PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Coming Back From the Dead, Time For a New Wizard Tradition

tmjr6
2018-03-25, 08:31 PM
Hello everyone,

Last night we had our first session and after a really dramatic boss fight, my High Elven Bladesinger was killed. My DM wanted to let my character come back, partially since the monster was originally intended for a party of 4 and our fighter wasn't able to make it; admittedly a wizard, spore druid, and blades bard probably weren't the best match against a CR 7 monster, despite the fact we were level 5. My character will be revived, but at the cost of a now reduced Strength and Constitution Score. Outside of the mechanical reasons, I'd like some ideas for what new wizard tradition to take. I'll be switching my background to Haunted One to reflect the harrowing experience of being brought back from alternate means. In addition, I've already asked my DM and he's letting me change my wizard tradition. What new tradition should I take after going through this? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

EdenIndustries
2018-03-25, 08:37 PM
Necromancy could be thematic.

Temperjoke
2018-03-25, 09:03 PM
Without knowing more about the method being used to bring you back, or the campaign's general theme and tone, it's hard to say what wizard tradition would be fitting. Based on what's given Necromancy is really the only fitting one. Divination could fit too, death could have lifted the veil of the future from your character.

tmjr6
2018-03-25, 09:12 PM
For more context, we're in a world that has been ripped asunder by arcane means called "The Breaking" causing potentially reality warping phenomena depending on where in the world it is. It's basically the Mournland meets an MC Escher Painting. We are using the Dawn War Pantheon for the campaign simply because it was the one most of us were familiar with. My character was a worshiper of Corellon who was exploring the world for ancient artifacts of Corellon in hopes of fixing the world. In addition, the party as a whole is part of a larger organization that is attempting to provide relief to various villages. We went to rescue a village that had been taken over by one of the King's royal guards who went rogue. My character ended up challenging the guard to a one on one duel. It was then that my character fell to the knight's blade.

Temperjoke
2018-03-25, 09:29 PM
Hmm, some ideas:

Necromancy - died and came back has strengthened your understanding of the barrier between life and death

Divination - your death and return has caused your mind to expand, with visions of the future forcing themselves upon you (could be useful to the DM if he needs to guide your group in a certain way)

Illusion - death has altered your view of reality, causing it all to seem as fragile as an illusion, and illusion as solid reality

Transmutation - your death and rebirth has given you a realization about how malleable matter is, and at the most fundamental level everything can be anything

bc56
2018-03-25, 09:47 PM
Abjuration: You died once, and you don't want to ever do that again. (Paranoia?)

Crgaston
2018-03-25, 09:51 PM
Hmm, some ideas:

Necromancy - died and came back has strengthened your understanding of the barrier between life and death

Divination - your death and return has caused your mind to expand, with visions of the future forcing themselves upon you (could be useful to the DM if he needs to guide your group in a certain way)

Illusion - death has altered your view of reality, causing it all to seem as fragile as an illusion, and illusion as solid reality

Transmutation - your death and rebirth has given you a realization about how malleable matter is, and at the most fundamental level everything can be anything

All these are great! I was going to say Divination, but reading these has expanded my brain. You could really come up with something appropriate for any School. Especially love the Transmutation one!

Abjuration - though you are physically weakened, the powerful magic that brought you back still lingers around your soul, giving you a tenacious grip on this life. You are able to focus it into a protective barrier in times of great need.

Personification
2018-03-25, 10:03 PM
Abjuration: You died once, and you don't want to ever do that again. (Paranoia?)

Yep, this was my first thought upon seeing the thread. also, start taking feats like alert and sentinel, and stuff, as well as ones that give you armor and shields. Plus, always have mage armor, Otiluke's, etc. prepped, and have one of them with contingency as well.

Spore
2018-03-25, 10:22 PM
Yep, this was my first thought upon seeing the thread. also, start taking feats like alert and sentinel, and stuff, as well as ones that give you armor and shields. Plus, always have mage armor, Otiluke's, etc. prepped, and have one of them with contingency as well.

I mean a Lich is usually paranoid as well.

But to add something to this thread (yes, I realize every school can be explained away) maybe Theurgy? Instead of loosing your belief, it strengthens yours. Some force that you can only identify as your gracious lord Corellon (or whichever god you want, prompting you to leave your belief of Corellon behind) decreed it is too early for you. Not only that but he granted you access to cleric spells and powers.

Now you only need the willpower and research to access all.