PDA

View Full Version : Captured by Baba Yaga

Winds of Nagual
2018-03-24, 08:00 AM
Ok... so I am planning a long session in Baba Yaga's hut. I want the party to find 8 cells with captives. Who would Baba Yaga have imprisoned? A demon Lord? A serial killer? A hair dresser that wasn't up to snuff? Who should the pcs release and who should stay behind bars?

DrMotives
2018-03-24, 08:15 AM
Well, Baba Yaga is Russian, so I'd start by looking into Russian folklore for inspiration. There is an article on fey creatures of Slavic folklore in magazine #290, including things like the Rusalka (an evil mermaid-like fey), the Vodyanoi (a male Russian water spirit), the Vila (kinda like a Valkyrie), plus a couple others. The Norse myths were also full of BBEGs like fire giants & frost giants, giant wolves, and great dragonlike monsters who are to come at the end of the world. Baba Yaga, as a villain herself, could also have captured a few would-be heroes she found snooping around.

Zaq
2018-03-24, 10:25 AM
What level/CR are you making Baba Yaga? I see her as being firmly Epic, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that your game is the same way.

Winds of Nagual
2018-03-24, 11:58 AM
Pcs are around lol 5-6. She is actually hunting the pcs out to mutually complete a quest. They won't fight. I hope.

Blue Wizard
2018-03-24, 12:38 PM
Baba Yaga?

Considering the length and depth of her magic in fairy tales, you could easily stick Elminster and Raistlin in her cells and it would be believable.

Arutema
2018-03-25, 04:17 AM
Her estranged son; Rasputin (http://paizo.com/products/btpy8wbv?Pathfinder-Adventure-Path-71-Rasputin-Must-Die).

drack
2018-03-25, 06:52 AM
Babba Yagga eats bad kids, so if you don't wanna hype it up too much but just was some good moral saving people in your campaign they could just be NPC little boys and girls. I think I recall hearing that the fence around her cabin is made of human bones. It's worth noting however that Babba Yagga isn't really evil evil, but a powerful witch who's attuned with the elements and occasionally commits evil acts against evil people. Mind you, she's scary looking enough to make her come off as evil regardless. ...or at least that's what I recall off the top of my head. You're the GM so make her what you need her to be, and yes, anything from CR1-20's probably fair game. If ya wanna add some zest you could even have things like a princess from an evil monster race or the like who, while happy to be saved, would just as willingly eat the PCs once they're safe. Again, don't really know what's happened in the game leading up to this so use your own judgement, I'm just spreading creative mulch for your mind to utilize. :smallsmile:

Her estranged son; Rasputin (http://paizo.com/products/btpy8wbv?Pathfinder-Adventure-Path-71-Rasputin-Must-Die).

XD

martixy
2018-03-25, 09:20 AM
Well, Baba Yaga is Russian, so I'd start by looking into Russian folklore for inspiration.
That sentence is sooooo incorrect.

Slavic ≠ russian.

As far as the Baba goes, she's quite capricious and easy to slight. You can think of her more of as a force of nature rather than another actor with an agenda. If a celestial fought a demon because he'd just sacrificed a child, she'd just as well imprison both for disturbing her peace. She wouldn't subscribe to familiar notions of morality. Her motives would be inscrutable.