PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Balance questions on Ardents/Mantles.

Odessa333
2018-03-26, 10:15 AM
I've never used a psionic class, yet in my current game there is an ardent mantle character that seems highly overpowered compared to the rest of us. We are level 6 currently, ok? So my beguiler is looking at 3d6 with whelming blast ( I have never actually used the spell as I have better things to do than attack, but bear with me) our alchemist is doing 1d8 + 1d4 damage, our bard doesn't attack, and the ardent mantle is dropping 35d6 +35 damage and melting people with a destruction mantle. Are they supposed to be this overwhelming strong?

Considering the rest of the party and I are about to throw down, I might need a new character soon. Learning how this class works has multiple benefits lol. I just don't understand how I've never heard of this class if they can pull out such auto-win attacks.

Darrin
2018-03-26, 10:35 AM
35d6, eh? Looks like someone failed a "Decipher Script" roll.

POWER POINT LIMIT

It’s a basic rule that a psionic character can’t spend more power points on a power than he has manifester levels. That power point limit includes any additional costs due to augmentation or the use of metapsionic feats.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-03-26, 11:29 AM
35d6, eh? Looks like someone failed a "Decipher Script" roll.
Yup. People missing the "can't spend more pp than your ml" thing has been responsible for more "overpowered" characters than Polymorph.

Now, to be fair, psionics are great at blasting. At 6th level, you could easily be throwing 6d6+6 with an Energy ___ power, or even more if you take Overchannel. But that's nowhere near 35d6, and it is eating your pp in a hurry.

Karl Aegis
2018-03-26, 03:00 PM
Destruction Mantle can't do 35d6+35 damage. I don't even think psionic classes can do that much before epic levels without some serious shenanigans.

Odessa333
2018-03-27, 07:58 AM
Yes, that limit is quite good to know. I assumed something was off on this, but didn't know what. Still, even with my hired NPC bodyguards, 3 PC's vs 1 PC is never good odds. Who knew they'd object to my wedding so strongly, eh? lol. I might still try out a psionic class as I rarely see the allowed, though again I say it's good to know they are not so unbalanced.