PDA

View Full Version : Dark Heresy combat flow chart?

Drache64
2018-03-23, 10:06 AM
Dark Heresy seems like such a confusing system, I've read the book (only have 1st Ed) many times and combat still seems so complex.

For ranged:
First determine BS
Aim? +Mod
Shoot regular, semi, or full auto? +Mods
Lighting? +/- mods
Now roll.
Weapon jam? Roll on jam table
No jam? Did you hit?
Determine hit location
Damage reduction: subtract Target armor and cover
Roll damage
Righteous fury? Yes? Roll another damage.
Did you kill your victim? No?
Is he pinned? No?

After combat:
Did you get fatigued?
Did you get any corruption?
Did you gain any insanity?

Does anyone know of an existing flowchart for this?

Drache64
2018-03-23, 04:08 PM
I made my own, I'd share it here but I don't know how to share images on this site.

Destro_Yersul
2018-03-23, 06:07 PM
Dark Heresy seems like such a confusing system, I've read the book (only have 1st Ed) many times and combat still seems so complex.

Does anyone know of an existing flowchart for this?

I don't know of a flowchart, but you don't really need it. It's a lot less complex than you've listed there. I'll put my comments here:

For ranged:
First determine BS - this is just a number on your sheet/profile
Aim? +Mod - only applies if you took the aim action, and is a flat +10 for half aim.
Shoot regular, semi, or full auto? +Mods - In DH1, full and semi-auto are full actions, so you can't do them on the same turn you aim. If you spend the previous turn doing nothing but aim then you can. Again, they're a flat number.
Lighting? +/- mods Almost never applies. If it does, then the DM will tell you. Most of the time, don't worry about it.
Now roll.
Weapon jam? Roll on jam table - There is no jam table. Either it jams, or it doesn't.
No jam? Did you hit?
Determine hit location - This is done by inverting your roll. 38 becomes 83. You don't roll seperately.
Damage reduction: subtract Target armor and cover roll damage, subtract armour, cover and toughness.
Roll damage
Righteous fury? Yes? Roll another damage. Roll to confirm, then roll damage. Only happens 10% of the time you hit.
Did you kill your victim? No?
Is he pinned? No? Regular shooting does not cause pinning.

After combat:
Did you get fatigued?
Did you get any corruption?
Did you gain any insanity?
These would be handled seperately, not checked after every combat

In general, ranged combat is resolved with three rolls. You roll to hit, your opponent rolls to dodge, and then you roll damage and subtract their reduction. There's a couple extra rolls if righteous fury happens. It starts looking complex if you break everything down into individual steps, but it's really a very simple system. The first seven things you've listed there are really one thing: the BS test to hit.

RazorChain
2018-03-24, 08:24 PM
This isn't complex by most system standards.

A lot of them account for

1) Range
2) Visual conditions
3) Aiming
4) Equipment modifiers
5) Cover
6) Wounding penalties
7) other circumstancial modifiers

Just to name a few and thats before you roll.

Then you have

A) defensive rolls
B) hit locations
C) Damage rolls
D) Soak rolls

Destro_Yersul
2018-03-25, 02:36 AM
Dark Heresy does take account of range, but it's just another flat modifier if you're sufficiently close or far away. Really I could see why someone might want a table of all the modifiers, just so they could look them up quickly. There's no need for anything like a flowchart, though.