PDA

View Full Version : Making a Bladesinger - Help

Tunos
2018-03-23, 02:14 PM
Finally getting a chance to play in a game, as opposed to running one.

I just discovered the Bladesinger and want to give it a go. We'll be playing Curse of Strahd starting at lvl 1. We rolled for stats with the parameters that rolls had to be between 68 and 74. Well, lucky me I rolled a 69 as follows : 8 / 13 / 14 / 9 / 13 / 12.

Obviously this is less than optimal, but that's what it is. I am going to abide by the half-elf or elf restriction. For practical purposes my options are High Elf or Half Elf or Half Elf variant.

High elf seems to get me here:
16 Dex / 14 Int / 13 Con / 12 Cha / 9 Str / 8 Wis.

This is less than ideal, as I'm forced to deal with a +2 to Int until level 4, but I get the benefit of the Dex attack modifier (I'll be using short swords) and the AC and initiative bonus. It also comes with Elven Weapon training and a bonus cantrip.

Half-elf gets me here, I think :
14 Dex, 14 Int, 14 Con, 14 Cha, 9 Str, 8 Wis.

This is substantially more well rounded, but does short me on a point of AC at level 1, though it's made up when Bladesinging at level 2. It also gives me the extra +1 to HP from the higher Con and gives me a solid Cha modifier as well (I would probably have to be the party face). I'd also get two bonus skills. I lose a cantrip and elven weapon training, which hurts at 1, but I can use Bladesinger to gain shortsword proficiency.

Alternatively, I can sacrifice Skill Versatility by choosing a variant, my options would be either Drow (bladesinger of Elistraee makes sense) or High Elf. Drow would trade 2 proficiencies for Drow Magic most likely (Faerie Fire could be nice). High Elf variant would give me the option of Elven Weapon Training (seems wasteful) or a Bonus Cantrip.

Anyway, I just wanted to collect general thoughts re stat allocation. I don't wanna ask my GM to modify too much. I am considering TWF in later levels, once I can add Int to attack and damage rolls.

Any thoughts or discussion is appreciated - note that this isn't a request to OPTIMIZE but a request to make a usable character to which end optimization discussions will be informative.

Thanks for your help!

Ellisthion
2018-03-23, 03:31 PM
I also have a Bladesinger with rather suboptimal rolls: at level 1 my stats were 6/16/14/15/12/13 after half-elf bonuses.

The race is a tough choice. The Con, Cha, and skills from Half-Elf are huge... but so is +2 Dex and the cantrip. I don't know if Curse of Strahd is combat-heavy or not, but I'd probably lean to the High Elf option for a combat-heavy game, and Half-Elf for a non combat-heavy game.

If you go High Elf, try to grab Acrobatics from your Background, because Bladesong gives a bonus to it. If Half-Elf you can just grab it as one of your bonus skills.

I don't think Drow is a good option.

+2 Int until level 4 (or even later) is fine, you've just got to be really careful with your spell preparations. You won't really be using attack or save spells so much... at level 4 I would assess whether another +2 Dex or the +2 Int is going to serve you better.

Try to pick up as many rituals as possible, because that gives you utility without eating in to your spell preparations. You don't have the preparations to do much in the way of standard wizarding: spell like Shield and Expeditious Retreat get priority over things like Sleep.

Studded Leather can be used instead of Mage Armour if you're too tight on preparations (or, at lower levels, if you really need that spell slot).

If you're Half-Elf you might not be able to afford to take a ranged attack cantrip, because you'll want probably ~2 blade cantrips (and IMO utility cantrips are too important). Grab some throwing daggers and postpone the ranged cantrip until level 10. A level 5 Firebolt has the same average damage as thrown daggers with +3 Dex and Extra Attack.

Tunos
2018-03-23, 07:10 PM
All valid. I'm leaning towards Half Elf, either plain or High Elf Variant for the Cantrip.

What do we think about starting attacking Fighter 1 and then going Bladesinger afterwards to get a Con saving throw? Ultimately I'd be thinking Bladesinger 17 / Battlemaster 3.

This gives me a Fighting Style (Defense or Dueling), Action Surge, multiple weapon proficiencies, a weak Second Wind and superiority dice which just seem fun and will stack with Blade Cantrips?

It costs me a level 5, 6 and level 7 spell slot, an ASI, and Signature Spell and Spell Mastery. But importantly keeps the 8 and 9 spell slots and gives a touch more survivability in the early game?

Blood of Gaea
2018-03-23, 07:28 PM
Well, first off, being a Wizard with only 14 Int to start kinda sucks, but is playable, and 16 Dex helps with that, as you can focus a bit more on weapon attacks early on. I'd consider making use of the Longbow High-Elf gives you proficiency in at a distance, rather than a cantrip (unless the opponent resists the damage, of course), combined with the bonus cantrip, you'll have a nice handful of utility at-will abilities, like Mage Hand, Mending, Prestidigitation, Mold Earth, etc.

Another idea that would go well with being the face of the party, would be to dip into a level of Hexblade Warlock, combined with Half-Elf you start with 16 in Cha and can use it both for your melee attacks as well as your social roles. Whether that fits with your character concept is up to you, but I feel Hexblade mixes with Bladesinger pretty easily from a fluff standpoint.

And as a bonus to dual wielding, Shadow Blade works very well, as it's a light weapon. :)

Tunos
2018-03-23, 08:01 PM
Trust me, I am excited about these stats in no way! But it will be a nice chance to play a reasonably well-rounded character?

I'm leaning towards the 4 14 split and taking Int at 4 and Dex at 8.

People keep saying shadow blade is good, and I see that, but I don't necessarily understand why they say it's so good with TWF? Or at least any better for TWF than one. Can you elaborate?

And why better than Haste, in particular, which also takes Concentration?

Crgaston
2018-03-23, 08:43 PM
You can use it and still get your second attack with your regular weapon in your off hand, plus it’s useable with your extra attack. It’s better than Haste because it’s only a 2nd level slot and you’re not a sitting duck for a whole round if you lose concentration.

Blood of Gaea
2018-03-23, 09:02 PM
Trust me, I am excited about these stats in no way! But it will be a nice chance to play a reasonably well-rounded character?

I'm leaning towards the 4 14 split and taking Int at 4 and Dex at 8.

People keep saying shadow blade is good, and I see that, but I don't necessarily understand why they say it's so good with TWF? Or at least any better for TWF than one. Can you elaborate?

And why better than Haste, in particular, which also takes Concentration?
Alright, going through in order.

Having well-rounded stats actually facilitates choosing a Bladesinger as a Wizard class. Bladesingers give up abilities that could directly enhance their spellcasting in exchange for gishey goodness, so with you easily grabbing 16 Dex (or Cha) and not being able to get 16 Int, it's probably the most fitting subclass for you.

Honestly, I would probably take Int and level 4 and 8, as a Bladesinger can be happy with 16 Dex up to level 20, but Int enhanced everything you do, including your melee attacks. And you can use spells to increase your melee damage, like Hold Person, Greater Invisibility, etc.

Shadow Blade works well because it's both an abnormally high damage for a weapon, better than a greatsword even only cast at level two. Combined with being a light weapon means you can dual wield it with no feat needed.

Now, Haste vs. Shadow Blade:

Shadow Blade give you a nice bump in damage over a normal weapon, and as it's not super common to get two good magical weapons, makes a nice counterpart to a magical weapon. It also grants advantage in dim or dark light, which can be really awesome, you'll have advantage when in dim light, and negate the disadvantage of being in dark light, as Elves get darkvision. It also upcasts well, as the extra damage die applies to each attack you make (so two attacks a round, if you hit), whereas most other damage spells only apply the extra die once. Being a second level spell means it can also make efficient use of a spell level that tends to be lackluster at higher levels.

Haste is a great ability and will give you a massive mobility boost from double speed and free Dash or Disengage (Stacks with +10 speed from Bladesong!), and the defensive bump from +2 AC and advantage on Dex saves is pretty sweet. But an extra attack will generally be worth less than a 3d8 (Shadow Blade upcast to level 3) weapon, especially if you are getting advantage on your attacks. The big downside of Haste is being a sitting duck for a round when the spell ends, which can be deadly with a Wizards low health pool. Haste more than any other buff really wants you to find space to get the Resilient (Con) feat (yes, even with Bladesong's concentration buff). Haste can also be used to buff a party member, while Shadow Blade needs a ring of spell storing or equivalent to do that.

Both buffs have their place, and I would definitely learn both spells as a Bladesinger, and decide which is better on a case by case bases.

Tunos
2018-03-23, 09:28 PM
Thoughts on taking three levels in Fighter to get Battlemaster 3? And if so, when would you?

Currently thinking of starting Fighter Half-elf 1 and trading the Skills for a Cantrip (GFB). Then switching to wizard at 2?

As a reminder, Half Elf stats would be 14s in everything, 9 Str, 8 Wis after modifiers.

Blood of Gaea
2018-03-23, 10:11 PM
Thoughts on taking three levels in Fighter to get Battlemaster 3? And if so, when would you?

Currently thinking of starting Fighter Half-elf 1 and trading the Skills for a Cantrip (GFB). Then switching to wizard at 2?

As a reminder, Half Elf stats would be 14s in everything, 9 Str, 8 Wis after modifiers.
The notable things to be gained are Actions Surge, proficiency in Constitution saves, and two maneuvers per short rest (d8). Resilient (con) could be gotten through a feat (while also keeping your Wis proficiency), so that's a moot point. Are Action Surge and a few maneuvers die worth 3 spellcasting levels and Wisdom save proficiency? I would say no, but maybe you disagree.

EK would be arguably a little bit better, as you'd make up one of your spellcasting levels for the investment, and grab a couple extra cantrips. The lost ASI still hurts.

If you were to take any dip at all, I really can't think of anything more suitable than a level or two of Hexblade.

Of course, this is all mechanical advice, so take it with a grain of salt when it comes to making your PC.