PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Swashbuckler lvl 3->4 Feat or Stat bump? Magic Initiate?

Seba
2018-03-25, 10:20 PM
Greetings,

I'm playing in my second campaign with my friends and I rolled a Rouge Swashbuckler (9/18/16/8/16/13) and I'm having trouble deciding on a stat bump to dex, or getting a feat such as magic initiate.

Also is there any reason why I shouldn't be running a shield if I'm using a rapier?

So for magic initiate I'm considering either Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade to boost my attack bonus.

Just theory-crafting, I could possibly poke a creature with booming blade, and use my swash ability to move away.

Nifft
2018-03-25, 10:22 PM
20 Dex is a truly nice thing to have.

Take the stat bump.

Xihirli
2018-03-25, 10:23 PM
Also is there any reason why I shouldn't be running a shield if I'm using a rapier?

Not if you're proficient; Rogues don't get proficiency.

DEX increases your to-hit, your initiative, your saving throws, and your to-not-get-hit. It's an important stat.

Seba
2018-03-25, 10:25 PM
Ahh okay I'll take the stat bump and worry about feats during my next increase! Tyyyy

bid
2018-03-25, 10:29 PM
Just theory-crafting, I could possibly poke a creature with booming blade, and use my swash ability to move away.
If you have advantage and are pretty sure to hit, yes.

If you don't have advantage...
Swashbuckler is built on the concept that you can use TWF and still run away. Always having a BA attack is godsent if you miss your main shot. It's an easy 30% increase in DPR.

It's not a foregone conclusion anymore, you have to evaluate if the gambit is worth it.

2D8HP
2018-03-25, 10:48 PM
...Also is there any reason why I shouldn't be running a shield if I'm using a rapier?......

Rogues don't start with Proficiency with Shields.

CTurbo
2018-03-25, 11:53 PM
If you were sitting at 16 and debating between going to 18 or taking the feat, I'd say take the +2 every time, BUT since you already have 18, I think I would take the feat here. Magic Initiate is GREAT on a Rogue. Booming Blade, Minor Illusion, and Find Familiar are all really really powerful for your character.

You can waltz up to an enemy, attack him with Booming Blade, and then walk away from him. If he follows you, he takes more damage. It's actually a great control spell too. Find Familiar gets you an owl that pretty much guarantees advantage on your Booming Blade attack. A familiar also helps scout. Minor Illusion also helps your sneakiness.

I say take the feat here.

Snivlem
2018-03-26, 01:53 AM
I second what CTurbo said. And if not for any of those reasons: It is also more fun.

Blood of Gaea
2018-03-26, 02:06 AM
Another fun thing to do is Magic Initiate for Guidance, Bless, and another Cleric cantrip of choice.

But yes, if you have 18 Dex, you can definitely put 20 Dex off until your next one, just make sure that it's getting you something worthwhile.

Angelalex242
2018-03-26, 03:09 AM
Another fun thing to do is Magic Initiate for Guidance, Bless, and another Cleric cantrip of choice.

But yes, if you have 18 Dex, you can definitely put 20 Dex off until your next one, just make sure that it's getting you something worthwhile.

You're a swashbuckler with a rapier, so you could take melee feats too. Sentinel works for you like everyone else. Defensive Duelist seems obvious. Or hey, you're still a rogue, so alert, dungeon delver, sulker...

That said, if you do get the 20 dex, well, it may be boring, but you won't regret it either.

Citan
2018-03-26, 03:28 AM
If you were sitting at 16 and debating between going to 18 or taking the feat, I'd say take the +2 every time, BUT since you already have 18, I think I would take the feat here. Magic Initiate is GREAT on a Rogue. Booming Blade, Minor Illusion, and Find Familiar are all really really powerful for your character.

You can waltz up to an enemy, attack him with Booming Blade, and then walk away from him. If he follows you, he takes more damage. It's actually a great control spell too. Find Familiar gets you an owl that pretty much guarantees advantage on your Booming Blade attack. A familiar also helps scout. Minor Illusion also helps your sneakiness.

I say take the feat here.

I second what CTurbo said. And if not for any of those reasons: It is also more fun.
Thirded.

You're a swashbuckler with a rapier, so you could take melee feats too. Sentinel works for you like everyone else. Defensive Duelist seems obvious. Or hey, you're still a rogue, so alert, dungeon delver, sulker...

That said, if you do get the 20 dex, well, it may be boring, but you won't regret it either.
Seconded.

+2 DEX works but is very boring and not necessarily the most optimal in the first place.
It's the best "by default" when you just need something that works, but other feats may be more suited to your particular context.
Magic Initiate is the "not always optimal but not bad either and heaps of fun" option. You could also pick Find Familiar with the weapon cantrips so your familiar can Help you sometimes (I wouldn't bet on it surviving more than a few rounds per day though), or Longstrider to get a significant boost for the big fight of the day.
Sentinel would boost your chance of "getting another attack" as a reaction, so technically this may very well be the optimal choice if you tend to play as an isolated warrior that chases creatures in duels.
Mage Slayer could be the right choice if your campaign includes them on a regular basis and you're the one guy that can "access" them the easiest.

Finally, if you really just want the weapon cantrips, I'd rather suggest you to not pick Magic Initiate, stick with Rogue until at least level 7 (so you grab Uncanny Dodge and Evasion), then dip one level into Draconic or Divine Soul Sorcerer.

Diebo
2018-03-26, 11:02 AM

I'm a fourth with CTurbo. 18 is plenty, especially with advantage from a familiar. Take a feat, they are more fun.