PDA

View Full Version : Bonuse languages

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-03-25, 05:20 AM
I have a class that comes with Common as a basic langue but there bonus languages are none. So does this mean even with a +4 from int. i get nothing But common? Or do i still get additional langues? I'm I missing something from somewhere?

The race is warforged

Edit: Class is artificer. So he gets nothing pretty much. I do plan in dipping Cloistered cleric so its good to know im going to get another languge that way without losing to much skill points.

For speak langues if I'm reading it correctly. Its a non class skill. 2 points = 1 langue. as the whole cross class effect stick. And its locked behind the limit of cross class ranks right?

RoboEmperor
2018-03-25, 05:51 AM
That is correct. Only common. It doesn't say "Any" like humans, it says none.

ShurikVch
2018-03-25, 07:32 AM
I have a class that comes with Common as a basic langue but there bonus languages are none. So does this mean even with a +4 from int. i get nothing But common? Or do i still get additional langues? I'm I missing something from somewhere?

The race is warforgedWhich class?
Because some classes are get additional bonus languages - such as Celestial/Infernal/Abyssal for Cleric, Sylvan for Druid, or Draconic for Dragon Shaman

But otherwise - yep, nothing.

Doctor Awkward
2018-03-25, 12:49 PM

The race is warforged

Warforged do not get bonus languages for having a high Intelligence.

You have to purchase them with skill points.

Zaq
2018-03-25, 12:56 PM
Everything that has been said so far is correct by RAW.

It is, however, often reasonable to ask your GM to houserule that away. I don't view the "your race determines your legal starting bonus languages" rule to be anywhere near as harmful as, say, the multiclassing XP penalty rules, but I view relaxing the rule to be a similar sort of "this rule doesn't do much to make the game better, so slapping an arbitrary restriction on some characters rather than on others isn't really necessary" easement that generally doesn't break anything.

My opinion is that if you're not going full-bore simulationist, a player interested in getting languages on a character should generally be rewarded rather than punished, since doing so makes it more likely that language might matter as part of the game (being always careful to strike that tricky balance between "languages make the game world feel alive" and "language barriers straight up prevent you from interacting with this group of NPCs who might otherwise be interesting").

Remuko
2018-03-25, 06:35 PM
As Zaq said above thats RAW but sometimes RAW is dumb. I've never played that way. Any character of any class/race can select any language as a bonus language from high INT except secret languages (like druidic) is how my group always play.

Mith
2018-03-25, 06:49 PM
From a RAW standpoint, if your INT goes up due to inherent boosts (such as the +1 at 4th, 8th, 12, 16th, and 20th), does that allow you to gain bonus languages afterwards, or do you only get the extra skill points?

Kelb_Panthera
2018-03-25, 07:30 PM
From a RAW standpoint, if your INT goes up due to inherent boosts (such as the +1 at 4th, 8th, 12, 16th, and 20th), does that allow you to gain bonus languages afterwards, or do you only get the extra skill points?

Improvements to intelligence have no retroactive effects. You get neither extra skill points nor extra bonus languages if your intelligence improves after character creation.

Blue Jay
2018-03-25, 09:08 PM
As Zaq said above thats RAW but sometimes RAW is dumb. I've never played that way. Any character of any class/race can select any language as a bonus language from high INT except secret languages (like druidic) is how my group always play.

Yeah, I like ignoring this rule too. The standard bonus language selections don't always make sense for every game world or every character, and sometimes a character's background can fully justify her being able to speak Beholder or whatever. On the other hand, it can get obnoxious if every player flaunts the expectations of the game world, so I can understand why a DM would want some control over what bonus languages a player can know. Personally, I like to pick Ignan for most of my players, just because fire elementals are awesome.

Improvements to intelligence have no retroactive effects. You get neither extra skill points nor extra bonus languages if your intelligence improves after character creation.

This is a rule I also like to ignore. Most people's character sheets make it impossible to keep track of when you chose your skill points and when you got your stat boosts, so the bookkeeping's easier if you just use your current stats to calculate hit points and skill points and stuff.

DrMotives
2018-03-25, 09:28 PM
I kinda half-n-half on retroactive int. Whatever happens at character creation, even if that's at level whatever (with improvements to int) I go with. But if someone improves there int during the game, going back and adding skillpoints prior seems silly, and that makes bookkeeping harder, not easier.

Blue Jay
2018-03-25, 10:25 PM
I kinda half-n-half on retroactive int. Whatever happens at character creation, even if that's at level whatever (with improvements to int) I go with. But if someone improves there int during the game, going back and adding skillpoints prior seems silly, and that makes bookkeeping harder, not easier.

Harder for whom? From the player's perspective, he just has to go back and add 1 skill point at each level. True, that might be more work, but who's going to complain about getting more skill points?

From the DM's perspective, there's always a chance that he's going to have to go back and audit somebody's character sheet or help them work through a mistake or something, and that's a lot easier to do if he just has one Int score to work with at all levels.

Also, I use a custom spreadsheet and the interactive sheets at Myth-Weavers. Keeping track of level-by-level changes in Int score and class skill list is almost impossible with those. So, I also advocate "once a class skill, always a class skill." And I advocate letting that work retroactively at startup: so, if you start at 5th level, anything that's on any of your class skill lists by 5th level counts as having been on your class skill list at all 5 levels; that way, you can just assign skill points in one step, and you don't have to worry about assigning them level-by-level. And I, as the DM, don't have to work through each sheet level-by-level, either: I can just add up the total skill points spent and make sure you're not trying to sneak something onto your list that doesn't belong, and my job is done.

Nifft
2018-03-25, 10:34 PM
This is a rule I also like to ignore. Most people's character sheets make it impossible to keep track of when you chose your skill points and when you got your stat boosts, so the bookkeeping's easier if you just use your current stats to calculate hit points and skill points and stuff.

Yeah if you retroactively get bonus HP for improving your Con, then IMHO you ought to get retroactive skill points for improving your Int.

The way I usually do this is that retroactive increases happen during downtime training, specifically during a PC rebuild amnesty milestone.

Those are placed at specific levels, and known in advance, so the players can try stuff out and decide about their choices later as they gain experience.