PDA

View Full Version : Help with story for a 2 player group

CTurbo
2018-03-24, 02:03 AM
I'm looking for some interesting story ideas for a laid back 2 man group that I'm going to run with my brother-in-law.

Here's what we have so far.

We're both Goliaths. We are the last of our tribe for whatever reason. Actually trying to avoid the overused "something slaughtered the whole tribe but us" trope. Open to suggestions here.

We are both going to start level 1 as Barbarian. I'm going to take Cleric from there and he is going to take Paladin from there.

We're starting at level 5. The stat array will be 16, 15, 14, 14, 10, 8 and probably will not take any feats but we'll see.

I was thinking Str 16, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 8, 16 Wis, 10 Char and taking +2 to Wis at level 5.
His character will start 16 Str, 14 Dex, 16 Con, 10 Int, 8 Wis, 16 Cha and he'll probably take +2 to Str at level 5.

I'm thinking Tempest Cleric, but I've also considered Light, and I'm not sure which Oath he wants, but it will probably be either Devotion, Ancients, or Vengeance depending on the story. If I take Light I may swap the 16 from Str to Dex.

We are both thinking unarmored but probably using a shield. We are thinking Stealth will be at least somewhat important for a 2 man group so definitely no heavy armor for sure.

Anyway about the story, we figured we got taken in by the church at an early age and brought up to serve the church and/or whatever god we decide on. Just looking for a good reason and motivation from there. The ideas for the character in the first place was to play a pair of Goliaths that are barbarians at heart but try to contain their tempers to do good. We will be either LG or NG.

Quick note on our homebrew rage changes.

1. we can rage only once per long rest without suffering a level of exhaustion.
2. rage activates on reaction only. No longer CHOOSING to rage
3. rage lasts until knocked unconscious or until 1 minute of inactivity
4. rage grants +4 to Str for the duration(can be higher than 20 with this)
5. regen Con mod hp at the beginning of each turn while raging up to 50% of total hp similar to Champion's 18th level Survivor feature.
6. all other aspects will remain the same

We do this to make rage more rare but also more devastating. We will treat it as a last resort kind of tactic. We will not trigger it easily. It'll take something like getting hit by a crit, or one of us dropping to 0hp or public humiliation or something. We are even considering making rage involuntary for extra flavor.

Rage can and will be a negative thing as we will be spellcasters, and entering a rage will obviously end all spells probably for the remainder of that encounter.

So that's pretty much it. We're looking for some good motivation for a reason to campaign. Trying to avoid the usual revenge idea. Why would the church send us out? What is a good choice of god for us to serve?

Chugger
2018-03-24, 05:06 AM
I'm not sure about your changes to rage - and if you're non-rager ex-barbarian Goliaths going out to do stuff.... well okay, why not?

You seem to have a natural built-in story in that they're trying to remake themselves - be less crude - be more civilized and less barbaric. Why would they do that? Did someone look down on them? Are they tired of living in a cave or a yurt and wanna fit in w/ city people? Did they perhaps learn that their people originated in a city a ways back and they want to revert to that heritage?

Why do you want to play them as non-rage barbarians splitting off into other things? What made you go that way? If it was "just to be different" ... okay, do they just want to be different?

What features does this world have that they're in that might influence them? Is there a lot of chaos that needs to be stopped? Some force threatening to change things in a bad way? A mysterious event that caused certain areas to change - and people vanish there - and it needs to be investigated and ...?

Unoriginal
2018-03-24, 06:56 AM
You're going to be the DM and a player at the same time?

CTurbo
2018-03-24, 01:48 PM
Yes I am going to DM and run a character at the same time. This is just a laid back campaign for me and my brother in law to run at family get togethers and things. We may switch up and let him DM at some point.

I know the changes to rage are strong, that's why I was thinking that in may need to be triggered involuntarily.