PDA

View Full Version : (Gardening)How long can lemongrass survive in water?

Togath
2018-03-25, 02:16 AM
So after reading about it online and finding that my local grocery store had stalks of lemongrass for 25 cents each, I found myself trying to make lemongrass starts.
As it happens, I succeeded, they are now pitting in a vase of water and are about 2.5 times the size they were when I bought them... buuut now I'm wondering when/if I should move them to soil. Are they a plant that can survive indefinitely like this? Or do they need dirt to grow well?

Maelstrom
2018-03-26, 09:02 AM
You're going to need to get them nutrients soon if you want them to prosper. Right now, they're living off reserves, but soon they're going to run out of those and their health will start suffering.

Lemongrass can be grown in a soil-less medium, but you're likely to spend more putting that together than going out and buying fresh lemongrass every once and a while (but, yes, growing it yourself is much more rewarding!). Planting them in dirt will be a better, more economic solution until you come up with a permanent one.

Fri
2018-03-27, 09:44 PM
Also, without nutrients even if they survive they'll lose all their taste and color and aroma anyway. As a kid, just for fun I put some bean on water and nothing else, and they sprout, and keep growing for weeks, but unlike normal bean sprouts I usually saw they're just pale/almost transparent and have no taste.

Togath
2018-03-28, 06:31 AM
Good to know... I should probably get them soil soon then.