PDA

View Full Version : What domain for a cleric of the law?

Dudewithknives
2018-03-23, 11:15 PM
Had an idea for a cleric, a law is the law kind of guy.
Unwavering devotion to duty and sees order and law the best way to serve his god.

Question is: what domain?

There is no law domain. He is completely LN to the core so nothing too inherently good like life or evil like death.

Any ideas?

Blood of Gaea
2018-03-24, 01:04 AM
War and Light seem like the best fits, but honestly it could work with almost any domain.

Errata
2018-03-24, 01:20 AM
Out of the core domains, I'd go with Knowledge. None of them are immediately obviously a good fit for law. However, when you look at the actual abilities, Knowledge fits a legalistic Cleric pretty well. Double proficiency in Religion and History knowledge could make you an expert on the finer points of secular and theological law. Someone who worships the law should study it like others study holy texts and know it better than almost anyone, so they should be like a holy lawyer, and since clerics are an int-based class, the extra proficiency helps with that. Your Read Thoughts special abilities would be excellent for detecting law breakers, and your other divination bonus spells would further help provide tools for tracking down criminals. The other two abilities are not as specifically thematic, but potent spellcasting and knowledge of the ages are quite mechanically useful.

If you're not tied to the core domains, then solidarity or protection could work.

Wisefool
2018-03-24, 01:27 AM
Thematically, Knowledge and War are the best fits to me. Knowledge if the character leans toward learning the natural law and order of the world. War if the cleric is more duty bound.

Wilb
2018-03-24, 06:17 AM
If its not AL play, you could try out Mike Mearls' Order domain, he's drafted it in his Happy Fun Hour twitch streams and r/dnd at reddit has a thread listing the features, and it seemed to be nice.

KillingTime
2018-03-24, 06:22 AM
Reminds me a little of Astinius the historian from Dragonlance.

I'd go for Knowledge as well.

Quoxis
2018-03-24, 09:50 AM
> search for law deities in google or scag
> pick one
> look at their domain
> problem solved

A cleric seldomly serves a domain, but instead a deity with power over the domain. Why try to go backwards here?

Examples: Amaunator, literal god of law (life, light), Helm (same), maybe Hoar in a sense of „divine law > mortal law“ (war), Kelemvor as the just judge of the dead (death, probably also grave), Torm (war again)...

Dudewithknives
2018-03-24, 10:18 AM
I am thinking:

Arcana: to be able to use some arcane to investigate and gather info. Also helps to know all sided of magic.

Knowledge: very versatile, skills are great to represent his study of the law.

Light: more for the concept of the light of truth than all the fire stuff.

jaappleton
2018-03-24, 10:23 AM
On the Mike Mearls Happy Fun Hour, he worked on an Order Domain that seemed pretty well done.

However, unless you're willing to zoom in on the text while he goes through it, it doesn't exist as a file available for viewing.

Dudewithknives
2018-03-24, 04:17 PM
On the Mike Mearls Happy Fun Hour, he worked on an Order Domain that seemed pretty well done.

However, unless you're willing to zoom in on the text while he goes through it, it doesn't exist as a file available for viewing.

Our dm is pretty good with UA, we can use anything that came out after Xans, but not before it other than the artificer class.

I am fairly sure that a subclass from a youtube show is not going to fly.

I would play a paladin but I want to be a casting focused guy not a melee guy. So I guess potent casting over d8 to damage at level 8 is pretty big too.

Davrix
2018-03-24, 06:28 PM

Yea this would fit your needs but I saw that episode. It seemed a little to good at the time but if your DM is willing to look at the write up via the screen. You two might be able to homebrew w something that fits your table.

Also its not exactly a youtube show its a live twitch stream done by the lead designers of 5th ed :P And most of these will be making a UA showing at some point