PDA

View Full Version : What would u do with a shield guardian?

Joe dirt
2018-03-25, 04:18 PM
Just defeated a group of wizards with 2 of these shield guardians. Now we have them, so how would u use one?

they are large size so not all dungeons we can use them on but they are incredibly tough tanks. Is there a way to permanently shrink them?

Sigreid
2018-03-25, 04:37 PM
They'd have no problem crawling for a long time, if you needed them to.

But to answer your question, I'd keep them out of the main battle line and use them how they're intended, which to me is to relieve the martials of the burden of babysitting the squishy magic users. So I wouldn't use them in the front line, I'd use them as the second string to get those who charge through before they can wack the wizard.

LunLun
2018-03-25, 05:18 PM
The big thing that stands out for their abilities is the regeneration and spell storing. With the spell storing any 4th level or lower spell can be held. have them hold castings of a buff spell with a trigger about combat starting or set them with a healing spell. If you set them with a healing spell they should be able to help any downed team mate and keep within the 60ft for the bound ability.

Knowing more about the characters would definitely help. Lots of funny synergy options from what I could figure.

EvilAnagram
2018-03-25, 05:57 PM
My gnome wizard got ahold of one in Out of the Abyss. My DM let me tinker around with him, hollowing out a Bender torso cavity I could ride around in.

So, that. I would do that.

Kane0
2018-03-25, 06:00 PM
I remember one being loaded up with counterspells once, that was mighty annoying.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-03-25, 06:18 PM
Give the amulet to your tank, Have the guardian sit back by the spell-casters/archers but never more than 60' away from the holder. Their primary command is to attack any hostiles that get within 20' of the spell casters. This is even better if your tank is a barbarian. Hello 1/4 damage especially if it's a bearbarian.

I don't read anything about the spell being lost when you switch amulet bearers either so it could be used to cast say Life transference, Mass healing word, revivfy, Silence, dimension door, for more of an oh **** situation. Or you can use it to cast multiple buffs. Enlarge, invisibility, enhance ability, Bless, etc.

Warding bond: Hey look at that, now you prevent half damage to four member's of the party. I'm like 99% sure this doesn't stack with a barbarian's damage resistance so use it on someone else. (you will need a platinum ring made that will fit on the shield guardian)

Quoz
2018-03-26, 12:56 AM
Had a cleric that used one as a mount for a while in 4e. Good fun while it lasted, but eventually the GM got tired of it and had it take a disintegrate for me.

Joe dirt
2018-03-26, 02:53 PM
all good ideas, we have 2 shield guardians so i was thinking of making it to where they both store 4th level fireballs, and the fireballs go off whenever and wherever i would cast a fireball (as the party wizard)... this in theory would mean 3 fireballs that go off doing or 27d6... doing average damage of 81 points on 3 failed saves

see any problems with this plan or how to optimize it?

DarkKnightJin
2018-03-26, 03:14 PM
My gnome wizard got ahold of one in Out of the Abyss. My DM let me tinker around with him, hollowing out a Bender torso cavity I could ride around in.

So, that. I would do that.

...I love that idea. I may need to make something like that happen if I ever get around to playing a Small race.

zinycor
2018-03-26, 05:16 PM
Remake them into bitching mounts! Maybe a tank!

stoutstien
2018-03-27, 01:40 PM
Start a battle bot circuit.

G mayes
2018-03-27, 01:53 PM
all good ideas, we have 2 shield guardians so i was thinking of making it to where they both store 4th level fireballs, and the fireballs go off whenever and wherever i would cast a fireball (as the party wizard)... this in theory would mean 3 fireballs that go off doing or 27d6... doing average damage of 81 points on 3 failed saves

see any problems with this plan or how to optimize it?

If you can, I would store different spells in each, such as a force, sonic, or necrotic so on the off chance the target is resistant to one of them, it's still taking damage from one of you, or things with rider effects that can be used to make each successive attack more effective.

Sigreid
2018-03-27, 01:56 PM
If you can, I would store different spells in each, such as a force, sonic, or necrotic so on the off chance the target is resistant to one of them, it's still taking damage from one of you, or things with rider effects that can be used to make each successive attack more effective.

How about wall of force and cloud kill since they could trap themselves in with their bubble with the enemy and the poison?