PDA

View Full Version : Legendary Actions/Saves: the power of stories?

Unoriginal
2018-03-24, 08:02 PM
As any Bard will tell you, words have power. And since they contain a lot of words, stories have a lot of power.

What would you think of the idea that monsters who have Legendary Actions and Saves have them *because* legends about them exist? As in, they are empowered by the stories themselves?

I know it's most likely the reverse (ie the monster is has some particular resistance/powers, so they become legendary as a result), but it's just a silly idea I had.

EdenIndustries
2018-03-24, 08:41 PM
As any Bard will tell you, words have power. And since they contain a lot of words, stories have a lot of power.

What would you think of the idea that monsters who have Legendary Actions and Saves have them *because* legends about them exist? As in, they are empowered by the stories themselves?

I know it's most likely the reverse (ie the monster is has some particular resistance/powers, so they become legendary as a result), but it's just a silly idea I had.

I like it! Would there be a way for players to eliminate the legends about that creature and thus remove their Legendary Actions/Resistances? I'm reminded of the way the goddess Kiaransalee in the Forgotten Realms was removed from existance through magic that wiped her name from the minds of mortals and gods (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Kiaransalee)

Tiadoppler
2018-03-24, 08:57 PM
I really like this idea! It's very Discworld.

What if players at level 20+ can gain legendary actions/resistances (Epic Boons) by spreading their own legends across the world? I'm thinking mostly bards sharing Chuck Norris style jokes :D