PDA

View Full Version : Awakened Flower?

WeissAllein
2018-03-23, 12:12 PM
Not sure if something like this is already on the forums but I have played a game recently where a character had a symbiotic flower in their hair. The flower didn't give them any benefit other then being there and looking pretty and the person didn't need to take any special care of it because it got what it needed from them.

I have tried getting this for a couple of characters as just a fun little thing but the question always gets misunderstood or ignored by the person running the game. I was wondering if I made a druid who used Awaken on a little flower would it work similarly to this? I don't really care if it doesn't function exactly the same but would it be possible to have the flower be like an ever present companion if I took good care of it or something?

the_brazenburn
2018-03-23, 12:15 PM
I'd say it's possible. It could work as a familiar, if you took Magic Initiate.

Stats-wise, you could give it something along the lines of AC 10 (due to Dex and small size), 1 hit point, and some sort of non-fatal charm-based attack (fluffed as a toxic scent).

This what you were looking for?

Blood of Gaea
2018-03-23, 12:16 PM
It should work just fine, and I don't see why spending 1,000gp for little to no mechanical benefit would be banned. Just make sure to get nutrients to it somehow.

Wisefool
2018-03-23, 12:24 PM
He said it was a symbiotic flower, so I imagine the plant has roots directly into the character's head and is drawing nutrients that way.

With the head theme, I would give it a charm-based ability, and the earlier suggestion of a toxic scent (poison spray) is good too. If you DM won't allow that, look into using Druidcraft via the flower.

Blood of Gaea
2018-03-23, 12:25 PM
I don't see why it needs an ability at all.

JNAProductions
2018-03-23, 12:30 PM
I don't see why it needs an ability at all.

Yeah. Just have a little flower friend! I'd certainly ALLOW you to do botanical mad science and give it abilities, but by default? Is pretty flower.

WeissAllein
2018-03-23, 12:30 PM
Thanks, just wanted to run it by some people first. I tend to get small ideas that get ignored and they just sit in my head waiting to be used. This time I decided to run it by some people first and see how others felt. Makes me confident about attempting this idea.

On the stats that some of you brought up I will see what can be done. Druidcraft will probably have the highest chance of working but if i suggested a low DC charm that might also work. I have a history with charm spells that my friends tend to try and avoid repeating.

Edit: Honestly I am ok with it not having abilities and just being there but I enjoy being creative and those who mentioned the charm toxin made the gears turn a little.

Wisefool
2018-03-23, 12:33 PM
I looked up the spell now. It only gains the ability to move, which could refluffed to becoming a symbiotic plant that you can speak to with an INT of 10. It stays attached and charmed by your spell for 30 days, at which point it decides to either remain attached or leaves based on how you and your companions treated it over the previous month.

Interesting spy if you are willing to detach the flower from your character when the need arises.

JNAProductions
2018-03-23, 12:36 PM
Thanks, just wanted to run it by some people first. I tend to get small ideas that get ignored and they just sit in my head waiting to be used. This time I decided to run it by some people first and see how others felt. Makes me confident about attempting this idea.

On the stats that some of you brought up I will see what can be done. Druidcraft will probably have the highest chance of working but if i suggested a low DC charm that might also work. I have a history with charm spells that my friends tend to try and avoid repeating.

Edit: Honestly I am ok with it not having abilities and just being there but I enjoy being creative and those who mentioned the charm toxin made the gears turn a little.

Again, as a DM, Awaken would NOT provide that ability. It would simply be an intelligent and animate flower.

But, I'd be fully on board with looking for ways to make the flower harder, better, faster, stronger! Surgically weaving Ogrin (condensed and solidified magic) into it to make it resistant to magic and able to cast a few cantrips (like Mending, Druidcraft, and Prestidigitation-maybe Mage Hand too), scientifically determining what sort of pheromones affect different types of people and finding a way to make that part of the flower's biology, perhaps letting it learn minor Psionics...

tieren
2018-03-23, 12:42 PM
I wouldn't give it an attack, but maybe let it help you with passive perception or something, like you have eyes in the back of your head.

Or give you a advantage on charisma checks when dealing with plants (how often could that possibly come up)

Blood of Gaea
2018-03-23, 12:51 PM
I wouldn't give it an attack, but maybe let it help you with passive perception or something, like you have eyes in the back of your head.

Or give you a advantage on charisma checks when dealing with plants (how often could that possibly come up)
It's a sentient creature, it can just be using the help action every round.

That's a pretty solid use for 1000gp. Just try to avoid getting caught in any AoE attacks.

some guy
2018-03-23, 06:21 PM
a symbiotic flower in their hair. The flower didn't give them any benefit other then being there and looking pretty and the person didn't need to take any special care of it because it got what it needed from them.

If you just want a flower that doesn't wither or a simple parasitic flower (but one that isn't sentient or a companion), a custom trinket might be all you need. Many players and many dm's forget trinkets, but they're right there on phb page 159-161. The only thing you need to do is ask your DM, but it's really at the same power level (the only thing different is you're designing a trinket instead of rolling).

Vykryl
2018-03-23, 06:54 PM
Sounds like someone read John H Carroll's Willden Trilogy. One of the main characters has a flower familiar woven into their hair. Stories are rather vague on what it does to help the character. The flower does give people the impression its glaring at them when they upset its character.