PDA

View Full Version : Cleric Domains: Why you love/hate them?

ToastyTobasco
2018-03-26, 02:51 PM
Started reading into the crazy versatile powerhouse that is the cleric because my buddy wouldnt leave me alone about it. Clerics look great. They can tank, blast, heal, heal better, revive, light necromancy, wreck undead, CC, debuff and other stuff that I probably have missed.

Anyway the biggest choice they get is domains and I see that very few guides or reviews cover all of them and I was curious on everyone's favorite domains and which ones they will never play again.

Edit: Dont forget about Forge, Death and Grave!

CTurbo
2018-03-26, 03:54 PM
I agree the 5e Cleric is one of the strongest most versatile classes. I don't have experiences with all the domains but I can speak to the ones I have seen.

War cleric is REALLY strong at low levels and does lose some steam at higher levels but is still a good tanky domain. True weapon attacking is NEVER going to be the Cleric's strong point considering you're a full caster after all.

Life Cleric is the ultimate healer that can buff and support too while still being capable of dishing out decent damage. Possibly the tankiest domian.

Light Cleric is a bit weird IMO but is still a very capable 2nd tier blaster. Not as tanky as the Heavy Armor domains but still pretty tough. Very strong domain overall. One of the most damaging domains for sure.

Nature Cleric is possibly the greatest at control. Heavy Armor proficiency is weird considering when you think "nature" and metal armor don't really mix. Still a pretty solid domain that can do a little of everything.

Tempest Cleric is my personal favorite. Probably the tankiest domain. Also possibly the most damaging. This domain has some of the most OP features of any class. The ability to max thunder or lightning damage will flat out end some encounters before they can even begin. This is also the funnest character I have played so far of any class.

It's easy to have an AC of 19 or 20 and just sit out near the front line with Spirit Guardians and Spiritual Weapon and just use your "action" to buff, heal, or just dodge while still putting out some decent damage.

Aett_Thorn
2018-03-26, 05:19 PM
A good place to start, since the topic covers a lot of what you're looking for.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?553058-What-s-your-favorite-Cleric-Domain&highlight=favorite+cleric+domain

Marvnmartian
2018-03-26, 06:48 PM
Personally clerics are just life/knowledge cleric 1 level dips for bards imo or maybe a 2 level dip for a forge cleric to make some tools etc.

I just find bards all round with the 1 level dip in cleric better and you can still play as a cleric but in a more versatile mc as bard

blastercaster
2018-03-26, 06:50 PM
I like them a lot because they give very different feels to the same class. Are you more about smashing? Take up the war domain, do you wanna be a heal bot? Life. Righteous smiting? Tempest is right there for you, it also opens up the gates for some choice multiclassing. Like the Barbarian War Cleric.

kardar233
2018-03-26, 08:24 PM
Haven’t played a Cleric yet but super excited about Zeal Domain. Though it comes online a bit late, the combination of Zeal’s knockback ability and Booming Blade (plus possibly Polearm Master+War Caster) looks like a recipe for the thunderous smashing of enemies. Add the prospect of the lovely Spiritual Weapon, the wonderfully synergistic Spirit Guardians (especially with being able to shove people away as they approach, eating all their move), and the sheer loveliness of throwing a Maximized Fireball, I think the Zeal Cleric looks delightful.

Plus it gives me an opportunity to play a fervent, glorious madman.

Level2intern
2018-03-26, 08:47 PM
Haven’t played a Cleric yet but super excited about Zeal Domain. Though it comes online a bit late, the combination of Zeal’s knockback ability and Booming Blade (plus possibly Polearm Master+War Caster) looks like a recipe for the thunderous smashing of enemies. Add the prospect of the lovely Spiritual Weapon, the wonderfully synergistic Spirit Guardians (especially with being able to shove people away as they approach, eating all their move), and the sheer loveliness of throwing a Maximized Fireball, I think the Zeal Cleric looks delightful.

Plus it gives me an opportunity to play a fervent, glorious madman.

Zeal is very broken. I'm running a 13th level tempest cleric and it's pretty broken when I maximize a 7th level call lightning. I can only image a maximized 7th level fireball... you also get war domain's bonus action attack, your knockback works with booming blade for disgusting amounts of synergy, and you get amazing domain spells. It's basically all gas. Blows tempest out of the water, and tempest is very strong.

theCourier
2018-03-27, 12:06 PM
I just like how much variety there is... Though I would have expected more in Xanathar's than just Forge and whichever one the other one was. Actually, I think Forge might be my favorite so far. Really liking the abilities.

ToastyTobasco
2018-03-27, 12:41 PM
I just like how much variety there is... Though I would have expected more in Xanathar's than just Forge and whichever one the other one was. Actually, I think Forge might be my favorite so far. Really liking the abilities.

Grave is the other one in Xanathar's. Both of them look really fun to play. The next character I play will be a Forge Cleric though. I was really surprised it doesnt get martial proficiency though

jaappleton
2018-03-27, 02:16 PM
A good place to start, since the topic covers a lot of what you're looking for.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?553058-What-s-your-favorite-Cleric-Domain&highlight=favorite+cleric+domain

Who the heck would dedicate a whole topic just to Clerics?!

>_>

Anyways...

If anything is allowed? I love the Ambition domain from Plane Shift: Amonkhet. It’s a lot like Trickery but gets Potent Cantrip and Warding Flare from Light Domain.

Strictly legal material?

Light Clerics themselves can cover so many bases, it’s ridiculous. You’re in Medium Armor with a shield, so after Half Plate you’re at 19 AC as a full caster with really no effort. You can heal, Blast, your CD is amazing and ally friendly, and Warding Flare can turn enemy Crits into Misses. You’re kicking ass right out of the box.

That said, with the right combo? Nothing beats Grave.

Ally Spellcaster uses Hold Person / Hold Monster
Grave uses it’s Channel Divinity
Proceed to destroy. Whether a Rogue with Sneak Attack, a Paladin with Smite, or another Caster using Disintegrate, it’s over. That’s it.