PDA

View Full Version : Drunken war cleric

DigitalCharlie
2018-03-23, 02:01 PM
I'm building a drunken monk with a dash of war cleric as one of my next characters. I like the options that war cleric affords, with shield of faith, bane, and divine favor — using each depending on circumstance. Want higher AC? Shield of faith. More damage? Divine Favor. Want to encourage more misses / make it a little easier to stun? Bane.

My question is when should I dip and how far? I had been thinking monk 6, war cleric 1, then more monk. But would more levels be useful for more spell slots? Would it be better to take the war cleric level earlier so I can see if I like those spell options to justify wanting more slots?

nickl_2000
2018-03-23, 02:11 PM
You want to get to level 5 at least for Monk before you multiclass, although the level 6 ability of Drunken Master is really good.

I would say 2 levels in War Cleric would be plenty, although 1 would be good enough to give you two castings of Bless a day. Your allies will LOVE you if you keep Bless on while in combat Also you will give each attack that you make an additional 1d4 to hit, which is really quite a lot with bounded accuracy.

Personally I would do 1 so you don't lose on that Ki progression, although if you are going to only go 1 check out some other Domains. Knowledge would be great for more skills outside of combat. Arcana would also be great to give you more cantrips.

Kyrinthic
2018-03-23, 03:28 PM
I agree with holding off until 5/6 before multiclassing.

But I think level 3 is where it is at for you, you get a lot more spells for one more lost level.
Divine favor is level 3 though, so you would need to dip 5 to get that, and that feels like too much. Change your damage spell to bless, or a spiritual weapon of a drinking mug or something, call it drinking buddy :).