PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Warlock invocations and multiclassing

Matrota
2018-03-26, 05:41 PM
I'm building a character for a one-shot this weekend that's starting at level 10, and I wanted to play a multiclassed fighter/warlock. Under the descriptions for many of the warlock invocations, it mentions having a certain level as a prerequisite? Does my total level count for meeting this prerequisite, or only my warlock level. For example, could a fighter 6 / warlock 4 take the improved pact weapon invocation?

georgie_leech
2018-03-26, 05:44 PM
In general, references to levels that are within a class description refer to the level of the class itself, and not total level. So Warlock invocations require a certain number of Warlock levels to take.

bc56
2018-03-26, 05:45 PM
As a DM, I would rule no, only Warlock levels count.
Otherwise, people could multiclass into warlock and get ridiculously strong invocations, like a sorc 13 warlock 2 who just wants master of myriad forms.

Millstone85
2018-03-26, 05:47 PM
More recent versions of the PHB are very clear on this. Warlock levels only.

Vogie
2018-03-26, 06:15 PM
Yes, a Warlock 4 / Anything else X can have Improved pact weapon. You could technically get it at 3.

Sicarius Victis
2018-03-28, 07:35 PM
Yes, a Warlock 4 / Anything else X can have Improved pact weapon. You could technically get it at 3.

No, they can't. It requires Warlock level, not character level.

Kane0
2018-03-28, 07:41 PM
Older printings just say level, errata confirms Warlock level specifically.

Erys
2018-03-28, 09:11 PM
I'm building a character for a one-shot this weekend that's starting at level 10, and I wanted to play a multiclassed fighter/warlock. Under the descriptions for many of the warlock invocations, it mentions having a certain level as a prerequisite? Does my total level count for meeting this prerequisite, or only my warlock level. For example, could a fighter 6 / warlock 4 take the improved pact weapon invocation?

As many have pointed out, you only count your warlock level when determining access to invocations.

BUT, Vogie is also right. The only pre-req to get Improved Pact Weapon is the Pact of the Blade feature. So when you reach third you can swap out one of your existing invo's for that one.

Vogie
2018-03-28, 10:28 PM
No, they can't. It requires Warlock level, not character level.

It's a good thing that Improved Pact Weapon doesn't have a level requirement, natch? The only requirement is Pact of the Blade, so the only reason you wouldn't be able to get it immediately is if the DM has some sort of Quest you must complete to get your Pact Boon. You could either a) Not choose a 2nd invocation at level 2, then pick it at 3; or b) swap the invocation out at level 3 after you gain your pact of the blade boon.

bid
2018-03-28, 11:20 PM
For example, could a fighter 6 / warlock 4 take the improved pact weapon invocation?
A warlock 3 could take it.
But for future reference: anything in the Classes chapter uses the class level.

With the exceptions stated in the MC section, each class is independent: you are a fighter 6 and have all its features, but you also are a warlock 4 with all its features. Being one does not impact the other.

Sicarius Victis
2018-03-30, 06:04 PM
It's a good thing that Improved Pact Weapon doesn't have a level requirement, natch? The only requirement is Pact of the Blade, so the only reason you wouldn't be able to get it immediately is if the DM has some sort of Quest you must complete to get your Pact Boon. You could either a) Not choose a 2nd invocation at level 2, then pick it at 3; or b) swap the invocation out at level 3 after you gain your pact of the blade boon.

I was AFB and just going from memory, so I hadn't realized that. Thanks for pointing it out.