PDA

View Full Version : Nonstandard Arrays?

Protato
2018-03-24, 06:46 PM
Has anyone here used a nonstandard array? I use one that goes 18 16 14 12 10 8 in a game I'm DMing and while it means my characters are powerful, it still gives a decent level of customization and requires a character to have a flaw. There's also the Low, Heroic, and Epic Fantasy arrays, and I never hear of people using them.

Davrix
2018-03-24, 06:50 PM
Has anyone here used a nonstandard array? I use one that goes 18 16 14 12 10 8 in a game I'm DMing and while it means my characters are powerful, it still gives a decent level of customization and requires a character to have a flaw. There's also the Low, Heroic, and Epic Fantasy arrays, and I never hear of people using them.

Specifically in 5th I don't mind the players starting off a little more powerful because it lets them have some wiggle room to have a few feats instead of trying to max out their starting core stat.

Mongobear
2018-03-24, 06:58 PM
I usually do the 'Standard Array' but with an extra +1 to everything, or even +2 if I want a high power game.

Or, point buy, but increasing the budget, and breaking the cap on max stats allowing up to a 19 after Racials. (Cant start the game with a 20 in any stat.)

If I want a "normal" game, I just give everyone a Feat at level 1, and ban V.Human.

bc56
2018-03-24, 07:23 PM
I've thought about having each player roll, and then choose any of the arrays generated from that. It's not technically an array, but the concept is similar enough.

ross
2018-03-24, 07:44 PM
8d6 drop 5

Matrix_Walker
2018-03-24, 07:50 PM

I have not done so, but I have contemplated doing the very same array.

Spiritchaser
2018-03-24, 07:51 PM
I've thought about having each player roll, and then choose any of the arrays generated from that. It's not technically an array, but the concept is similar enough.

I tried this once, everyone rolled, then pick whatever stats suited

As it happened, there was one set that was clearly better than the rest, and everyone picked it

Ive also toyed with some higher than normal arrays, but nothing with an 18...

I seriously doubt it’d be too much of a problem

Blood of Gaea
2018-03-24, 09:12 PM
If you want something different, but balanced for the party, have the whole group roll up one set of numbers, then everyone uses that array.

CTurbo
2018-03-25, 12:34 AM
I love non standard arrays. I use them most of the time, or when I don't use them, I have every player roll and then anybody can pick anybody's rolls for their own.

I like non standard arrays because you can play an odd race/class combo and still start with a 16 in your main stat.

My arrays are usually something like 16, 15, 14, 11, 10, 9 or 16, 14, 13, 12, 11, 8

I don't like being TOO overpowered, but I've seen some pretty silly rolls before. I had a 20 Str, 16 Dex, 18 Con, 18 Cha Paladin at level 1 due to some silly rolls.

The last campaign I DMed the group chose the "best roll" which had two 18s, two 16s, and a 6 lol so everybody had a 6 in something

I also like giving each character a free random feat at level 1. I make them roll for it, and then they work it into their back story. It's fun.

hymer
2018-03-25, 12:55 AM
In my current campaign, I use a series of arrays (http://nanmehtar.wikispaces.com/Stat+Arrays) that the players can choose between.

WrittenInBlood
2018-03-25, 02:59 AM
How about odd array?

15, 13, 13, 11, 11, 9 (and +1 to any non-highest).

It's thought for low-power start and no Variant Human, makes Standard Human appealing for MAD classes.

Uzgul
2018-03-25, 03:38 AM
There's also the Low, Heroic, and Epic Fantasy arrays, and I never hear of people using them.
Never heard of these. Are they printed somewhere?

Luccan
2018-03-25, 03:48 AM
I've used them in 3.5. In fact, my first group always used non-standard rolling or arrays, because we liked playing with high stats. Even when I first DMd I used a slightly increased version of the standard, just because I didn't like playing with a minus and didn't want my players to have to either. I still don't like it all the time, but it works for some concepts. Haven't used them in 5e though. So far all my DMs want standard pointbuy, which generally works fine, but is a bit rough if you don't choose a race/class combo with good synergy. I mean, you can do it, but it feels like you're missing something for at least the first few levels. I think next time I DM I'll do rolling with the option of Point Buy if you don't at least match that number of points.

2D8HP
2018-03-25, 10:25 PM
Has anyone here used a nonstandard array? I use one that goes 18 16 14 12 10 8 in a game I'm DMing...

If a standard game was also available?

All else being equal, I'd go with a standard array game, not because I have anything against my PC's having non-standard stats per say, while it may just be happenstance but most every time I play in a game where the DM has PC's start as more powerful (above first level, higher stats, wealthier and/or with magic-items, et cetera), I have less fun and the games flameout sooner.

Once bitten, twice shy.