PDA

View Full Version : Phantasmal Force + Dissonant Whispers combo?

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-03-25, 08:06 PM
Lets say on round 1 I cast Phantasmal Force. Bad guy fails the save and believes he is in a water helmet/straight jacket drowning and chained to the wall.

Round 2 I maintain concentration on Phantasmal Force and cast Dissonant Whipers. Somehow the bad guy fails that also so now he needs to flee at speed as a reaction.

What does he do? Does he imagine he breaks the chain and goes running out of the Phantasmal Force AOE? Can I even cast all that? Think the bad guy has the presence of mind to disengage from the melee he is in? He can't take disengage as part of his reaction I believe, right?

Belier
2018-03-25, 08:51 PM
The target is convinced he is chained to a wall, he does even feel the chain and restriction stopping him to move. Breaking the chain would be a dc20 normaly and require an action to do so, not a reaction. Inspectong the illusion is also an action. I'd say he takes paychic damage and that's the end of it.

A gentle dm could allow a break the chain, one less gentle could rule lose the reaction. I stand in middle ground.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-03-26, 09:09 AM
The target is convinced he is chained to a wall, he does even feel the chain and restriction stopping him to move. Breaking the chain would be a dc20 normally and require an action to do so, not a reaction. Inspecting the illusion is also an action. I'd say he takes psychic damage and that's the end of it.

A gentle dm could allow a break the chain, one less gentle could rule lose the reaction. I stand in middle ground.

My spelling stinks more than usual when I type on the phone.

Your decision would be a very fair one. Now that we're fighting more Rogues and humanoids w/o advantage to saves against magic I'm using these spells more. Its interesting how they interact.

Snivlem
2018-03-26, 10:31 AM
What does he do? Does he imagine he breaks the chain and goes running out of the Phantasmal Force AOE?

Yes. Unless your DM makes PF more powerfull than it is, that is what would happen.

Raw even your first trick is edgy/wont work because the chains/straight jacket wont restrain and the target will just rationalise them breaking as soon as he makes an effort (the helmet may work because it is not supposed to restrain) .

Matrix_Walker
2018-03-26, 11:03 AM
Restraints would be rationalized as just breaking as they would offer no resistance when they tried to strain against them.

Phantasmal Force's effect can be centered on the target and move with them, so if you kept the helmet and dropped the chains, they would continue to suffer the psychic damage regardless of their movement.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-03-26, 04:02 PM
Restraints would be rationalized as just breaking as they would offer no resistance when they tried to strain against them.

Phantasmal Force's effect can be centered on the target and move with them, so if you kept the helmet and dropped the chains, they would continue to suffer the psychic damage regardless of their movement.

I'll make sure to center the effect on the target!. I see an imaginary future of straight jackets filled with poisonous turtles or something lol!.

It does follow the target if I focus it on them? That is definitely the way to do it.

Matrix_Walker
2018-03-26, 04:38 PM
Crawford says yes.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/09/14/phantasmal-force-on-a-bag/