PDA

View Full Version : Favorite low level combos.

Tvtyrant
2018-03-25, 04:08 PM
What is everyone's favorite low level combos? I particularly like sculpt spell with blockade as a second level spell.

It only lasts three turns but it can be used to make a wall (120ft line), tower (cylinder), or a massive barrier (cone), as well as making some smaller defenses (10ft cubes). As a swift action it lets you really mess with the action economy.

Seharvepernfan
2018-03-25, 04:21 PM
halfling rogue x/monk 1
twf, pbs/rapid shot, flurry, shurikens, reduce person

ben-zayb
2018-03-25, 04:42 PM
Warlock + Blend into Shadows feat + Whisper Gnome + Dark Template

Comes online at level 1, or 2 if you include the Dark template.

Vizzerdrix
2018-03-25, 05:11 PM
Mark of xoriat chain + trollblooded.

Troacctid
2018-03-25, 05:37 PM
Azurin Incarnate with Expanded Soulmeld Capacity. At level 1, you can have DR 6/magic with Astral Vambraces. Good luck to the kobolds and goblins trying to get through that.

gorfnab
2018-03-25, 05:41 PM
Whisper Gnome (RoS) + Rogue + Magic in the Blood (PGtF) or Extra Silence (RoS) + Silencing Strike + Warlock (CA) with Eldritch Glaive invocation (DM) {or no Warlock levels and a Poison Ring (DrgCom) instead} = Silence low level spellcasters 3/day as a touch attack

kulosle
2018-03-25, 06:15 PM
Warlock + Blend into Shadows feat + Whisper Gnome + Dark Template

Comes online at level 1, or 2 if you include the Dark template.

Could you explain this one. What does it get you. What does being a whisper gnome bring to it.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2018-03-25, 06:23 PM
Combat Reflexes with a Glaive can really do some work in the lowest levels, especially if you have a decent Str.

Creeping Cold (Druid 2) plus (Lesser Metamagic Rod of) Extend Spell deals 21d6 cold damage over six rounds, regardless of caster level.

retaliation08
2018-03-25, 06:39 PM
Could you explain this one. What does it get you. What does being a whisper gnome bring to it.

Whisper Gnome gives you a Silence SLA. Idk what else it would add besides just being a Whisper Gnome.

heavyfuel
2018-03-25, 09:23 PM
Requires two people, but Blockade followed by a Bull Rush from a Dungeoncrasher.

Always gets the DM by surprise, especially if you decide to "Ready" the Action

ben-zayb
2018-03-26, 02:02 AM

Warlock can get you at will Darkness SLA. Blend into Shadows allow you to effectively Hide in Plain Sight within magical darkness by expending a Darkness SLA as a swift action. Whisper Gnome gives a total of +9 to Hide check (+4 racial, +4 size, +1 from DEX bonus). Dark Template also gives an unnamed +8 bonus to Hide.

Using Eldritch Blast, you are hitting vs Touch + Flatfooted AC. With a +5 modifier from 20 DEX (18 + 2 from Whisper Gnome), and a +2 bonus due to being counted as Invisible as per the Hidden condition, you oftentimes only need a roll of 3 to hit, which puts you at 90% hit rate.

Uncle Pine
2018-03-26, 02:13 AM
Otherworldly warforged + Adamantine/Mithral Body (pick one) + divine minion (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a) = ECL 2 Egyptian Transformer.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-03-26, 02:17 AM
Linked Power + psionic minor creation. 2 cubic feet of any plant matter for 2 hours using 2 pp is potentially incredibly potent at level 2. The combination of tools, armors, weapons, food, and poison is all extremely handy to have at level 2 (the earliest this works, unless you use Metapower at level 1). Note that the "X cubic feet" aren't necessarily in an X foot cube. A 1/4 inch layer of matter covers a lot more surface area than a mere 12" x 12" x 12 cube, after all.

A wizard with Scribe Scroll, Invisible Spell, and Forceful Magic (DrMag #308) can craft level 1 scrolls of pretty much any level 2 spell. Add in Precocious Apprentice and a couple of bonus feats (say, two flaws or a flaw and human/strongheart halfling) and you can do this at level 1. Add in Sanctum Spell and you can whittle that down to 0 level scrolls. Also note that ray of stupidity can take down an elephant in one shot, allowing you to catapult yourself to high levels very quickly. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21545874&postcount=4)

Allanimal
2018-03-26, 02:56 AM
I particularly like sculpt spell with blockade as a second level spell.

It only lasts three turns but it can be used to make a wall (120ft line), tower (cylinder), or a massive barrier (cone), as well as making some smaller defenses (10ft cubes). As a swift action it lets you really mess with the action economy.

Wait. I’m AFB at the moment, but I thought blockade just made a 5’ cube of wood. And I believe Sculpt spell works only on Area-effect spells. Blockade isn’t area-effect.

Uncle Pine
2018-03-26, 03:47 AM
Blockade is in fact not eligible for the Sculpt Spell feat:

Benefit
You can modify an area spell by changing the area's shape to either a cylinder (10-foot radius, 30 feet high), a 40-foot cone, four 10-foot cubes, a ball (20-foot-radius spread), or a 120-foot line. The sculpted spell works normally in all respects except for its shape. For example, a lightning bolt whose area is changed to a ball deals the same amount of damage, but affects a 20-foot-radius spread.

A sculpted spell uses a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level.

Evocation [Electricity]
Level: Sorcerer 3, Wizard 3, Warmage 3, Adept 3, Sha'ir 3, Gnome Artificer 3, Shugenja 4 (Fire),
Components: V, S, M,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 120 ft.
Area: 120-ft. line
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Druid 1, Ranger 1, Sorcerer 1, Wizard 1,
Components: V, S, M,
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Range: 0 ft.
Effect: 5-ft. cube of wood
Duration: 3 rounds
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: None

Vizzerdrix
2018-03-26, 04:12 AM
Otherworldly warforged + Adamantine/Mithral Body (pick one) + divine minion (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a) = ECL 2 Egyptian Transformer.

Thank you for this. It corrects a build I'm working on for a friend.

Crake
2018-03-26, 05:18 AM
Warlock can get you at will Darkness SLA. Blend into Shadows allow you to effectively Hide in Plain Sight within magical darkness by expending a Darkness SLA as a swift action. Whisper Gnome gives a total of +9 to Hide check (+4 racial, +4 size, +1 from DEX bonus). Dark Template also gives an unnamed +8 bonus to Hide.

Using Eldritch Blast, you are hitting vs Touch + Flatfooted AC. With a +5 modifier from 20 DEX (18 + 2 from Whisper Gnome), and a +2 bonus due to being counted as Invisible as per the Hidden condition, you oftentimes only need a roll of 3 to hit, which puts you at 90% hit rate.

Bolded part is incorrect. Warlock gives you an SLA that produces a darkness effect, but the SLA is not actually darkness, thus it cannot be used to either qualify for blend into shadows, nor fuel it. Welp, Looks like I was wrong on this one. I thought for some reason that you were limited to one magical darkness at a time, and that it was named something other than "darkness", but it's literally just at will darkness.

ben-zayb
2018-03-26, 06:06 AM
Bolded part is incorrect. Warlock gives you an SLA that produces a darkness effect, but the SLA is not actually darkness, thus it cannot be used to either qualify for blend into shadows, nor fuel it. Welp, Looks like I was wrong on this one. I thought for some reason that you were limited to one magical darkness at a time, and that it was named something other than "darkness", but it's literally just at will darkness.I know it is silly, considering plenty of Warlock invocation has some "edgy" refluff, but yeah... I guess Darkness is edgy enough

Dragonfire Adepts also get it.

TalonOfAnathrax
2018-03-26, 07:25 AM
Human Sorcerer/Wizard 1 with Precocious Apprentice (Combust) and Fiery Burst. That gives you some fantastic 2d6 at-will fire AoE damage that will keep being useful throughout levels 1-5, and from then on be a useful backup weapon. And you can retrain Precocious Apprentice at level 3 if you're going for a feat-intensive build later.

Long_shanks
2018-03-26, 08:52 AM
I showcased this (almost) exact combo (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22810459&postcount=67), minus the template, in a recent E6 appetizer Iron chef.

Whisper gnome gives all the things we need: massive bonuses to stealth skills and darkvision, which you need if you don't go dark template to see in your darkness (DotU has so many tasty darkness related feats).

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-03-26, 09:27 AM
Blockade is in fact not eligible for the Sculpt Spell feat:Grease is, however. Imagine a 40' cone of solid grease, engulfing everything.

Aside from spell slot level, a locate city bomb requires 5 different feats and so is doable by 3rd level, if you're a human or strongheart halfling with flaws. (5th level, since the full spell level adjustment is +3.) Justifiable arguments indicate that locate city is a horrible spell to use it with. Detect magic and detect evil, however... And it's not too terribly long before you can afford to buy a casting of permanency, either.

Nifft
2018-03-26, 09:36 AM
Dragonfire Adepts also get it.

On the subject of Dragonfire Adepts, they're quite nice at level 1 in combo with the feat Entangling Exhalation (RotDr).

I suspect this combo is well-known, but it's surprisingly fun to feel overpowered at 1st level.

Not sure if that counts since it's just one class, but it's very low-level.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-03-26, 09:40 AM
Tiny von Big McLargeHuge. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?132294-Tiny-Von-BigMcLargeHuge) Entirely doable at level 2 (if you use Human Blood or Human Heritage, anyway).

Tvtyrant
2018-03-26, 10:41 AM
Blockade is in fact not eligible for the Sculpt Spell feat:

Nooooooooooooo! (http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/)

alternatively

Noooooooo (https://youtu.be/2QKg5SZ_35I?t=96)!

Cosi
2018-03-26, 11:17 AM
launch bolt + Eschew Materials is pretty cool. You can choose "Gargantuan Crossbow Bolt" as the material component and (since it costs less than 1 GP) Eschew Materials allows you to cast the spell without actually needing it. That lets you turn your cantrips into 4d8 ranged attacks.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-03-26, 11:21 AM
No light (BoVD) is what darkness should have been: absolute lack of light in the area. You can see through it via darkvision or true seeing and the like, but it's still incredibly useful, so long as you can see out of it. It's even better with a ring of the darkhidden (MIC), which effectively gives you greater invisibility for the cost of a relatively cheap ring and a cantrip.