
Medium humanoid (merfolk), neutral

Armor Class 12 (15 With Mage Armor)
Hit Points 107 (18d8+36)
Speed 30 ft., swim 40 ft.

STR 10 (+0) DEX 16 (+3) CON 14 (+2) INT 22 (+6) WIS 17 (+3) CHA 18 (+4)

Saving Throws: Int +11, Wis +8, Cha +9
Skills: Arcana +13, History +13
Damage Resistance: Damage From Spells; Non Magical Bludgeoning, Piercing, And Slashing (From Stoneskin)
Senses: passive Perception 13
Languages: Common, Simic

Magic Resistance: Zegana has advantage on saving throws against Spells and other magical effects.

Amphibious: Zenaga can breathe both air and water.

Evolve: Once per day, if Zegana is within 60 feet of a creature with a higher challenge rating than her, she gains a +2 bonus to each stat for one minute.

Spellcasting: Zegana is an 18th-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 18, +10 to hit with spell attacks). Zegana can cast Disguise Self and Alter Self at will and has the following Wizard Spells prepared:

• Cantrips (at will): Ray of Frost, light, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Resistance
• 1st level (4 slots): Detect Magic, Expeditious Retreat, mage armor*, Silent Image
• 2nd level (3 slots): Alter Self, Mirror Image, Enhance Ability
• 3rd level (3 slots): Slow, fly, Lightning Bolt
• 4th level (3 slots): Polymorph, Confusion, stoneskin*
• 5th level (3 slots): Cone of Cold, Telekinesis, Wall of Force
• 6th level (1 slot): Globe of Invulnerability
• 7th level (1 slot): Teleport
• 8th level (1 slot): mind blank*
• 9th level (1 slot): Time Stop

*: Zegana casts these Spells on herself before Combat.

Actions:
Shortsword: Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6+3) slashing damage.

Naanomi
2018-03-29, 12:12 PM
Probably Bory, but initiative will matter a lot and I’d still lead with time stop into buffs+ wall of force.

the_brazenburn
2018-03-29, 12:37 PM
The Long-Awaited Fight: Zegana vs. Borborygmos

FIGHT!

Round 1: Zegana crits initiative and automatically goes first. She opens with Slow, then moves her full speed away from Borborygmos. The cyclops barely makes the save and is unaffected by the spell. Then he moves against Zegana and uses Multiattack. Both attacks hit easily, and Zegana takes 45 damage.

Life Totals after Round 1. Borborygmos: 330. Zegana: 72.

Round 2: Zegana casts Time Stop.

Life Totals after Round 2. Borborygmos: 330. Zegana: 72.

Round 3: Zegana uses Evolve on herself and moves her full speed away.

Life Totals after Round 3. Borborygmos: 330. Zegana: 72 (18 temporary).

Round 4: Zegana casts Mirror Image and moves her full speed away.

Life Totals after Round 4. Borborygmos: 330. Zegana: 72 (18 temporary).

Round 5: Zegana casts Wall of Force around herself.

Life Totals after Round 5. Borborygmos: 330. Zegana: 72 (18 temporary).

Round 6: Zegana hurls a 5th level Lightning Bolt at Borborygmos. He fails the save and takes 41 damage. He then moves his full speed and throws a tree trunk at Zegana. It is deflected by the Wall of Force.

Life Totals after Round 6. Borborygmos: 289. Zegana: 72 (18 temporary).

Round 7: Zegana uses another 5th level Lightning Bolt against Borborygmos. He makes the save and takes 14 damage. Borborygmos casts Shatter on Zegana. She fails the save and takes 4 damage, breaking concentration on the Wall of Force. Her Mirror Images are destroyed.

Life Totals after Round 7. Borborygmos: 289. Zegana: 68 (14 temporary).

Round 8: Zegana teleports to a spot 100 feet away. Borborygmos moves his full speed and throws a tree trunk at her, hitting and dealing 20 damage.

Life Totals after Round 8. Borborygmos: 289. Zenaga: 48.

Round 9: Zegana uses her 6th level spell slot to cast Wall of Force again. Borborygmos repeats his use of Shatter, which Zegana crit-succeeds on and takes no damage.

Life Totals after Round 9. Borborygmos: 289. Zenaga: 48.

Round 10: Zegana casts Lightning Bolt at 4th level. Borborygmos fails the save and takes 33 damage. He casts Shatter again. Zegana fails the save and takes 11 damage, maintaining concentration.

Life Totals after Round 10. Borborygmos: 256. Zenaga: 16.

Round 11: Zegana again casts Lightning Bolt at 4th level, which hits Borborygmos and deals 42 damage. He casts Shatter again, now directly in front of her Wall of Force, and manages to deal 20 damage. Zegana is dead.

Winner: Borborygmos (and me, for successfully calling the result ahead of time!)

the_brazenburn
2018-03-29, 01:13 PM
Now that all the stats and results for Tier 1 combats are up, who do you think will win the ultimate prize? Earlier, the expected victors were Trostrani and Obzedat. Obzedat is now eliminated, and some of the solo contenders have shown themselves to be more capable than originally expected.

Who would you anticipate the victory going to now that all the information is on the board?

Naanomi
2018-03-29, 01:52 PM
In all fairness, I expected the Obzedat to win when I expected all 100+ of them to show up to the fight ;)

the_brazenburn
2018-03-29, 01:58 PM
In all fairness, I expected the Obzedat to win when I expected all 100+ of them to show up to the fight ;)

Fair enough.

Madfellow
2018-03-29, 02:22 PM
So the round 1 winners are Selesnya, Rakdos, Gruul, Golgari, and Boros, and one of them is getting the bye this round.

the_brazenburn
2018-03-29, 02:30 PM
So the round 1 winners are Selesnya, Rakdos, Gruul, Golgari, and Boros, and one of them is getting the bye this round.

Correct. I'll be taking suggestions for ones you'd like to see fighting, and otherwise I'll roll randomly for matchups.

By the way, I've calculated the amount of wins each color has, just for reference. Here they are.

White: 2
Blue: 0
Green: 3
Red: 3
Black: 2

If we keep to the current trend, Borborygmos will come out favored. Obviously that's completely arbitrary, but it's something to keep in mind.

Also, blue didn't get a single win. Is that surprising to anybody?

Naanomi
2018-03-29, 09:44 PM
Blue creatures tend to have lower P/T for their casting cost. Given the format of these fights... no terrain, no planning, no one trying even marginally tricky tactics like Hit and Run... the equivalent of ‘attack and block’ in mtg terms... no surprise Blue loses out

the_brazenburn
2018-04-02, 11:14 AM
The first tier 2 fight is later today! The contestants will be Jarad vs. Rakdos.

Put your predictions below!

My money, personally, is on Rakdos. He's proved himself to be an utter BEAST against the Obzedat, and I think he'll be more than capable of taking on a single lich.

On the other hand, spamming Disintegrate with Power Word Kill as an unstoppable final-round action is pretty potent. It'll mostly come down to initiative and the chances of Rakdos summoning a minion.

the_brazenburn
2018-04-02, 12:17 PM
Jarad vs. Rakdos

FIGHT!

Round 1: Rakdos wins intitiative. He attempts to summon a marilith and succeeds. Jarad casts Dominate Monster on the marilith, which fails the saving throw and is now under Jarad's control.

Life Totals after Round 1. Rakdos: 262. Jarad: 120 (Marilith 189).

Round 2: Rakdos uses a Multiattack against Jarad. He hits with the whip, restraining Jarad, then smashes him with the morningstar. Jarad takes 59 damage, but succeeds on his save against getting dragged toward Rakdos. Jarad commands the marilith to attack Rakdos. Four of the longsword attacks hit, dealing a total of 52 damage. Jarad then casts Dimension Door to teleport himself 60 feet away from Rakdos, escaping the clutches of his whip.

Life Totals after Round 2. Rakdos: 210. Jarad: 61 (Marilith 189).

Round 3: Rakdos moves his full speed towards Jarad, then makes a whip attack at the marilith and a morningstar attack against Jarad. Both attacks hit. Jarad takes 34 damage and the marilith takes 25 damage and breaks the control of Jarad's Dominate spell. She immediately makes a full Multiattack against Jarad, who takes a tail attack and six longswords to the chest. He takes 93 damage and is dead.

Winner: Rakdos!

the_brazenburn
2018-04-03, 09:38 AM
Today's fight is between Trostrani and Aurelia. Borborygmos gets the bye for tier 2, then will compete against either Rakdos or the winner of this match in the semi-finals.

Who do you expect to win this combat? Post your predictions below!

Personally, my money is on Trostrani. They absolutely destroyed Lazav, and the ability to hamper Aurelia's mobility with Ensnaring Vines and similar abilities will be devastating.

the_brazenburn
2018-04-03, 12:34 PM
Trostrani vs. Aurelia

FIGHT!

Round 1: Aurelia wins initiative. She instantly uses Multiattack on one of the Trostrani. One attack hits, dealing 52 damage. The Trostrani all use Populate on nearby trees, which come to life and prepare to fight Aurelia.

Life Totals after Round 1. Aurelia: 270. Trostrani: 98, 98, 46 (Awakened Trees 59, 59, 59).

Round 2: Aurelia uses another Multiattack. The first attack hits the wounded Trostrani, which is destroyed, and the second hits the second Trostrani member, dealing 52 damage. Aurelia flies 120 feet into the air with her movement speed. The two remaining Trostrani members both cast Call Lightning, blasting Aurelia with twin bolts of electricity. She succeeds on one saving throw and fails the other, taking 28 damage. The Awakened Trees slowly start to climb on top of each other in order to reach Aurelia.

Life Totals after Round 2. Aurelia: 242. Trostrani: 98, 46 (Awakened Trees 59, 59, 59).

Round 3: Aurelia flies downward, taking opportunity attacks from the two highest trees. Both attacks miss, and the Boros guildmaster makes a full Multiattack against the bottom tree, which destroys it. The other trees fall, falling prone and taking 18 and 39 damage respectively. Trostrani hurls two more lightning bolts, both of which Aurelia succeeds on the saves for. She takes 41 damage.

Life Totals after Round 3. Aurelia: 201. Trostrani: 98, 46 (Awakened Trees 41, 20).

Round 4: Aurelia streaks toward the Trostrani, making a full Multiattack against them. Both attacks hit, killing the wounded one and dealing 52 damage to the other. The remaining Trostrani counter by using Ensnaring Roots and fleeing, while the Awakened Trees cover their retreat by each making a grapple attempt against the trapped angel. Aurelia pulls free of the vines easily, but one of the grapples manages to pin her down.

Life Totals after Round 4. Aurelia: 201. Trostrani: 46 (Awakened Trees 41, 20).

Round 5: A pinned Aurelia makes a desperate attempt to take out Trostrani by hurling a Bolt of Radiance. The attack has disadvantage, but still hits, consuming the final member of the Trostrani in searing light. The Trostrani are dead, causing their Awakened Trees to return to their formerly inanimate state.

Winner: Aurelia!

the_brazenburn
2018-04-04, 11:52 AM
No comments for a while. Do people want me to continue?

If so, today's fight will be between Borborygmos and either Aurelia or Rakdos. I'll pick one at random.

the_brazenburn
2018-04-05, 08:15 AM
No responses for a full week. I'm assuming people no longer have interest.

I'm going to continue the fights and post them here, but only for completeness's sake.

If anybody actually is still interested, please let me know.

Naanomi
2018-04-05, 08:33 AM
I’m watching, but with everyone’s stats posted now it is just seeing how the dice land

the_brazenburn
2018-04-05, 12:02 PM
That's fair, I suppose.

I've not got the energy to actually finish this, though. Just assume whoever you were rooting for won.