PDA

View Full Version : Better DPR?

Dos246
2018-03-25, 12:35 PM
I am a Vengeance Pally 5/Fiend lock 1 and my question is without using smites is my damage better to just use multi attack and attack twice or to use green flame blade for the extra fire dmg? My strength is 16 and my Cha is 16, wielding a long sword in one hand, dueling fighting style

let me know if I have this right:
Extra attack 1d8 + 5 dmg x2, 20 average
Green flame blade 1d8 + 5 dmg, + 1d8 fire dmg 15 average plus another 1d8 + 3 dmg on secondary target or 8 average

So if it's a single target extra attack is better but against multiples I should use GFB, have I got that figured right?

LtPowers
2018-03-25, 12:43 PM
So if it's a single target extra attack is better but against multiples I should use GFB, have I got that figured right?

Well to an extent it depends on the targets' AC. If their AC is high, Extra Attack is more appealing because it gives you more chances to hit; if you miss once with GFB, you don't get a second chance. On the other hand, if their AC is low, it's more likely that your one GFB attack will land than it is both of your regular attacks will, so GFB is better.

Certainly GFB is inferior if there's no second target available.

Powers &8^]

bid
2018-03-25, 06:38 PM
Roughly yes.

The bigger caveat is a crit is the best time to use your smite. Extra attack gives you 2 chances at it.
Same thing against almost dead, when a normal hit is enough to kill.