PDA

View Full Version : [Base/Feats/Creatures/Traits/Flaws] Summon from thy dreams... (Magi-Nation)

Korias
2007-08-30, 08:55 PM
http://www.english.hawaii.edu/407/projects/Gaming/magititle.gif

What if you could summon? Creatures from the deep, from the skies, from the darkness, from flames or earth? What if these creatures are the foundation of your dreams, your soul? What do you do then?

-Olf, Naroom Magi

Magi. They blur the line between dream and reality, untill they can no longer tell the difference. They can summon creatures from their dreams into reality, and send them away with a thought. They come from all walks of life, intent on discovering what lay deep hidden within the dreams. Dwarf or Elf, Human or Halfling, they all can harness the power of dreams.

More often than not, a Magi will atune himself with his surroundings, in order to strengthen the power of his creature. Magis over the years have developed six styles, each pertaining to different surroundings. Magi that live in forested areas focus on the way of the Naroom, while Magi that live in hot climates chose the way of the Cald.The Six styles are Naroom (Earth/Plants), Underdark (Evil/Earth), Cald (Fire), Arderial (Air), Orothe (Water), and Universal. Universal Magi do not have a speciality, and are often travelers.

The Magi
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th| 9th

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Dream Creature +1|4|1

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+2|Regional Affinity +1 |5|1|0

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+3|
+1|Animite +1 |6|2|1|0

4th|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|Dream Creature +2|6|3|1|1|0

5th|
+2|
+2|
+4|
+4|Fast Movement, Evasion|6|4|2|1|1|0

6th|
+3|
+2|
+4|
+4|Regional Affinity +2|6|5|4|2|1|1|

7th|
+3|
+3|
+5|
+5|Animite+2 |6|6|4|2|1|1|

8th|
+4|
+3|
+5|
+5|Dream Creature+3|6|6|5|3|2|1|

9th|
+4|
+4|
+6|
+6|Improved Evasion|6|6|6|4|3|2|1|

10th|
+5|
+4|
+6|
+6|Universal Affinity|6|6|6|5|4|3|2|1|1|0

11th|
+5|
+5|
+7|
+7|Regional Affinity+3|6|6|6|6|4|3|2|1|0

12th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+7|
+7|Dream Creature +4|6|6|6|6|5|3|2|1|1|0

13th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+8|
+8|Animite+3|6|6|6|6|6|3|2|1|1|0

14th|
+7/+2|
+6|
+8|
+8|Slippery Mind|6|6|6|6|6|3|2|1|1|1

15th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+9|
+9|Dream Creature +5|6|6|6|6|6|4|3|2|1|1

16th|
+8/+3|
+7|
+9|
+9|Regional Affinity+5|6|6|6|6|6|5|4|3|2|1

17th|
+8/+3|
+8|
+10|
+10|Animite+4|6|6|6|6|6|6|4|3|2|1

18th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+10|
+10|Dream Creature+5|6|6|6|6|6|6|5|4|3|2

19th|
+9/+4|
+9|
+11|
+11|Animite+5|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|5|4|3

20th|
+10/+5|
+9|
+11|
+11|Universal Relic|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|5|4[/table]

Hit Dice:d8
Proficiencies: All Simple weapons, light armor, no shields.
Skill Points: 4+int X 4 for first level, 4+int for others.
Skills:As a Bard

Abilities

SpellCasting (Sp) Magi cast spells from the Abjuration, Conjuration, enchantment, and transumtion Schoools of the Wizard/Sorc list., and know the amount of spells equivilant to the number listed uner that spell level. They cast spells spontaneously. Also, a Magi's Caster Level is equal to 2/3rds his class level, rounded down to a minimum of one.

Dream Creature (Su? Sp?) The Magi selects one Magical Beast, Outsider, or Elemental with an intelligence below 10 and a CR equal to the Magi's Character Level. Once selected, the Magi may summon this creature as a standard action, as many times per day. If the creature falls below 0 HP, it is transported back to its home of origin so that it may regenerate, and may not be called upon until 36 Hours have passed (A day and a half). As the Magi gains more levels, he gains additional creatures (Each number in the bonus represents one creature). He may summon more than one creature at a time, but no more than four creatures. For every even number in the Bonus that the Magi has, he may add +2 to the intelligence limit. A Magi with Dream Creature +2, for example, could get creatures that have an intelligence of 11 and 12, but not 13. A Summoned creature last for 3d6 rounds after an encounter, and cannot be summoned again for 1d8 minutes. If summoned outside an encounter, the summon persists for A number of rounds equal to the Class level of the Magi + Xd2, where X is the Class level.

A Dream Creature can communicate telepathicaly with its Magi.

Regional Affinity (Su) Magi become attuned to different surroundings as time passes, and often, their dreams (And thereby, creatures) reflect the surroundings. For every number in the bonus, the Magi may select one subtype. Whenever he is dealing with a creature with this subtype, he adds a +X Synergy bonus to the creature's base attack bonus and AC.

Also, For every Affinity, the Magi gains a bonus to himself. Depending on the subtype chosen, the Magi gains a bonus.
Fire Subtype: The Magi gains +2 Synergy to Fortitude saves and +4 Synergy versus extreme Heat. He also gains Fire Resistance 2.
Aquatic Subtype: The Magi gains a swimspeed of 20ft. He also gains a +5 synergy bonus to swim checks.
Good Subtype: The Magi gains the ability to Smite Evil, as a paladin, 3/day.
Evil Subtpye: The Magi gains the ability to Smite Good, as a blackguard, 3/day
Earth Subtpye: The magi gains DR equal to 1/2 his class level.
Air Subtype: The Magi gains SR equal to his class level.
Law Subtype: The Magi gains +1 Synergy to damage rolls
Chaos Subtype: The Magi gains +1 Synergy to Armor Class.

Animite (Ex) Magi slowly obtain Animite. This rare crystallization is formed when a DreamCreature spawns. By collecting it and giving it to a Dream Creature, it is absorbed into the beast. This absorbtion offers many unique bonuses. For every number in the bonus, you get a "Point" to spend on a creature. Different abilities cost different amounts of points.
Every Level up, you may alter the spending of your points, but not during adventure. These bonuses do not stack (IE: You cant take 5 Natural Armor Bonuses.)

Fast Movement: 1 Point
Scent: 1 Point
Speak Language: 1 Point
+1 Nat Armor: 1 Point
+2 to any Save: 1 point
Fast Healing 1: 2 Points
+1 HD: 2 Points
+2 to an Ability Score: 3 Points
Regeneration: 3 Points
+5 BAB: 3 Points

Fast Movement (Ex) The Magi may add +10ft to his movement speed while wearing light or no armor.
Evasion (Ex) A Magi takes no damage from a "Reflex Half" save if he made the save. If he fails, he takes half damage.

Universal Affinity (Su) Magi have universal affinities. A sort of collective power that spreads to everything. By tapping into this power, a Magi may restore some of his Dream Creatures. He may heal himself or his dream creatures up to the Magi's Charisma Bonus times his Level in HP. This does not need to be in one sitting, and the healing can be spread out in multiple quantities.

Improved Evasion (Ex) Like a Rogue.

Slippery Mind (Su) A Magi gets a +X Synergy bonus to any atempts to control his mind (As through a charm person or dominate monster spell.), Where X is he Magi's class level.

Universal Relic (Ex) A Magi gains the power to imbune a single item with a portion of the Universal Energy. He selects one of his Dream Creatures, and may advance that creature, as per the Advancement Rules. The Creature automatically moves up to the next set of HD, and gains all bonuses that come along with it.

======================================

Feats
The Magi class has special feats that only it can take. They are listed below.

Lucid Dreams
Pre-Req: Requires the class ability "Dream Creature"
Benefit: You may add +1 to the number of Dream Creatures you can summon.
Normal: You may only have as many dream creatures as your level allows.
Special: If you have the Flaw "Dreamless" you cannot
Hyren Caster
Pre-Req: You must have a Dream Creature Class ability, and have a +2 Bonus in that ability.
Benefit: You may select a Hyren as a Dream Creature
Normal: You may not select a Hyren as a Dream Creature
Special: If you have the Flaw "Dreamless", you cannot take this feat.

Furok Summoner
Pre-Req: You must have a Dream Creature class ability, and have a +2 Bonus in that ability.
Benefit: You may select a Furok as a dream Creature
Normal: You may not select a Furok as a dream Creature
Special: If you have the Flaw "Dreamless", you cannot take this feat.

World Traveler
Pre-Req: You must have "Regional Affinity" as a class ability.
Benefit: You add +1 to the number of affinites you may gain.
Normal: You may only have as many affinities as your class dictates.
Special: If you have the Flaw "Situated" you cannot take this feat.
==================================

Traits and Flaws
Yes, we all have them. So do Magi.

[Flaw] Dreamless
Whether from heritage, mental scars, or simply brain function, your dreams are just too realistic. This makes it harder for you to delve into your dreams to pluck the creatures of legend that reside within.
Pre-Req: Must have "Dream Creature" as a class ability.
Effect: You take a -1 penalty to the number of creatures you may have. Your creatures may not drop below a mimum of one.

[Flaw] Situated
You prefer to be stuck to the spot where you stand, keeping to defend the world that you know, and not just everything. While this is all well and good, your dreams can become repetitive and sometimes, they can never change.
Pre-Req: Must have "Regional Affinity" As a class ability.
Effect: You take a -1 Penalty to the number of Regional Affinities you may have. This number may drop below one.

[Trait] Hopeless Dreamer
Some people just cant help but dream of a bigger and brighter future. Your dreams are incredible, and some are so intense that you could swear that they are real.
Effect; You begin play with +1 more animite points than normal.
Drawback: You lose the bonus CR for Dreamcreatures that you get at level one. The power reverts to One HD for you=One CR That you can have per creature.

==============================

Hyren
http://http://www.maj.com/gallery/Korias/OOTSStuff/timber_hyren.jpg
Large Magical Beast
HD 10d8 (40 HP)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares); Fly 50Ft at Good Manuverability
Init:+4
AC X; touch X; flat-footed X
(AC DETAILS)
BAB +X; Grp +X
Attack Standard attack +X
(damage, critical range/critical multiplier + additional damage)
Full-Attack Full attack +X/+X/+X (damage, critical range/critical multiplier +additional damage)
Space X ft.; Reach X ft.
Special Attacks
Special Qualities
Saves Fort +X Ref +X Will +X
Abilities Str X, Dex X, Con X, Int X, Wis X, Cha X
Skills
Feats
Environment
Organization Name (Number appearing)
Challenge Rating X
Treasure X gold; X gems; X art; X magical items
Alignment
Advancement by TYPE; Favored Class
Level Adjustment +X

(Yes, Not finished, but no time. Consider this... the work in progress.)

EvilElitest
2007-08-30, 10:09 PM
Umm, what is this from? And what is the name of the class. And what is the fluff, and what is it really?
from,
EE

Korias
2007-08-31, 06:07 AM
Umm, what is this from? And what is the name of the class. And what is the fluff, and what is it really?
from,
EE

As I said, the class isnt finished yet. Once I finish the table, it should be over fairly quickly.

Fluff will be forthcoming after base mechanics are placed down.

Vadin
2007-08-31, 02:21 PM
OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODMAGI-NATION!

Sorry. I'll totally look at this class in a second, but I had to post this immediately after I saw that picture.

Hooray for a card game that succesfully moved past card based (as in lands or energies) resource management and died before its time but is coming back later this year!

Korias
2007-08-31, 02:57 PM
Valdin, I'm sorta basing this off the videogame than the cardgame. I just like that picture.

Anyway, the class, feats, and traits are done. Special Monsters (Hyren, Furok) will be done shortly.

Vadin
2007-08-31, 03:18 PM
To start, as you can tell in my previous post, I really like this. But now the PEACHing and PEARing and APPLE and BANANAing must begin.

Spellcasting (Sp) Magi cast spells from the Abjuration, Conjuration, Enchantment, and Transmutation schools on the Wizard/Sorc list, and know the amount of spells equivalent to the number listed under that spell level. They cast spells spontaneously.

This is good, as it limits them to (mostly) non-direct damage spells (evocation) and non-pretend damage spells (illusion).

Dream Creature (Su) The Magi selects one Magical Beast, Outsider, or Elemental with an intelligence below 10. Once selected, the Magi may summon this creature as a standard action, as many times per day (as what?). If the creature falls below 0 HP, it is transported back to its home of origin so that it may regenerate, and may not be called upon until 36 Hours have passed (A day and a half). As the Magi gains more levels, he gains additional creatures (Each number in the bonus represents one creature). He may summon more than one creature. For every even number in the Bonus that the Magi has, he may add +2 to the intelligence limit. A Magi with Dream Creature +2, for example, could get creatures that have an intelligence of 11 and 12, but not 13.

A Dream Creature can communicate telepathicaly with its Magi.

I understand the intelligence limit, but what about the CR of the creature? What about its HD? Intelligence alone doesn't determine a creature's power. In fact, that often has nothing to do with its power at all! I see the intent, but the power needs an additional restriction. Perhaps the creature's CR can be no more than 1/2 the Magi's level? Or no more than 1/2 the Magi's level + the Dream Creature bonus?

Regional Affinity (Su) Magi become attuned to different surroundings as time passes, and often, their dreams (and therefore their creatures) reflect the surroundings. For every number in the bonus, the Magi may select one subtype. Whenever he is dealing with a creature with this subtype, he adds a +X Synergy bonus to the creature's base attack bonus and AC.

Also, For every Affinity, the Magi gains a bonus to himself. Depending on the subtype chosen, the Magi gains an additional bonus:

Fire Subtype: The Magi gains +2 to Fortitude saves and +4 versus extreme Heat. He also gains Fire Resistance 2.
Aquatic Subtype: The Magi gains a swimspeed of 20ft. He also gains a +5 synergy bonus to swim checks.
Good Subtype: The Magi gains the ability to Smite Evil, as a paladin, 3/day.
Evil Subtpye: The Magi gains the ability to Smite Good, as a blackguard, 3/day
Earth Subtpye: The magi gains DR equal to 1/2 his class level.
Air Subtype: The Magi gains SR equal to 2x his class level.

These abilites are more than a little bit strong. Aquatic is alright, fire is acceptable, good and evil are perfectly fine, but earth and air...well, they're more than a bit too powerful. 1/2 level in DR? That's incredibly high! Wouldn't some other ability like stonecunning, a fortitude save bonus, or a 5 ft. burrow speed be a little more balanced than DR 5/- at level 10? While we're at it, let's look at air. Air grants SR. Not sure why, but I'll roll with it for now. Now let's look at just how much SR he gets. 2x his class level? We're lookin' at a guy with SR 20 and DR 5/- at level 10! Level TEN! That's a heck of a lot better than most other classes can hope to get. Maybe if the Air subtype ability was replaced with constant feather fall and a bonus to balance checks?

Animite (Ex) Magi slowly obtain Animite. This rare crystallization is formed when a DreamCreature spawns. By collecting it and giving it to a Dream Creature, it is absorbed into the beast. This absorbtion offers many unique bonuses. For every number in the bonus, you get a "Point" to spend on a creature. Different abilities cost different amounts of points.
Every time you level up, you may alter the spending of your points, but not during adventure (Why not?). These bonuses do not stack (IE: You cant take 5 Natural Armor Bonuses).

Fast Movement: 1 Point
Scent: 1 Point
Speak Language: 1 Point
+1 Nat Armor: 1 Point
+2 to any Save: 1 point
Fast Healing 1: 2 Points
+1 HD: 2 Points
+6 Initiative: 2 Points
+2 to an Ability Score: 3 Points
Regeneration: 3 Points
+5 BAB: 3 Points

Seems alright, but the initiative bonus is odd. Don't summoned creatures tend to go on their master's turn?

Fast Movement (Ex) The Magi may add +10ft to his movement speed while wearing light or no armor.

Ok.

Evasion (Ex) A Magi takes no damage from a "Reflex Half" save if he made the save. If he fails, he takes half damage.

It fits the fast paced summoner type of character.

Universal Affinity (Su) Magi have universal affinities. A sort of collective power that spreads to everything. By tapping into this power, a Magi may restore some of his Dream Creatures. He may heal himself or his dream creatures up to the Magi's Charisma Bonus times his Level in HP. This does not need to be in one sitting, and the healing can be spread out in multiple quantities.

Certainly an appropriate ability.

Improved Evasion (Ex) Like a Rogue.

Again, no qualms here.

Slippery Mind (Su) A Magi gets a +X Synergy bonus to any atempts to resist any form of magical mind control, where X is the Magi's class level.

Potentially a tad too powerful, but that's really only if the DM is running a game with a lot of that going on. Come to think of it, a lot of races are immune to this sort of thing anyways, being outsiders and all. At least for now, this looks ok.

Universal Relic (Ex) A Magi gains the power to imbune a single item with a portion of the Universal Energy. He selects one of his Dream Creatures, and may advance that creature as per the advancement rules. The Dream Creature automatically moves up to the next set of HD, and gains all bonuses that come along with it.

Not all creatures advance, mind you. It might be better to instead allow creatures to advance a set number of HD, and if that takes them up to the next size, then so be it.

As you might have guessed by now, edits and comments are bold.

On the whole, I like it, but full spellcasting and this durationless summoning ability adds up to just a bit too powerful. You might want to consider knocking the spellcasting down to the bard's and have levels 0-6 instead of 0-9.

Korias
2007-08-31, 03:33 PM
To start, as you can tell in my previous post, I really like this. But now the PEACHing and PEARing and APPLE and BANANAing must begin.

As you might have guessed by now, edits and comments are bold.

On the whole, I like it, but full spellcasting and this durationless summoning ability adds up to just a bit too powerful. You might want to consider knocking the spellcasting down to the bard's and have levels 0-6 instead of 0-9.

They cast spells like a Sorc: Spontaneously. Plus, I dont want to go and re-edit those spells known lists. Besides. I like the Sorc list better for these guys.

Thanks for correcting the Grammar and spelling.

Now, for the problembs.

Dream Creatures: I added an HD Limit.

Regional Affinity: SR And DR need to advance with a character to be effective. At level 20, a Magi can have 40 SR. This is... Powerful. But their a casting class. I'll tone it down to equal their class level (but no less than 9). DR is fine the way it is. I recall alot of Magi wear certain kinds armor in the game, but many of them were soldiers of Cald.

Animite Init bonus: As far as I know, yes. I was thinking of something else, I guess. Stupid people screwing around with the computer. when I'm trying to use it.
Animite Changing: Because animite takes time to remove and install in a creature. You cant do that in the middle of the dungeon (Unless you level up in the dungeon)

Universal Relic: Well... Huh. I guess that could work. I was thinking of when you gain a relic (Such as that cool crown) it boosts your Dream Creature. Well, I'm trying to induce that. Such as increase the HD by 1/2 class level of the controlling Magi?

Fast Movement, evasion, Improved evasion, slippery mind: These abilities are abilities of other classes.

Vadin
2007-08-31, 04:38 PM
On the Dream Creature mechanic, you might want to (for comparison in power purposes) check out this (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=905736).

It's a summoner not unlike this one that's on the whole fairly balanced if not a tad underpowered.

Korias
2007-08-31, 04:49 PM
Eww. Gleemax. *Shudders*

I was actually pulling off the Druid's animal companion for HD to power level. At level one, a Druid can take a 2 HD wolf. But at level 2, his HD limit remains the same (2), untill he hits level 3.

Vadin
2007-08-31, 05:19 PM
Yeah, but look at levels past that. In later levels it becomes inconsistent. While quite a few of the animals hover around the same HD, there are any number of outliers on the chart.

The idea on gleemax (malignor's idea, to be specific) was to have the companion based on CR, with the maximum CR being 1/2 class levels + a periodic bonus. If its based on HD, then you can end up with situations in which one Magi has an Astral Deva (CR 14) summoned and another Magi has a Bebilith (CR 10) summoned.

In short, CR is a measure of a creature's power in comparison to the standard 4 person party, while HD is merely a measure of how much health the creature has.

(also, you should totally add Magi-Nation to the title :smallbiggrin: )

Korias
2007-08-31, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the suggestion.

Also... Magi Nation is in the title now.

Vadin
2007-08-31, 05:52 PM
I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but this guy's spellcasting is really bogus. Check how it is now and compare it to the spellcasting progression of a sorcerer. Also, I'd lower the spells per day to match a wizard, otherwise we end up with a sorcerer with a bunch of awesome abilities whose only downside is a smaller spell list.

Korias
2007-08-31, 06:11 PM
I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but this guy's spellcasting is really bogus. Check how it is now and compare it to the spellcasting progression of a sorcerer. Also, I'd lower the spells per day to match a wizard, otherwise we end up with a sorcerer with a bunch of awesome abilities whose only downside is a smaller spell list.

..."Bogus"? As in, overpowered? Underpowered? A bit more clarification.

Also, help to build the Hyren and Furok (Any varieties) would be nice.

Vadin
2007-08-31, 09:58 PM
Well, at level 1 he casts level 1 spells, level 2 spells at level 2, level 3 at level 3, and so on till fifth. Then nothing happens until level 9 when he gets level 6 spells. After that, at level 10 he gains spellcasting all the way up to level 8. And then, level 10, BAM! level 9 spellcasting. I'm going to assume that that was unintentional and suggest it be reformatted to fit the wizard's spell progression. Maybe not his spells per day (I still maintain that such a summoning ability is too powerful when combined with so many potential spells and full casting, but thats cool), but at the very least his spell progression (levels where he gains spells and such)

Korias
2007-09-01, 07:12 PM
Thining it over, Your right. I'll edit the spell casting.

Korias
2007-09-02, 07:28 PM
A Bump, but I would like some feedback on the Feats and Traits. Are they balanced?