PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Dnd 5e Druid Circle ideas balancing, cr movement restrictions, wildshape

mastersterruser
2018-03-25, 10:13 AM
Okay i hope i got nothing wrong with this thread in general. Please be patient with me its my first thread on giant in the playground.

I have an idea for a Druid circle homebrew but i first need some questions to be answered. The Druid circle would have similiarities to the Moon circle because it is focused on the wildshapes.

Questions:

1. The moon druid has a higher cr cap for his wildshapes but the movement restrictions are untouched. (e.q. no swimming speed) Is it just to not give him even more possibilities or would that break the concept of the druid in someways that i cant imagine at the moment?

2. The moon druid at level 10 can transform into elementals that are basicly halve of his level in cr at that moment but costs two uses of wildshape. ( cr 5 monsters at level 10). What do you think about an ability that would increase the cr cap to halv the druids level instad of 1/3 for moon druids at level 6 but would cost two wildhshape uses?

3. I think about giving the druid more uses of wildshape by giving him the ability to turn spellslots into wildshape uses. What do you think about this in general and do you think 4 spellslots for one wildshape would be a good change?

4. My last idea that is basicly an alternative for the second and third point is to work with exhaution. So one point exhaution, that takes effect after you turn back to normal form, could eather increase the cr to halv your druid level or negate the movement restrictions or give you an extra use of wildshape. In addition it could maybe give you the ability to turn into monstrosities. To balance this massive buff your maximum transformation time could be decreased when using this.

5. Last just to make sure: a feat for druids only that would give you the extra ability discribed in 4 would be to strong right?

hymer
2018-03-25, 12:37 PM
Welcome!

1. The moon druid has a higher cr cap for his wildshapes but the movement restrictions are untouched. (e.q. no swimming speed) Is it just to not give him even more possibilities or would that break the concept of the druid in someways that i cant imagine at the moment?
I don't think it breaks a whole lot, but it depends. If there is an aarakocra available, they can fly from level 1. A wizard can fly from level 5, albeit at a steep price. So it may depend on the campaign. But wild shape isn't just a tool for gaining movement modes. It also lets you change size, and can make you effectively invisible by imitating something innocuous. Both at the same time, and at a pretty low cost in resources.
A certain caution is definitely called for in messing with this design.

2. The moon druid at level 10 can transform into elementals that are basicly halve of his level in cr at that moment but costs two uses of wildshape. ( cr 5 monsters at level 10). What do you think about an ability that would increase the cr cap to halv the druids level instad of 1/3 for moon druids at level 6 but would cost two wildhshape uses?
There aren't enough animals of those CRs. T-rex at CR 8 i the highest I've seen. And you'd balloon the problem of the infinite damage sponge at level 20, and the unreasonable advantage moon druids have over the other circles once they can all cast in wild shape at 18.

3. I think about giving the druid more uses of wildshape by giving him the ability to turn spellslots into wildshape uses. What do you think about this in general and do you think 4 spellslots for one wildshape would be a good change?
Hard to balance. The power and duration of wild shape uses scale with level, whereas spell slots don't. So the cost in spell slots should probably be tied to the CR (and perhaps duration) of the wild shape assumed.

4. My last idea that is basicly an alternative for the second and third point is to work with exhaution. So one point exhaution, that takes effect after you turn back to normal form, could eather increase the cr to halv your druid level or negate the movement restrictions or give you an extra use of wildshape. In addition it could maybe give you the ability to turn into monstrosities. To balance this massive buff your maximum transformation time could be decreased when using this.
Druids aren't terribly affected by exhaustion, though their wild shape fighting could be. I don't know about this one.
As for turning into monstrosities, this is a pretty problematic ability. Not having anything in particular in mind, but I'm sure there is some monstrosity ability that really should not fall into PC hands, or that there will be one eventually, as more monsters get published. Like with the CR 5 elementals, I'd suggest making a list of four specific monstrosities, so you know exactly what you're dealing with.

5. Last just to make sure: a feat for druids only that would give you the extra ability discribed in 4 would be to strong right?
Right. Though you might get away with it if you put it together with enough skill and care on the restrictions.