PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Spell for Dealing with Oozes

Ranged Ranger
2018-03-25, 01:12 AM
Inspired by two threads: this race http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22886449&postcount=11 and this conversation:

How the heck do you end up with "a touch of [construct, ooze, plant, or undead] blood"? That is, how did one of your ancestors mate with an ooze?

Well, you see, when a mummy paladin and a daddy black pudding love each other very much...

Or, the same wizard that made owlbears decided to look into magicking humans.

Or, the gods got drunk (again).

Not sure what school it would be… Abjuration or Transmutation I think…

Digestive Halt
Transmutation
Level: Bard 0, Wiz/Sorc 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: Standard Action
Range: Close or Personal
Target: You (if feed like ooze Ooze) or Ooze pointed at
Duration: 2 hours/level if target is willing, 3 rounds/level if not
Saving Throw: Fort negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

You temporarily halt the Ooze’s production of Acid.

The targeted Ooze, or Ooze-like creature, no longer deals acid damage to things that it touches. Additionally, if the target has partial slime/ooze traits, they no are no longer poisoned by simply touching ingested poisons.

rferries
2018-03-25, 01:41 AM
Ha, I'm glad it doesn't do what I thought it'd do when you quoted me :D

It's a VERY niche spell, so I'd make it 1st-level or even 0th-level. Resist energy is almost always a more useful spell and it's only 2nd level.

Ranged Ranger
2018-03-25, 08:57 PM

It's a VERY niche spell, so I'd make it 1st-level or even 0th-level. Resist energy is almost always a more useful spell and it's only 2nd level.
I'm sure there are already spells to do that... I think I've seen references to multiple 3rd party spat books dedicated to sex/character race reproduction... Haven't a clue why you'd want to include that at the table. but I'm sure a spell exists to provide compatible "bits"...

Anywho, I've lowered the spell lvl and fixed a typo...
Any thoughts on what scholl this would be?
Also is it too weird that I change duration depending on whether the target is willing or not?

rferries
2018-03-25, 10:03 PM
I'm sure there are already spells to do that... I think I've seen references to multiple 3rd party spat books dedicated to sex/character race reproduction... Haven't a clue why you'd want to include that at the table. but I'm sure a spell exists to provide compatible "bits"...

Anywho, I've lowered the spell lvl and fixed a typo...
Any thoughts on what scholl this would be?
Also is it too weird that I change duration depending on whether the target is willing or not?

Probably transmutation, but you could argue it as abjuration or even necromancy too.

I'd have just one duration, same as if you cast neutralise poison on a poisonous creature.

jqavins
2018-03-30, 01:50 PM
Ditto. And it gave me another idea for a niche spell to deal with oozes: a variant of Desiccate (or maybe just a house rule) that damages oozes and similar creatures the same way Desiccate damages water elementals (1d8 per caster level).

rferries
2018-03-30, 01:54 PM
Ditto. And it gave me another idea for a niche spell to deal with oozes: a variant of Desiccate (or maybe just a house rule) that damages oozes and similar creatures the same way Desiccate damages water elementals (1d8 per caster level).

I feel like horrid wilting etc. should treat oozes as water elementals anyways.