PDA

View Full Version : Silly cursed item. Does this work?

kenposan
2018-03-25, 10:42 AM
So a player randomly slipped a ring on his finger and I had him instantly fall asleep for ****s and giggles. Now I need to actually stat this thing because the party has it (whose laughing now, right?). Here is what I came up with:

Ring of Sleep
Wondrous item, uncommon, cursed
This ring appears as a flat, iron ring with runes etched into its surface. If a creature has 20hp or fewer, placing the
ring on a finger causes the wearer to fall asleep. The creature remains asleep until the ring is removed.
If a creature has 21+HP, the creature gets a Con saving throw (DC10) to stay awake.

Does that work? It's not meant to be hugely powerful, just kind of a gag item. But now that they have it, I need mechanics for it.

thanks!

Unoriginal
2018-03-25, 10:57 AM
So a player randomly slipped a ring on his finger and I had him instantly fall asleep for ****s and giggles. Now I need to actually stat this thing because the party has it (whose laughing now, right?). Here is what I came up with:

Ring of Sleep
Wondrous item, uncommon, cursed
This ring appears as a flat, iron ring with runes etched into its surface. If a creature has 20hp or fewer, placing the
ring on a finger causes the wearer to fall asleep. The creature remains asleep until the ring is removed.
If a creature has 21+HP, the creature gets a Con saving throw (DC10) to stay awake.

Does that work? It's not meant to be hugely powerful, just kind of a gag item. But now that they have it, I need mechanics for it.

thanks!

Well, honestly it's the kind of things that can become very useful.

Like, trick people into putting it on to KO them, or using it to keep prisoners without them making troubles.

Wilb
2018-03-25, 10:59 AM
It works, as long as you make the ring slip out or stop working after a long rest or a whole day, to avoid killing the wearer. Make it go through immunity if the wearer wills it and make it a creation of elven wizards who wanted to know what it means to sleep and dream as regular mortals.

Angelalex242
2018-03-25, 01:35 PM
Amp it up:

This item puts you to sleep forever, unless you are kissed by your true love, (or somebody cast remove curse.)
You do not require food, air, or water while wearing this ring, and also do not age.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-03-25, 04:05 PM
Thats pretty cool actually.

sir_argo
2018-03-25, 05:46 PM
I think you should not be able to remove it without a Remove Curse. The person wakes up after 8 hours and gains the benefit of a Long Rest. After that, whenever the character attempts a Charisma ability check, the character must first succeed in a CON saving throw. Failure means the character falls asleep as per the Sleep spell.

i.e. Ring of Narcolepsy

nickl_2000
2018-03-25, 05:49 PM
I actually would love this item for my character. It would be one of those item that has great creative uses.

I do like the true lives kiss waking you up as well.

kenposan
2018-03-25, 06:29 PM
Well, honestly it's the kind of things that can become very useful.

... or using it to keep prisoners without them making troubles.

Which is where we are today and why I need to figure out mechanics. LOL

Honest Tiefling
2018-03-25, 07:55 PM
Like, trick people into putting it on to KO them, or using it to keep prisoners without them making troubles.

Suddenly, ransoming people becomes very viable. I mean, nobility usually has a few useless relatives lying around somewhere. Children don't often have much HP and are portable!