PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Rod of Lordly Might question

TheChangelingMC
2018-03-24, 09:20 AM
So a party I'm in got insanely lucky on a loot roll table and got a Rod of Lordly Might really early in a campaign. While fighting something today we came across a ridiculous situation and we just wanted to make sure we understand it correctly.

The Paralysis feature of the rod allows you to paralyze a creature on a DC17 Strength save for a minute and the creature can attempt the saving throw again at the end of it's turns. But the paralyzed condition means you automatically fail Strength saves.

So is the creature just permanently paralyzed for the full duration because it keeps failing automatically?

This is on Roll20 so it might just be an error where they've copied over the wrong saving throw but I wanted to check because otherwise that's an insane condition to impose.

Unoriginal
2018-03-24, 09:25 AM
So a party I'm in got insanely lucky on a loot roll table and got a Rod of Lordly Might really early in a campaign. While fighting something today we came across a ridiculous situation and we just wanted to make sure we understand it correctly.

The Paralysis feature of the rod allows you to paralyze a creature on a DC17 Strength save for a minute and the creature can attempt the saving throw again at the end of it's turns. But the paralyzed condition means you automatically fail Strength saves.

So is the creature just permanently paralyzed for the full duration because it keeps failing automatically?

This is on Roll20 so it might just be an error where they've copied over the wrong saving throw but I wanted to check because otherwise that's an insane condition to impose.

Specifics trump generals. While a paralyzed target would normally auto-fail the save, the magic item's text is clear: those under the Rod's effect *can* attempt the STR save each turn and end the effect on a success, rather than auto-failing it. It's a special save.

They would auto-fail all the other STR saves that would be inflicted to them while paralyzed, however.

Vorpalchicken
2018-03-24, 09:35 AM
This appears to be correct as written. Unless the foe can use a legendary save, it looks like it's down for the count. Strength for a paralysis saving throw is pretty odd though .

I think most DMs would change it to constitution after making this realization, especially after handing it out at an early level.

Edit- or do what unoriginal suggested

JackPhoenix
2018-03-24, 09:51 AM
Think of this this way: Unlike Hold Person or paralytic toxins, the rod bounds the victim physically (invisible bands of force or something?). It's better than normal manacles or other restraints, because it affects the whole body. The victim can't move, but it can strain against the bindings, potentially breaking them, even if it can't jump out of the way of Fireball or defend itself against other effects that would require an ability to move while it's bound.

Unoriginal
2018-03-24, 10:45 AM
I must say, though, if you're that low level and it becomes known you have an item that powerful... well, there are more than one warlord or thief who would kill to have it.

It's not a "must punish players/PCs for their luck" or "vindicative DM can't handle PCs being powerful", it's just a normal consequence for such a situation.

I mean, imagine if after the first Harry Potter book, Ron Weasley had looted the Philosopher Stone and it was public knowledge he walked around town with it in his pocket.

Or imagine Luke Skywalker going in Mos Esley while it was known by everyone that R2 D2 has the Death Star plans.

This is one step removed from "Frodo has the One Ring".

Angelalex242
2018-03-24, 04:29 PM
I must say, though, if you're that low level and it becomes known you have an item that powerful... well, there are more than one warlord or thief who would kill to have it.

It's not a "must punish players/PCs for their luck" or "vindicative DM can't handle PCs being powerful", it's just a normal consequence for such a situation.

I mean, imagine if after the first Harry Potter book, Ron Weasley had looted the Philosopher Stone and it was public knowledge he walked around town with it in his pocket.

Or imagine Luke Skywalker going in Mos Esley while it was known by everyone that R2 D2 has the Death Star plans.

This is one step removed from "Frodo has the One Ring".

On the other hand, King Arthur got Excalibur early in his career and held onto it just fine. Mostly.

Unoriginal
2018-03-24, 04:46 PM
On the other hand, King Arthur got Excalibur early in his career and held onto it just fine. Mostly.

Actually, he didn't. Well, depending of the version of the legend, of course, but in all of them, when he got the Sword in the Stone (which was not Excalibur until later authors combined the two), he also got the whole kingdom. Which make it easier to defend your shinies.

By most sources he was an amazing knight before getting it.

SociopathFriend
2018-03-24, 11:22 PM
Actually, he didn't. Well, depending of the version of the legend, of course, but in all of them, when he got the Sword in the Stone (which was not Excalibur until later authors combined the two), he also got the whole kingdom. Which make it easier to defend your shinies.

By most sources he was an amazing knight before getting it.

Holy **** finally someone else knows Excalibur wasn't always the sword in the stone.

Angelalex242
2018-03-25, 01:40 AM
Holy **** finally someone else knows Excalibur wasn't always the sword in the stone.

The original sword in the stone was Caliburn, I believe.

Excalibur was given, along with the OP sheath, by the Lady of the Lake.