PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 elf? So what’s your other 1/2

Whit
2018-03-24, 01:22 PM
First which 1/2 elf are you?
Sun moon wood drow etc

Then what’s the other 1/2 race and the sub race of that other 1/2

Human ,dwarf , gnome , 1/2 orc would that make you 1/4 orc? Dragonborn, halfling

Or if your using vols can you be 1/2 elf tabaxi or lizard man?

MaxWilson
2018-03-24, 01:23 PM
First which 1/2 elf are you?
Sun moon wood drow etc

Then what’s the other 1/2 race and the sub race of that other 1/2

Human ,dwarf , gnome , 1/2 orc would that make you 1/4 orc? Dragonborn, halfling

Or if your using vols can you be 1/2 elf tabaxi or lizard man?

I'm half elf and half halfling. I'm a 3/4ling.

Matrix_Walker
2018-03-24, 01:28 PM
I think humans are the only race capable of interbreeding with other humanoids.

Even Succubi/incubi only produce offspring with humans, and they're demonic.

ZorroGames
2018-03-24, 01:29 PM
I'm half elf and half halfling. I'm a 3/4ling.

Cue rimshot...

ZorroGames
2018-03-24, 01:34 PM

That was the assumption in OD&D until a local DM worked the aporoximate genetic ratio of half elf children (“Idle hands...”) from an elf and a human. This led to the obvious insane extrapolations for halflings, gnomes, yada-yada-yada crosses until we just decided that we were suffering from a “Dallas” dream sequence...

That way lies madness!
:smalleek:

Quoxis
2018-03-24, 01:37 PM
According to Xanathar’s guide, half-races can also have two of the same half-races as parents - now that leaves the question what happens when a half-orc and an orc or a half-elf and an elf breed, or even more difficult: what if a half-wood-elf and a half-aquatic-elf (exists by RAW, see scag) breed? Quarter-Quarter-Half-Something?

Whit
2018-03-24, 01:41 PM
Would that be a waterlogged 1/2 elf.

Anyway what if my characters parents were a runaway male drow slave no class and a female paladin svirfneblin who saved him

Tiadoppler
2018-03-24, 01:48 PM
A Human/Centaur is called a quarterhorse

A Sea Elf/Winged Elf is called a penguin-elf

A Human/Tiefling is called a "Faustian Bargain"

A Drow/High Elf is called an "Awkward Parent-Teacher Conference"

When a Human and an Elf marry, the standard prenup requires that the human refer to the elf as "My Better Half" in polite conversation

Balyano
2018-03-24, 01:51 PM
What I would like to know is what a ''Ling'' is. We only know of it through its hybrid form. And there must be more than one variety or maybe they sometimes breed with different races. Like if a Dwarf has a child with a Ling then you get a Stout Half-Ling. Perhaps the Lite-Foot Half-Ling is part Elf? Perhaps part Wood-Elf due to both being good at hide and seek?

And of course Half-Lings are know for their luck. And that must come from the Ling side, since this obviously rare race gets "lucky" so often with other races that their hybrid offspring are extremely widespread.

Ralanr
2018-03-24, 02:02 PM

Nope. Orcs. Especially since orcs can breed with ogres too.

Though orc and elf hybrids never come up strangely given well...the implications of orcs.

Millstone85
2018-03-24, 02:11 PM
According to Xanathar’s guide, half-races can also have two of the same half-races as parents - now that leaves the question what happens when a half-orc and an orc or a half-elf and an elf breedXGtE answered those questions too. It makes a half-orc and a half-elf. Same when a human breeds with a half-orc or a half-elf.

Spiritchaser
2018-03-24, 02:45 PM
I generally let my players play pretty fast and loose with this, but mechanically they have to pick a standard race, with all its racial bonuse,perks feats etc.

The Jack
2018-03-24, 03:26 PM

It's explicitly stated that Ogres could mate with at least humans, orcs and hobgoblins to produce half ogres in the monster manual.

I think Hobs, Gith, goliaths... probably all similar enough to human that you could fluff them in without a mechanical change.

Oh, there's half-dragons, dragons can do it with anything... but I'll leave that for now. I think that's basically Race+extra dragon features and thus easy to deal with. A dragon/elf pairing would make a "full" elf augmented with dragon stuffs.

mephnick
2018-03-24, 03:29 PM
I chose Half Elf so the other half is probably munchkin.

Regitnui
2018-03-24, 04:27 PM
Time for arithmetic, boys and girls!
Human + Elf = Half-elf
Human + Half-elf = Half-elf
Elf + Half-elf= Half-elf
Half-elf + Half-elf = Half-elf
Half-elves have a good reason to feel superior to their two parent races. There's no way to breed "elf" out of a half-elf, nor "human". While they're not all identical with the ratio of just how pointy their ears are, they're all half-elves.

And someone asked what an aquatic elf + human makes? Drowned human or asphyxiated elf. Aquatic half-elves, by my ruling, don't exist. They're too different to human.

DireSickFish
2018-03-24, 04:39 PM

In my setting this role is given to Elves because the Elven god is the godess of life. And with that comes fertility....

Naanomi
2018-03-24, 04:43 PM
Aquatic elves can and do go on land for extended periods of time, plenty of chance for breeding

Historically, humans can breed with Elves, Orcs, Ogres; and with magical assistance Dwarves and Giants as well. They are also compatible with a few more exotic things as well; and if you mix things up too much you are just left with a ‘mogrolfolk’ mess

Ogres and Orcs can breed as well, and possibly Orcs and other giant types

Goblinoids can breed amongst each other, but don’t ‘crossbreed’... the children are a pure breed of what the mother is in most situations.

Dragons can breed with nearly anything

Outsiders and Elementals can breed with nearly anything as well, though ‘breeding’ is a much less physical process for those races anyways

DnDegenerates
2018-03-25, 09:04 AM
There's an adventurers league module, murder at the stop, with a half-orc/half-dwarf in it.

Caelic
2018-03-25, 09:28 AM
In our current campaign, I'm playing a half-elf. The other half of the parentage is unknown--but given that "dad" showed up to steal my twin sister, I intend to find out who and what he is.