PDA

View Full Version : Rancor stats

hymer
2018-03-26, 07:03 AM
The rancor (of Jabba the Hut's pit fame) seems like a good fit in a D&D:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/CZy6G_vz_Ng/maxresdefault.jpg
How would you feel about taking the stats of a Giant Scorpion (https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Giant%20Scorpion#content) as a base for this? Up the size to Huge, give the claws 10' reach, and change the Sting to a Bite + Swallow - can only swallow someone caught in a pincer. The swallow should deal considerably less damage, as it's acid damage as well as restraining/blinding the target.
How does that sound to you guys? Any ideas for stats for a higher CR rancor?

nickl_2000
2018-03-26, 07:28 AM
I wouldn't go with anything that does poison or acid damage. The Rancor was a hulking beast that could eat and use it's claws to do damage.

CR5 The Hulking Crab from Storm King's Thunder would decent if you drop the camouflage and amphibious aspects.
CR6 The Mammoth stats would be good. Trample works as is change Gore to Slash and you are done.
CR8 the T-Rex would be perfect, but change the tail to a claw attack and make the slashing.

In general they should be huge sized though. So, modify the size if you pick something smaller.

Unoriginal
2018-03-26, 08:44 AM
I would take the Troll stats, dump the Int to 3, remove the Regeneration and give it an additional Bite as part of the Multiattack.

Willie the Duck
2018-03-26, 09:15 AM
Honestly, all we've seen is that it can kill a dancer off-screen, pick up and kill a Gamorrean guard and bite into it, and be killed by non-magical, non-fire damage. Other than that it is big and scary, no clear stats.

non-regenerating Troll would be good. As would Hulking Crab, Mammoth, or T-Rex. I wouldn't say swallow whole is really a vital part of what we know about the creature.

Unoriginal
2018-03-26, 09:23 AM
Honestly, all we've seen is that it can kill a dancer off-screen, pick up and kill a Gamorrean guard and bite into it, and be killed by non-magical, non-fire damage. Other than that it is big and scary, no clear stats.

non-regenerating Troll would be good. As would Hulking Crab, Mammoth, or T-Rex. I wouldn't say swallow whole is really a vital part of what we know about the creature.

Pretty sure the Rancor didn't swallow whole anyone. It bit the head of the Gamorrean, then swallowed him in several bites.

Willie the Duck
2018-03-26, 08:01 PM
Pretty sure the Rancor didn't swallow whole anyone. It bit the head of the Gamorrean, then swallowed him in several bites.

Exactly. What we have is big, can pick things up, and has a bite attack.

nickl_2000
2018-03-26, 09:06 PM
To be fair, I wouldn't call a Gammorian (sp? I have no clue how to spell this and I'm on my phone) guard medium sized. I think they would land solidly in the large size category.

Kalashak
2018-03-27, 12:27 AM
Gamorreans seem pretty solidly Medium to me, they're definitely not bigger than Goliaths

Unoriginal
2018-03-27, 04:53 AM
To be fair, I wouldn't call a Gammorian (sp? I have no clue how to spell this and I'm on my phone) guard medium sized. I think they would land solidly in the large size category.

What.

Large means twice as big as an human, or at least around 10ft.

The Gammorean guards are *clearly* human-sized, if with a well-fed brute kind of build.

GlenSmash!
2018-03-27, 12:25 PM
I wouldn't go with anything that does poison or acid damage. The Rancor was a hulking beast that could eat and use it's claws to do damage.

CR5 The Hulking Crab from Storm King's Thunder would decent if you drop the camouflage and amphibious aspects.
CR6 The Mammoth stats would be good. Trample works as is change Gore to Slash and you are done.
CR8 the T-Rex would be perfect, but change the tail to a claw attack and make the slashing.

In general they should be huge sized though. So, modify the size if you pick something smaller.

I'd start with the T-Rex too, and add a grapple option.