PDA

View Full Version : Help me clean this up plz.

Throne12
2018-03-25, 09:06 AM
I love lighting magic. So this is a spell I'll like to have in my game. so can y'all help me clean what I have up.

Spell 2nd lv
Lighting stride
Transmutation
1 action
Range self
You turn you form into a bean made of cracking lighting. Using any movement you have left you can pass throught any space a creature Occupies dealing them 3d8 lighting damage. they take half on a Successful con save. If you end your movement in a space a creature is in you take 3d10 force damage.

DeTess
2018-03-25, 09:17 AM
Spell 2nd lv
Lighting stride
Transmutation
1 action
Range self
You turn you form into a bean made of cracking lighting. Using any movement you have left you can pass throught any space a creature Occupies dealing them 3d8 lighting damage. they take half on a Successful con save. If you end your movement in a space a creature is in you take 3d10 force damage.

Well, for starters you'll need a line explaining what happens if you end your movement in another creatures square in addition to taking damage (are you teleported to the nearest safe square?). I'd personally just forbid it, as there's less text that way. You might also want an upcasting possibility (1d8 per level). I'd also specify that a creature can only be dealt damage once this way per casting of the spell.

Lastly, there's the spell's damage. I think it is a bit too high for a second level spell. If it was singletarget, it'd be fine (or even a bit too weak), but this spell could hit 4 or more targets in quite few situations. I'd consider making it 3d6 instead, but I'm hardly an expert on numerical balancing of spells.

Razuchee
2018-03-25, 09:19 AM
So you turn back at the end of your movement?

Seems fair to me, although I would make it a dex save to dodge the damage. Maybe 2d8/person like similar 'AOE' spells

The real question is why do I turn into a vegetable?

BBQ Pork
2018-03-25, 09:19 AM
I love lighting magic. So this is a spell I'll like to have in my game. so can y'all help me clean what I have up.

Spell 2nd lv
Lightning stride
Transmutation
1 action
Range self
You turn your form into a beam made of cracking lightning. Using any movement you have left, you can pass through any space a creature occupies, dealing them 3d8 lightning damage. They take half on a successful Con save. If you end your movement in a space a creature is in, you take 3d10 force damage and are deposited in a randomly chosen adjacent open space.
Changed lighting to lightning. Changed some capitalization, added a couple commas, added to final line.

mephnick
2018-03-25, 09:29 AM
I'd possible restrict it to a straight line instead of walking wherever you want. A lightning bolt misty step basically.

Lombra
2018-03-25, 10:00 AM
As BBQ pork said, what you are referring to is lightNing, the electric jolt from the sky, not lighting, which refers to illumination.

And I believe your intent was to transform in a beaM of lightning, not a beaN, which is a vegetable.

The spell looks fine to me and very entertaining, kind of like thunder step and steel wind strike. Maaaybe a little on the powerful side but I think it's fine.

I like it a lot.

Just to throw other stuff around for possible inspiration:
-while moving in/on water, across metal surfaces or any other conductive material, your speed is doubled.
-you can't willingly end your turn inside another creature's space
-if you finish your movement inside another creature's space, you take the 3d10 damage and are pushed back in your last position before entering the last creature's space.

Overly complicated but again, food for thought.

Would you make it scale at higher levels? If so, would you make it add more damage or more feets of movement? Or both? Another thing that should be specified is that a creature can't be affected by this spell more than once per turn.

Specter
2018-03-25, 10:43 AM
Compared to Misty Step, it seems OP.

Spore
2018-03-25, 10:44 AM
If it was singletarget, it'd be fine (or even a bit too weak), but this spell could hit 4 or more targets in quite few situations..

I don't think so. If you do a conga line versus a caster that has shown to use lightning magic, you have yourself to blame (as DM, or IC as just another useless minion). Secondly, the movement is not optional so you possibly end up on a worse spot than you started.

DeTess
2018-03-25, 10:46 AM

It's not a teleport though. It just allows you to damage foes you move through with your normal movement allotment. Which reminds me that it might need a clause about attacks of opportunity, to clarify whether you'd still get hit by those.

Lombra
2018-03-25, 01:17 PM

Compare it to thunderwave, same damage at the same level and to a comparable number of foes, minus a pushback rider which gets compensated by being able to move away, I think it's ok. Misty step allows you to clear huge gaps or weird terrain, this doesn't.

Blood of Gaea
2018-03-25, 06:08 PM
Here you go:

Lightning Stride
2nd-level transmutation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self
Components: V,S,M (a short coil of copper wire)
Duration: Instantaneous

You transmute your own body into the form of lightning for an instant. As part of this spell, you move in a straight line up to a distance of 30 feet. Any creature or object that you pass through must succeed a Dexterity saving throw and take 3d8 lightning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. If you end your turn in an object or a space occupied by another creature, you take 3d10 force damage and move to the nearest open space (your choice).

Misty Step is a bonus action, this takes a full action.