PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Dervish questions

Lady Alysha
2018-03-24, 03:10 PM
I have a couple of questions concerning the Dervish, which I hope you can help me with.

1) Can a Dervish cast a spell while performing a dervish dance? The description of the dance says that it cannot to abilities that require concentration:

"While dancing, a dervish cannot use skills or
abilities that involve concentration or require her to remain
still, such as Move Silently, Hide, or Search."

Does casting a spell require concentration?
I know that if you get hit while casting a spell, you have to do a concentration check.

2) If the answer to the question above is no, could it do it with the Melodic Casting feat?

Benefit: Whenever a Concentration check would be required to cast a spell or use a spell-like ability (such as when you cast defensively or are distracted or injured while casting), you can make a Perform check instead.
In addition, you can cast spells and activate magic items by command word or spell completion while using a bardic music ability.

Apparently, this feat replaces Concentration with Perform. Could you therefore say that with this feat casting spells now require Perform instead of Concentration?

What if you were under the undersong spell?

This spell brings to your mind a song that helps you retain your concentration. The song does not distract you from any task at hand—on the contrary, by humming along to the tune, you can focus your mind with ease. As long as this spell is in effect, you can make a Perform check in place of a Concentration check.

In terms of replacing Concentration with Perform, it seems to do the same.

3) When does a dervish dance end?
Suppose the Dervish had initiated a dance. She is then grappled for a couple of rounds. Or stunned by a spell. Or... whatever... After she gets out of that condition, does she continue the dance or is the dance ended?

4) Retraining silly prerequisite feats?
Can I use retraning/psychic reformation or Chaos Shuffle to trade Dodge, Mobility and Weapon Focus for more useful feats? I wouldn't be meeting any longer the requirements for a Dervish.

5) Using feats granted by items to qualify for a prestige class?
Do you allow the Mobility armor enhancement to qualify for a prestige class (like Dervish in this case)? What happens if you seel that armor or if you lose it? How does this loss affect the prestige class for which it helped qualifying for?

Thanks a lot.

Falontani
2018-03-24, 04:00 PM
I have a couple of questions concerning the Dervish, which I hope you can help me with.

1) Can a Dervish cast a spell while performing a dervish dance? The description of the dance says that it cannot to abilities that require concentration:
I doubt they could, and if they could I would say that any Concentration spell wouldn't be allowed

Does casting a spell require concentration?
I know that if you get hit while casting a spell, you have to do a concentration check.

Yes

2) If the answer to the question above is no, could it do it with the Melodic Casting feat?

I dont see why not, at least by RAW

Apparently, this feat replaces Concentration with Perform. Could you therefore say that with this feat casting spells now require Perform instead of Concentration?

Yes

What if you were under the undersong spell?

Same answer

In terms of replacing Concentration with Perform, it seems to do the same.

Correct

3) When does a dervish dance end?
Suppose the Dervish had initiated a dance. She is then grappled for a couple of rounds. Or stunned by a spell. Or... whatever... After she gets out of that condition, does she continue the dance or is the dance ended?

By RAW no, however I would consider having it end

4) Retraining silly prerequisite feats?
Can I use retraning/psychic reformation or Chaos Shuffle to trade Dodge, Mobility and Weapon Focus for more useful feats? I wouldn't be meeting any longer the requirements for a Dervish.

With complete warrior you specifically can NOT do that, however from Tome of Battle and Magic of Incarnum there are alternatives to dodge that will work and aren't as bad.

5) Using feats granted by items to qualify for a prestige class?
Do you allow the Mobility armor enhancement to qualify for a prestige class (like Dervish in this case)? What happens if you seel that armor or if you lose it? How does this loss affect the prestige class for which it helped qualifying for?

Yes a mobility item would count, but the moment that you no longer were wearing the mobility item the class features would be unavailable until you began wearing it again. So dont let it get s

Thanks a lot.

Answers in RED

Lady Alysha
2018-03-25, 04:51 PM
Answers in RED

Many thanks!