PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Need help with (non-gish) frontline builds.

gimley307
2018-03-25, 05:32 AM
I'm going to play my first 3.5e game next week, and a majority of the other players wanted to play spellcasters. I've been lurking around these forums, reading the Iron Chef competitions, handbooks, builds, etc. so I thought I could come up with a frontliner build to match up with them power-wise.

The problem is, I want my character to do multiple things at once, and I don't think I have enough feats, even with the human race and flaws allowed. I have two build stubs to present: one is a shadowpouncing ninja and the other is a ritiik-wielder.

I don't want my builds to be more cheesy than they already are (but if you have ideas please post them).

This is assuming a 30-point buy. I don't know how to set up the ability points yet so I haven't tried.

The build stubs only go up to level 10 because I want the builds to come online as soon as possible.

This is the shadowpouncer. What I like about the ability is that it's basically optional damage if I want to go nova, but if the rest of the group can't keep up with triple pouncing dps then I can tone it down. The problem is I'm trying to shove Iaijutsu Focus in the build as well (because ninjas and katanas), which makes me super MAD (I have a reason to put points in every ability).

Shadowpouncer
Dark Human (+1 LA)
1: Fighter 1 | Able Learner, Hidden Talent (Dimension Hop), Mounted Combat, Stealthy, TWF
2: Human Paragon 1 |
3: Swordsage 1 | Shadow Blade
4: Human Paragon 2 | Quick Draw
5: Swordsage 2 |
6: Crinti Shadow Marauder 1 | Wild Cohort (eventually choosing magebred ghost tiger if possible, sticking to big cats)
7: Crinti Shadow Marauder 2 |
8: Crinti Shadow Marauder 3 | Ride-By Attack
9: Crinti Shadow Marauder 4 | Improved TWF
10: Crinti Shadow Marauder 5|

I need improvements/streamlining on this build or other general pointers to make this build less MAD or just better. I'd be using shortswords and daggers in a fight. The fantasy is to hop around the field as much as possible, hiding and using skill tricks to deny dex and render flat-foot to proc iaijutsu focus and maybe other precision damages to finish off enemies. My mount is there too, probably tripping and grappling other targets or potential divers on my backline or allowing me to hide behind or to provide me with flanking should I grab sneak attack damage (like assassin's stance) as well.

The next build is the Ritiik fighter. When I saw the the ritiik and the harpoon side-by-side I fell in love with their abilities. The problem is that I would rather have the harpoon's ability on a melee weapon so I could enhance it with masterslaying and fleshgrinding, and while the Kuo-Toan Harpoon offers that, it comes at a steep nerf to the exit wound damage (1d10 rather than the initial damage). So I'm going to try and get a homebrew where either harpoons can be counted as a melee weapon like the ritiik/kuo-toan harpoon or just attach some chains to a ritiik to solve my problem there.

I want this build to function as a charging, dungeoncrashing, battlefield controlling fighter. I don't want a build that functions on AoOs since I have a character that works like that in 5e already, so Karmic Strike/Robilar's Gambit are off the table. Once again, I don't know how to spread ability scores.

Here's the build:

Ritiik
Mineral Warrior Human (+1 LA)
1: Fighter 1 (Zhentarim/Dungeoncrasher ACFs) | EWP(Ritiik), Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Quick Draw, Point
Blank Shot
2: Fighter 2 |
3: Fighter 3 | Brutal Throw
4: Warblade 1 |
5: Bloodstorm Blade 1 | Throw Anything
6: Fighter 4 | Leap Attack, Shock Trooper
7: Bloodstorm Blade 2 |
8: Bloodstorm Blade 3 | Hurling Charge
9: Fighter 5 |
10: Fighter 6 | (Haven't decided yet)

This build is a lot less complete, and I'm sure I'm missing some obvious things. The fantasy for this build is to chain down multiple enemies, inflict other statuses on them somehow so they can't unchain, tripping people, all while going to town with huge charge damage (and then doubling it with either returning enhancement or bloodstorm blade's ability). I specifically don't want to use Pounce with this build.

Even the simplest "no duh" comments are appreciated since, like I said, these are my first builds and this would be my first character, and I definitely could have missed something obviously fundamental to you guys. Thanks.

Darrin
2018-03-25, 08:35 AM
Shadowpouncer
Dark Human (+1 LA)
1: Fighter 1 | Able Learner, Hidden Talent (Dimension Hop), Mounted Combat, Stealthy, TWF
2: Human Paragon 1 |
3: Swordsage 1 | Shadow Blade
4: Human Paragon 2 | Quick Draw
5: Swordsage 2 |
6: Crinti Shadow Marauder 1 | Wild Cohort (eventually choosing magebred ghost tiger if possible, sticking to big cats)
7: Crinti Shadow Marauder 2 |
8: Crinti Shadow Marauder 3 | Ride-By Attack
9: Crinti Shadow Marauder 4 | Improved TWF
10: Crinti Shadow Marauder 5|

If Flexible Mind (Dragon #326) or Skill Knowledge (Unearthed Arcana p. 81), consider trading the Fighter 1/Human Paragon 2 for Feat Rogue 2/Fighter 1 (with the Hit-and-Run ACF from Drow of the Underdark). This gets you more skill points and evasion. Doesn't help with MAD, though...

Do you need Wild Cohort? I think most CSMs just ignore their mounts and shadow-pounce without them. Put some ranks in Handle Animal and you can just *buy* a magebred warbeast mount. If you want a tougher mount, buy one with more HD.

Ritiik
Mineral Warrior Human (+1 LA)
1: Fighter 1 (Zhentarim/Dungeoncrasher ACFs) | EWP(Ritiik), Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Quick Draw, Point
Blank Shot
2: Fighter 2 |
3: Fighter 3 | Brutal Throw
4: Warblade 1 |
5: Bloodstorm Blade 1 | Throw Anything
6: Fighter 4 | Leap Attack, Shock Trooper
7: Bloodstorm Blade 2 |
8: Bloodstorm Blade 3 | Hurling Charge
9: Fighter 5 |
10: Fighter 6 | (Haven't decided yet)

I'd consider swapping two levels of Fighter with Decisive Strike/Overwhelming Attack Monk 2. If you're not going to pounce, might as well get a x2 damage multiplier in there. Overwhelming Attack gets you PA/IBR, although it puts off Shock Trooper until 9th (and the second Dungeon Crasher until 12th). I'm also wondering if it would be worth it to try and fit Frostblood Orc/Headlong Rush in there, but Ranger 3 (using Strong-Arm or Throwing combat style from Dragon #326) would put off the Dungeon Crasher stuff too much.

Also, if you're using a ritiik... no Improved Trip or Knock-Down? Barb 2 might be worth it just to get Improved Trip, and if you don't want Pounce then you can trade it for Roofwalker (Cityscape Web Enhancement), Blind-Fight (Dragon Totem), Improved Grab (Spirit Bear Totem), or +2 bonus on flanking (Spirit Wolf Totem).

gimley307
2018-03-25, 03:45 PM
If Flexible Mind (Dragon #326) or Skill Knowledge (Unearthed Arcana p. 81), consider trading the Fighter 1/Human Paragon 2 for Feat Rogue 2/Fighter 1 (with the Hit-and-Run ACF from Drow of the Underdark). This gets you more skill points and evasion. Doesn't help with MAD, though...

Wow I can't believe I skimmed over this. Human Paragon 1 also let me grab up to 10 good skills as 'class skills' with able learner though, do I not need all 10?

Do you need Wild Cohort? I think most CSMs just ignore their mounts and shadow-pounce without them. Put some ranks in Handle Animal and you can just *buy* a magebred warbeast mount. If you want a tougher mount, buy one with more HD.

I wasn't aware I could do this

I'd consider swapping two levels of Fighter with Decisive Strike/Overwhelming Attack Monk 2. If you're not going to pounce, might as well get a x2 damage multiplier in there. Overwhelming Attack gets you PA/IBR, although it puts off Shock Trooper until 9th (and the second Dungeon Crasher until 12th). I'm also wondering if it would be worth it to try and fit Frostblood Orc/Headlong Rush in there, but Ranger 3 (using Strong-Arm or Throwing combat style from Dragon #326) would put off the Dungeon Crasher stuff too much.

Decisive strike requires a full round action for an attack with a monk weapon, I don't see how this benefits me.

Also, if you're using a ritiik... no Improved Trip or Knock-Down? Barb 2 might be worth it just to get Improved Trip, and if you don't want Pounce then you can trade it for Roofwalker (Cityscape Web Enhancement), Blind-Fight (Dragon Totem), Improved Grab (Spirit Bear Totem), or +2 bonus on flanking (Spirit Wolf Totem).

Improved Trip would be the next thing I try to fit in this build.