PDA

View Full Version : Help me create Godzilla as a PC

Noobsauce
2018-03-24, 08:07 PM
I want to build a PC inspired by Godzilla. There are really three things I'd like to do to make this build work, and besides that we can optimize it however we like.

https://icdn2.digitaltrends.com/image/american-godzilla-720x720.jpg?ver=1.jpg

1) I am a Dragonborn or a Lizardfolk character.
2) I have some level of access to the "Enlargement" spell
3) I deal damage by hitting things with my claws/tail/etc. Basically I am not wielding any weapons, I could be naked for all I care and have my offensive arsenal ready.

Bonus points for other flavorful things, like the Lizardfolks' bite, the Dragonborn's breath/dragon fear shout. Barbarian's rage/increased structural damage with the bear totem. Also would prefer Dragonborn to Lizardfolk, as I feel like Lizardfolk are more restrictive from an RP setting. I'm pretty new to D&D (still have never played a game!), so I was hoping to flesh this idea out before hand. Thanks!

Vorpalchicken
2018-03-24, 09:03 PM
Easiest thing would probably be to polymorph into a T-rex at level 8. And have a buddy cast dragon's breath on you. Maybe a familiar with a ring of spell storing? OK that part is a long shot.

A moon druid could wildshape into an allosaurus at level 6.

If you really want to be a bigger version of your lizardy race: Using obscure unearthed arcana articles (not recommended for beginners) you could play a primeval guardian ranger and just get large sized at level 3. Technically you would look tree-like but you could reflavour that perhaps. You could multiclass sorcerer or something and further enlarge yourself to huge. (3 levels sorcerer minimum) This would be mostly just show because you would still just do only 2d4ish damage with natural weaponry.

Davrix
2018-03-24, 09:31 PM
Lets see taking the dragonborn feat that lets you make claw attacks will help. The real problem being honestly your just never going to see the size or scale you wish out of Godzilla and there is already a monster vs of him in the game.

Mmm personal I think as a DM I would have you start as a normal dragon born fighter champion or I suppose if your the Godzilla that flew through the air on wires, a open palm monk :)

Then I would have a magic item you find that would slowly transform you into Godzilla, gaining claw and bite attacks along with the breath weapon and increasing size and strength. Something I could scale and manage. The reason for this is simple. your either going to have to resort to cheap tricks like polymorph and spells to get your way or customize other classes to capture the feel. So i think starting you off with a solid base and editing slowly upward will keep you in line with the party and not make me as the DM tear my hair out.

That all being said I know its not the answer your really looking for but maybe someone else has a better idea how to handle his.

A Fat Dragon
2018-03-24, 09:44 PM
Yeah, I’d recommend going Red Dragonborn Re-skinned Primeval Ranger. Ask your DM if you can take two weapon fighting, and reskin your Shortsword/Longsword/Flail/Whatever into Natural Attacks. Have one for bite, claw, and tail. Have your favored enemies be Humanoids, and then Constructs, for the whole Destroying-Human-Cities type of deal.

For Feats, Grab Dragon Hide and Dragon Fear, though Dragon Hide is more important as it allows you to run around naked and still have a decent AC.

Don’t think Rangers have Enlarge/Reduce, but if your dm is fine with it, replace one of your current known spells of the same leve with Enlarge/Reduce. Same with Catapult if you want to throw stuff around and be all “RAWR!”. Grab Zephyr Strike, as it’s a solid spell, and pretty nice. Same with getting Polymorph, as you can be a T-Rex, if you want more of that feel (Mini Godzilla transform into... AVERAGE SIZED GODZILLA!)

Also, not important, but if you do assign weight/height to your characters, simply do maxmized rolling for DragonBorn on the PHB rolling chart. Then, for good measure, add an extra foot to height and an extra 50 pounds to weight. Should give you that for your RP purposes.

For proficiencies, I’d say Intimidation, Survival, Athletics, and Performance (What? Watching him destroy cities is entertaining).

Stats, go Strength > Constitution > Dexterity > Wisdom > Charisma > Intelligence. Though, feel free to swap Dexterity if you wish to be more AC heavy than HP Heavy.

Background, I’d say Outlander, considering you basically are an animal. I don’t feel like I have to explain this, as it fits both mechanically and personality-wise.

Beyond that, up to you really. Choose whatever feels right for the rest of your spells, proficiencies, personality traits, and alignment (Though Chaotic Neutral would be appropriate IMO).

Elminster298
2018-03-25, 12:20 AM
I would actually suggest blue dragonborn bearbarian with magic initiate to get eldritch blast(refluffed as your breath weapon when your dragonborn breath is not available). Farely simple although you would still need a way to get enlarge...

Quoz
2018-03-25, 03:25 AM
I'm not all that familiar with the latest version of the UA but mystic has some great options for making a massive brute.

If we're ok with total refluff, the minotaur is a great race. 1d10 unarmed attack and good abilities to shove people around.

Radiant soul monk gives the unarmed attacks, at will ranged energy blasts, and unarmed defense.

Aett_Thorn
2018-03-25, 07:00 AM
I'm not all that familiar with the latest version of the UA but mystic has some great options for making a massive brute.

Going to second this. If UA is allowed, and Immortal Mystic would tick a lot of the boxes you’re looking for. Giant Form for growing in size, and Corrosive Metabolism for having access to breath weapons. You can even get a few good fear options.

Unktena
2018-05-22, 06:53 AM
Going to second this. If UA is allowed, and Immortal Mystic would tick a lot of the boxes you’re looking for. Giant Form for growing in size, and Corrosive Metabolism for having access to breath weapons. You can even get a few good fear options.

Giant Form, Corrosive Metabolism, and Bestial Form at first level, and be sure to choose the immortal order. After them, I'd pick up Mastery of Light and Darkness from the Wu Jen disciplines, for that radiant beam, but before then you should pick up either Mantle of Fear or Mastery of Lightning. Go with blue or bronze for your demonic ancestry, though you can still choose Lizardfolk if you want the swim speed early on. If you choose Dragonborn, ask your DM if you can somehow get access to alter self for the swim speed. If he says no, don't worry, it just means you'll just have to wait a bit longer before being able to swim underwater and still breathe.

Your stat preferences should be Strength, Constitution, Intelligence, Dexterity, Wisdom, Charisma. I put Dexterity in the lower half of the list because godzilla is rather clumsy, and the Bestial Form can give you bonus AC. Nice thing is that the Bestial Form doesn't need concentration, so you can use it in tandem with Giant Form.

For feat preferences I'd get the racial feats for Dragonborn, more specifically Dragon Hide.

I agree with maxing out your height-weight ratio suggested above.

Tetrasodium
2018-05-22, 07:10 AM
I want to build a PC inspired by Godzilla. There are really three things I'd like to do to make this build work, and besides that we can optimize it however we like.

3) I deal damage by hitting things with my claws/tail/etc. Basically I am not wielding any weapons, I could be naked for all I care and have my offensive arsenal ready.

Bonus points for other flavorful things, like the Lizardfolks' bite, the Dragonborn's breath/dragon fear shout. Barbarian's rage/increased structural damage with the bear totem. Also would prefer Dragonborn to Lizardfolk, as I feel like Lizardfolk are more restrictive from an RP setting. I'm pretty new to D&D (still have never played a game!), so I was hoping to flesh this idea out before hand. Thanks!

Neither lizardfolk or dragonborn is particularly better or worse for this

go all out charisma as best you can
Hexblade1: you get to use charisma to hit with. add thirsting blade & you can add it to damage as well. eventually you will probably want to get this to at least level 2 or 3
Dragonblood Sorcerer: this gives you +1 ac and extra hp compared to the other sorc options, an elemental resistance, & more with time. eventually you want to get this to 3 so you can gain the enlarge spell & by extension use it with either warlock or sorcerer spell slots
If you want, you can add a few levels of paladin for smites
Alternately just go moon druid, wildshape into a bear & say you look like a large lizard until you can wildshape into huge & gargantuan things & say the same

nickl_2000
2018-05-22, 07:19 AM
Neither lizardfolk or dragonborn is particularly better or worse for this

Alternately just go moon druid, wildshape into a bear & say you look like a large lizard until you can wildshape into huge & gargantuan things & say the same

Just say you are Minilla at the lower levels. I could see someone having fun with all the major Kaiju while playing a Moon Druid.

Boverk
2018-05-22, 07:21 AM
if UA is allowed, Mystic as many others have said, that let's you be huge on occasion.

In the long term, Wizard 18(War wizard?) Lizardman would get you enlarge person at will, and you can use all your higher level spells to flavor breath weapons

you could dip one into barbarian to get better armor, or one into fighter and be mecha-godzilla

Vogie
2018-05-22, 08:30 AM
I'd forgo the Enlarge spell and just do a Dragonborn Primeval Guardian Ranger 3 / Long Death Monk X. The "Guardian Form" in your case will be just an enlarged Kaiju form rather than a tree. Everything else will stay the same.

Because you're a dragonborn, you'll start with a breath weapon. Your "unarmed attacks" are your claws & tail strikes, and the added piercing damage from PGR can be explained by the "enlarged" claws & tail. You become large and slow, with a extended reach and a lot of THP. At monk level 6, you'll get your Terrifying scream. You'll eventually also be really hard to kill by reaching monk 11.

You won't ever need weapons (Your claw and tail unarmed strikes will scale up as you do, via the monk martial arts mechanic, from 1d4 to 1d10, multiple attacks starting at monk level 3, and counting as magic at monk 6) nor armor (Unarmored defense is 10+ Dex +Wis, then you'll get a +1 from your fighting style, which we'll touch below).

To start this from Level 1, you'd start as Dragonborn Monk 1, then go ranger 3 for Kaiju form, natural explorer & favored enemy. You can discuss with your DM which fighting style would work best. Mariner is your best bet for fighting style, as you'll want climbing and swim speed and +1 AC. Then the rest of the way is just Long Death Monk. Most of the ASIs will go towards increasing Dex, Wis, & Con as high as humanly possible. You may still want to try to pick up the Mobile Feat, even though the Kaiju/guardian form reduces your speed, so you can ignore difficult terrain and avoid AOOs

You'll also get a trio of Ranger spells. You can ignore them completely, use them to augment yourself in a supernatural way (Jump/Absorb Elements/Fog) or in a Kaiju way (Speak with Animals/Beast Bond/Animal Friendship), or traditional hunter way (Hunter's Mark/Absorb Elements/Zephyr Strike)

Boverk
2018-05-22, 08:53 AM
When we decide the best route, also make a Tortle of the same build as the Gamera

nickl_2000
2018-05-22, 08:54 AM
When we decide the best route, also make a Tortle of the same build as the Gamera

And a Warforged for Mecha-Godzilla?

Citan
2018-05-22, 10:40 AM

Hi!
Only way I see it working is
1) Being a Moon Druid with a three-level dip into a caster that knows Enlarge (I'd suggest Draconic Sorcerer simply because of metamagics, Enlarge and Enhance), with a DM that would allow that the Enlarge effect applies even on your Wild Shape (so Enlarge yourself)
Well, T-REX is CR 8, other dinosaurs just don't have either the base size or looks that suits...
(If you were okay with another form that doesn't look similar to Godzilla though, this could probably be the best option....)

So basically be a Subtle Draconic Sorcerer, converting all spell slots into 4th level slots, but I don't know how that would work in terms of optimization combat-wise, you'd probably want to multiclass into a martial for compatible features (provided DM agrees to rule it like Wild Shape)...
Or be a Bard that actually transformed himself into a T-Rex with True Polymorph? XD

samuraijaques
2018-06-26, 04:32 AM
Slight thread necro so I apologize for that. If it's been too long just go ahead and lock it.

I was wondering if the OP ever actually built this character. I really want to play a lizardfolk immortal mystic in an upcoming campaign and am kind of wrestling with the exact build. Does anyone have a good build for doing this?

wilhelmdubdub
2018-06-26, 06:04 PM
How about that giant based UA sorcerer variant subclass