PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Advice for a New Fighter

TheCleverGuy
2018-03-26, 09:39 AM
First-time poster here. I'm new to D&D, playing my first game with a group online, over Roll20. I'm a level 3 Hill Dwarf Battle Master Fighter. Current stats are STR 15, DEX 10, CON 16, INT 8, WIS 13, CHA 13.

I'm looking for advice on what ASIs/Feats I should take. From what I've read, maxing STR should be my first goal, so I figure at 4th level, I'll just take the +2 to STR, and again at 6th to get me to 19. I'm trying to decide on a feat with +1 STR to get me to 20, but none of them seem all that great. I am using a maul, so Great Weapon Master is nice, but doesn't give me that +1, and without the Great Weapon Fighting style (I chose Defense, and if I could go back that's probably the one thing I'd change so far) it might not be worth it. I also have no idea how far I can expect to advance my character over the course of this campaign, so maybe I should take a Feat earlier?

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice you have. I've been reading through other character guides posted here in anticipation of starting a new character at some point and they're all really great. So thanks for that!

Unoriginal
2018-03-26, 09:44 AM
You could put +1 in STR and +1 in another stat, too.

Aett_Thorn
2018-03-26, 09:47 AM
You could put +1 in STR and +1 in another stat, too.

I recommend this. Put the other +1 in Wis to even that off.

Unoriginal
2018-03-26, 09:49 AM
Though honestly, you can really do whatever you want with your ASI.

Who is your character?

SirGraystone
2018-03-26, 09:52 AM
Or get the feat heavy armor master, it'll give you +1 STR and help with someone the taken damage.

TheCleverGuy
2018-03-26, 10:03 AM
Who is your character?

Do you mean in terms of party dynamics? I'm the main melee damage dealer of the party, and probably the closest thing we have to a tank.

Background-wise, I'm a former soldier. Someone died defending me, and I'm wracked by guilt, so I always try to make sure I'm on the front lines of any battle.

TheCleverGuy
2018-03-26, 10:07 AM
Or get the feat heavy armor master, it'll give you +1 STR and help with someone the taken damage.

I was considering that one, but by level 8, I was wondering if -3 damage was really worth it, especially since it's only certain types. I'm not really sure how in-coming damage scales up in the game. -3 at early levels sounds pretty good, but is it still decent at the higher end or is it negligible most of the time?

Unoriginal
2018-03-26, 10:08 AM
Do you mean in terms of party dynamics?

I meant in term of personality and history.

Background-wise, I'm a former soldier. Someone died defending me, and I'm wracked by guilt, so I always try to make sure I'm on the front lines of any battle.

Mmmh, personally I would have taken Cavalier rather than Battlemaster for that concept, but really there is no wrong way to go about it.

In that case; I concur with SirGraystone: Heavy Armor Master is pretty good. It's like getting 3 free temporary HPs any time you're hit

Snivlem
2018-03-26, 10:16 AM
I was considering that one, but by level 8, I was wondering if -3 damage was really worth it, especially since it's only certain types. I'm not really sure how in-coming damage scales up in the game. -3 at early levels sounds pretty good, but is it still decent at the higher end or is it negligible most of the time?

There is no reason not to take the +1str/+1wis or heavy armor master (both are solid choices btw) at level 4 as there is no difference between 16 and 17 anyway.

There is no reason to regret taking protection over GWF btw and GWM works just as well without it.

TheCleverGuy
2018-03-26, 10:24 AM
Mmmh, personally I would have taken Cavalier rather than Battlemaster for that concept, but really there is no wrong way to go about it.

All I have to go on is the 5th ed PHB, so my choices are rather limited. My own fault, being new and not knowing all the options. I also screwed up taking Defense fighting style at level 1 instead of Great Weapon Fighting. Been kicking myself for that one.

TheCleverGuy
2018-03-26, 10:28 AM
There is no reason not to take the +1str/+1wis or heavy armor master (both are solid choices btw) at level 4 as there is no difference between 16 and 17 anyway.

There is no reason to regret taking protection over GWF btw and GWM works just as well without it.

That's a great point. I was thinking getting up to max faster would be preferable, but yeah, there's really no reason to to even it out first. Thanks!

rbstr
2018-03-26, 10:34 AM
Defense was a fine choice, particularly if you're functioning as the parties tank. The Great Weapon Fighting style also doesn't have any kind of synergy with the Great Weapon Master feat I would not worry about that at all.

Anyway Heavy Armor Master looks pretty good for a level 4 feat for you. It's still a decent chunk of change in HP saved even as you get up higher in level. Creatures with multi-attack will get that damage shaved off every attack.

Laserlight
2018-03-26, 10:36 AM
That's a great point. I was thinking getting up to max faster would be preferable, but yeah, there's really no reason to to even it out first. Thanks!

The consensus at my table is that a 16 in your main stat is good enough to get you to at least L8, and that a feat is more flavorful and (depending on your feat) gives you more options than a stat increase. A +1 hit / +1 dmg is nice, and may be most efficient in terms of your damage per round, but you might find Sentinel or Mage Slayer or some such to be more fun.