PDA

View Full Version : Disengage, how much disengaging can I do at once?

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-03-25, 07:40 PM
Lets say I'm in melee with 4 opponents. Can I use disengage to avoid opportunity attacks with just one of them or with all of them?

Blood of Gaea
2018-03-25, 07:43 PM
This is answered clearly in the description. The amount of creatures is irrelevant.

If you take the Disengage action, your Movement doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks for the rest of the turn.

Coffee_Dragon
2018-03-25, 07:44 PM
"lf you take the Disengage action, your movement doesn't provoke opportunity attacks for the rest of the turn." This is an absolute statement, so you do all the disengaging at once. All of it.

Kane0
2018-03-25, 07:45 PM
So not like PF where it protects you from exiting like one square :smalltongue:

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-03-25, 07:51 PM
Thank you all for the FAST reply.

On a more contrived end, can I move 15 feet down a narrow hallway, enter melee range with an opponent, disengage and move the other 15 feet I have left?

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-03-25, 07:53 PM
"lf you take the Disengage action, your movement doesn't provoke opportunity attacks for the rest of the turn." This is an absolute statement, so you do all the disengaging at once. All of it.

So I can disengage and run past a whole string of enemies, even new ones.

Kane0
2018-03-25, 07:54 PM
So I can disengage and run past a whole string of enemies, even new ones.

Aye.

For the record, you only provoke from leaving the threatened reach of an enemy, not a space. So you don't even need to disengage to dance circles around a foe.

Coffee_Dragon
2018-03-25, 07:55 PM
Thank you all for the FAST reply.

On a more contrived end, can I move 15 feet down a narrow hallway, enter melee range with an opponent, disengage and move the other 15 feet I have left?

Sure.

But if you know you're going to use your action to Disengage you might as well do it at the beginning of the turn, since somehow it also protects against invisible surprise enemies that might be between you and the opponent. (I wonder if there should have been some "from enemies that you can see" stipulation.)