PDA

View Full Version : Viable Alternative to Druid Summons?

BreaktheStatue
2018-03-24, 05:18 AM
BLUF:Replace the ability to cast the spells Conjure Animals and Conjure Woodland Beings, with what essentially amounts to one, permanent fey companion, who can manifest as either a beast or fey, depending on your character level, and who, for all other intents and purposes, would have the same powers and other limitations that it would have if produced by those spells. The new companion requires no slots to summon or concentration.

I'm a relatively new DnD player, but I've fallen in love with the flavor of "natural" builds - druids, rangers, forest anything, etc. The Circle of the Shepherd druid sounds awesome to me. The only problem is, it seems like one of the Circle's main strengths/exploits is to spam and buff low-CR summons to basically zerg rush whomever you want - and that you're handicapping yourself if you *don't* do this.

That seems like a recipe for bookkeeping hell, and annoying everyone else at the table by gumming-up initiative (“Hey, I’m casting this as a 5th Level spell, so here are 16 of whatever to deal with”).

So my proposal is this:

At Druid Level 5, instead of gaining the “Conjure Animals” spell, you get one CR 2 (or less) fey (in the form of an animal) to be your permanent magical fey/animal companion. You don’t need slots or concentration to summon it, and if it drops to zero, it disappears, and you can summon it again later. It wouldn’t get special powers beyond anything described in the spell, nor would it function as a familiar (no casting spells through it, seeing through it, etc.), although you still apply the Circle of the Shepherd buffs to it.

At Druid Level 7, your magical companion can take the form of a CR 2 or less fey, if you want (For RP purposes, this could be the same fey who revealed themselves to you as an animal at Level 5).

I wouldn’t change the way the Conjure (Minor) Elementals or Conjure Fey spells. Those stay as is.

As a player, I get a decently strong, but not overpowered, summon - and free-up slots and concentration - but sacrifice the versatility of the spell, and the potential to zerg. The DM gets predictability (and potential for plot hooks, depending on how fleshed-out the fey companion becomes).

I’m not married to the CR rating of the summons. I think that, and deciding what form the companion takes, would be up to the DM.

Would you, as a DM, consider allowing this?

A Fat Dragon
2018-03-24, 07:03 AM
I would allow this, as it seems relatively balanced. I would make the spell to cast it say, have a small gold cost, and can only be casted as a ritual during a rest.

Beyond that I really like this. Would you mind if I asked my DM if I could do this on one of my druids? It’s creative and I think it would add a nice twist to gameplay and role play.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-03-24, 07:25 AM
Maybe you could do something with replacing the Shepherd's 6th level ability, but what you're suggesting is a huge buff, especially since you're replacing an optional spell. Don't want Conjure Animals? Prepare Sleet Storm instead. Or Call Lightning, or Dispel Magic, or Erupting Earth... Druids have plenty of good options.

What I would allow might be... oh, swapping Mighty Summoner for something along the lines of the Shadow Sorcerer's Hound of Ill Omen. Spend a 3rd level slot, get a specific CR ~1 beast as a Concentration-free summon for 5 minutes. Maybe upgrading to a CR 2-3 Fey if you spend a 6th level slot. Or a special "Conjure Animal" spell that can only produce one specific beastie, but without Concentration. Any way you slice it, there needs to be a cost.

Caelic
2018-03-24, 07:31 AM
Bear in mind, too, that the problem you're describing is not limited to the druid. Necromancers present the same "Zerg rush" scenario; heck, any caster who can cast Animate Objects does.

Dr. Cliché
2018-03-24, 07:33 AM
I'd allow this, but I think there would need to be some sort of cost.

Maybe you have one fewer 3rd level spell slot and one fewer known spell?

BreaktheStatue
2018-03-24, 07:36 AM
I would allow this, as it seems relatively balanced. I would make the spell to cast it say, have a small gold cost, and can only be casted as a ritual during a rest.

Beyond that I really like this. Would you mind if I asked my DM if I could do this on one of my druids? It’s creative and I think it would add a nice twist to gameplay and role play.

Thank you, and no, not at all.

BreaktheStatue
2018-03-24, 07:42 AM
Maybe you could do something with replacing the Shepherd's 6th level ability, but what you're suggesting is a huge buff, especially since you're replacing an optional spell. Don't want Conjure Animals? Prepare Sleet Storm instead. Or Call Lightning, or Dispel Magic, or Erupting Earth... Druids have plenty of good options.

What I would allow might be... oh, swapping Mighty Summoner for something along the lines of the Shadow Sorcerer's Hound of Ill Omen. Spend a 3rd level slot, get a specific CR ~1 beast as a Concentration-free summon for 5 minutes. Maybe upgrading to a CR 2-3 Fey if you spend a 6th level slot. Or a special "Conjure Animal" spell that can only produce one specific beastie, but without Concentration. Any way you slice it, there needs to be a cost.

That's a fair compromise, but I guess my main argument is that with the Circle of the Shepherd, summons are a big part of the build. The totems are cool and everything, but I would like to embrace the summoning aspect of the build without making it obnoxious for the DM and party. Summoning definitely is optional, but if I wanted to cast non-summon spells, I'd just go Land. This was not a contest to see how many times I could say summoning in one paragraph.

EDIT: Yeah, swapping-out Mighty Summoner for something else actually sounds like a really good option. I was concerned that a permanent fey companion might sort of turn into a quasi-NPC (and that is a lot of power), but I couldn't think of a better alternative. Thank you for the suggestion.

BreaktheStatue
2018-03-24, 07:43 AM
I'd allow this, but I think there would need to be some sort of cost.

Maybe you have one fewer 3rd level spell slot and one fewer known spell?

That's also a good compromise. Sorry for spamming, everyone. I just say that the multi-response thing is an option.

BreaktheStatue
2018-03-24, 10:24 PM
And I didn't even think about it until now, but I guess I could always Awaken a wolf or something if I wanted a semi-permanent animal companion.