PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Feat: Arcane Infusion

tmjr6
2018-03-23, 06:32 PM
Hello everyone, here's a new feat that my bladesinger will be using in an upcoming campaign.

Arcane Infusion
Prerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell of 1st level or higher, proficiency with a martial weapon

You learn an ancient technique to infuse your weapon with a spell for a temporary amount of time. As an action, you can imbue a spell of 1st level or higher into a melee weapon that you are holding. You can only imbue a spell that targets one creature or a spell that has an area, such as a cone, sphere, or cylinder. You cast the spell as normal, but the spell effect does not occur until after the weapon is used in an attack that hits. The weapon holds the spell effect until the end of your next long rest or until it is used in an attack. If you cast a spell that affects one creature, the next time the imbued weapon hits a creature with an attack, the attack deals damage as normal, and then you resolve the spell's effect against the target. If the imbued spell has an area, the creature does not need to be hit for the spell to take effect. Instead you resolve the spell's effect from the space or creature you targeted. If the weapon hits a creature, damage is dealt as normal. Once you resolve the spell's effect, the spell vanishes from the weapon. You can only have one spell imbued in a weapon at a time.

My DM has approved the feat, as I've been known to do a heavy amount of homebrew for our playgroup. He believes that I should add a clause where the infused spell can be no higher than half your proficiency bonus rounded down. I don't think that the restriction is necessary, what do you guys think?

TundraBuccaneer
2018-03-24, 07:13 AM
Talk to your DM about doing a test run for both versions. After like 2-3 games on each version talk about what you think, and then decide which one you'll use.