PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Stupidly cheesey idea for learning wizard spells as a witch

flamewolf393
2018-03-23, 07:51 PM
I am about 70% sure this idea will work, but its 99% likely for *dm throws dice/books at you*

We all know you can use UMD to emulate having a spell on your class list for using a scroll. And as a witch I can turn a scroll into a potion to feed to my familiar, granting it knowledge of the spell. From what I have read, you are treated as though you actually have the spell *on your spell list* when using UMD this way. So make a UMD check to emulate having said wizard spell on your list when you turn the scroll into a potion, then feed the potion to your familiar (maybe the familiar should also make a UMD check? not sure). Congratz, your familiar now knows this wizard spell. For added shenanigans combine this with blood transcription spell.

Maybe I am crazy, but I have not seen any RaW wording that would actually prevent this from working.

Malimar
2018-03-23, 08:21 PM
Even if that works, it doesn't let you cast the spell. After all,

A witch casts arcane spells drawn from the witch spell list.
So if it's not on the witch spell list, it doesn't matter if your familiar knows it, and even if your familiar knowing it allows you to prepare it, you still can't cast it.

Jack_Simth
2018-03-23, 08:23 PM
I am about 70% sure this idea will work, but its 99% likely for *dm throws dice/books at you*

We all know you can use UMD to emulate having a spell on your class list for using a scroll. And as a witch I can turn a scroll into a potion to feed to my familiar, granting it knowledge of the spell. From what I have read, you are treated as though you actually have the spell *on your spell list* when using UMD this way. So make a UMD check to emulate having said wizard spell on your list when you turn the scroll into a potion, then feed the potion to your familiar (maybe the familiar should also make a UMD check? not sure). Congratz, your familiar now knows this wizard spell. For added shenanigans combine this with blood transcription spell.

Maybe I am crazy, but I have not seen any RaW wording that would actually prevent this from working.

UMD lets you activate an item as though it were on your spell list. That'll teach your familiar the spell ... maybe (you're not actually activating the item when you do that). Even if it does, though, when you go to prepare it, it's still not a Witch spell.

MindTheGap97
2018-03-26, 03:04 PM
Yes, this works and allows your familiar to learn the spell, but as others have pointed out it does not mean that you can then cast the spell.