PDA

View Full Version : How many dice sets do you own? (Die, Dice?)

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-03-26, 09:26 PM
Well, how many sets anyway?

I DM sometime and am up to about a dozen sets plus a bunch of random D6's. Really I have 100's of D6's as I own soo many versions of the regular Axis & Allies board games plus the War at Sea naval miniatures game requires you to roll up to 18 or so D6's at a time so I own a few sets of 20 miniature D6's.

Laserlight
2018-03-26, 09:32 PM
d4: about 8, mostly eight sided because pyramids don't roll
d6: roughly 200, mostly in sets of 36, but I have some from the Avalon Hill games I bought in the 70s, and three handmade iron dice from a castle smithy in the Czech Republic.
d8: 5
d10: roughly 30
d12: 4
d20: 10 or so

Blood of Gaea
2018-03-26, 09:34 PM
Yes, I own all the dice.

EvilAnagram
2018-03-26, 09:50 PM
My dice bag has 12 complete sets of dice (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, percentile). I sort all 84 dice every time I play.

I also have a travel set, a set of 36d6, and a set of 16d6.

Oh, and a set of five wooden d6 from Mali. They kill PCs.

Xihirli
2018-03-26, 10:04 PM
I've got my dice right here. I'll count them now because I have nothing better to do with my life.

d4s: 15
d6s: 32
d8s: 17
d10s: 16
%d10s: 17
d12s: 17
d20s: 17

((%d10s distinguishes the tens' place d10s from the ones' place d10s.))

So I think I got 17 dice sets and a bunch of d6s then lost some d4s and a d10.

Blacky the Blackball
2018-03-27, 03:25 AM
When my FLGS was closing down, the owner had an "everything must go" sale. I bought the entire display case of Chessex dice for £10.

I don't remember the exact number of dice I have, but it's a few hundred.

DarkKnightJin
2018-03-27, 04:25 AM
7 full sets of polydice for me.
Which should be enough to last me a while. Though I might splurge and get a fancy dicebag and 3 more sets, to round the whole thing out to 10 sets..

Asmotherion
2018-03-27, 04:42 AM
No idea.

I have 4 complete sets, and then I have multiple d20s I bought alone (were not part of a set).

If I really look into it, I will find a good 100d6, more or less, including the ones from board games etc.

For the other dice, I have at least one copy of each die that forms a "custom set", and I'm not sure how many I have here and there that are not single copies.

I used not to look after my things so much in the past, so now I may have lost a die or two during sessions.

Spacehamster
2018-03-27, 04:49 AM
D6 probably between 100-150
All other types around 20-30 each

oxybe
2018-03-27, 05:07 AM
I bought one of those "pound of dice" a while back and traded some of the more gaudy individual dice with the store (they have a lost dice box, you can buy them or just swap one dice for one you own) to have what is effectively two sets (1d20, 1d100, 1d12, 1d10, 1d8, 1d4, 2d6) of black dice and one set of white dice. I also have a proper set of FFG Genesys dice for our star wars game (which is basically 4d6, 4d12, 6d8 with their custom symbols). I also have a few other solid on solid d10's for WoD.

This setup has worked fine for me, though I'm largely moving towards electronic rollers as floor dice are a pain on my knees.

nickl_2000
2018-03-27, 06:43 AM
I have 5 complete sets. 4 that I switch between as one set gets annoying to me and rolls horribly, and then there is the "pink dice of shame" that is pulled out to given to whichever of us at the table can't make a single skill check/attack roll that night

Oh and about 20 or so other dice in a container that my kids like the play with. They love the d100 that I bought when I was 15 and didn't realize how annoying d100s are to use and read and the d30 that I've literally never used in a game.

Afrodactyl
2018-03-27, 06:45 AM
I personally own four sets, so four of each die, including a games workshop scatter die.

As a group, between us we probably have about 50 sets of each.

the_brazenburn
2018-03-27, 06:50 AM
I've got two full sets, but I lost the d20s out of each about a week ago.

I'll have to order a new set online.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-03-27, 06:50 AM
I have 5 full sets of dice and 3 sets that are missing a few (due to a kitten). One set for each person in the party.

EvilAnagram
2018-03-27, 07:37 AM
7 full sets of polydice for me.
Which should be enough to last me a while. Though I might splurge and get a fancy dicebag and 3 more sets, to round the whole thing out to 10 sets..

I had very similar thoughts, but then I realized that I did not like the number ten. It is an ugly thing, difficult to evenly distribute. That's why I bought two more and brought it up to twelve sets in my dice bag. It's much better that way. I can divide my dice into the seven kinds, then divide those into four groups based on elemental affinity.

snowman87
2018-03-27, 07:55 AM
I only have 2 full sets of dice, my very first set and one that I thought looked amazing. I had a 3rd set that I also liked the look of but they did not roll well so I gave them away. I'm not the kind to buy dozens or hundreds of the things. 2 sets is plenty for me.

hymer
2018-03-27, 08:00 AM
I think I could must a dozen of any of the regular dice. I recently bought some extras to fill in for some lost d4s and d8s in particular.

nickl_2000
2018-03-27, 08:20 AM
I only have 2 full sets of dice, my very first set and one that I thought looked amazing. I had a 3rd set that I also liked the look of but they did not roll well so I gave them away. I'm not the kind to buy dozens or hundreds of the things. 2 sets is plenty for me.

I had 2 sets for a long time, before I came back to play 5e. Then I came back and couldn't find my dice bag so bought 3 sets off of amazon (cheaper to buy 3 than 2 sets). Then I found my dice bag to add more sets in, then my wife bought a full set at a garage sale for 10 cents (hard to pass that up)

BloodOgre
2018-03-27, 09:12 AM
I have more complete sets of dice than I am willing to admit to my wife. I have a few dice sets in their own pouches in case someone forgets their dice and needs to borrow a set. It has come in handy. And I have both crystal and 8-sided d4s. A crap-ton of miscellaneous dice a ton of Yahtzee d6s, and a d8 out of the original D&D box set from the 70s (It looks like it's been rolled down a canyon, but the numbers are legible).

Rogerdodger557
2018-03-27, 09:15 AM
Too many, but not enough.

AureusFulgens
2018-03-27, 09:44 AM
I have five sets of proper D&D dice, each one bought for a special occasion.

A green and gold set, my first, chosen to match my paladin's armor.
A green/black and pinkish-rainbow set, chosen for the fey-based campaign I was running.
A second set of green with gold lettering, bought with a few extra dollars from a Barnes and Noble gift card.
And a set that is either blue or purple depending on the light, which I got at a Games & Stuff because it looked awesome.

I keep three of them in my chain mail dice bag (a Secret Santa gift from one of my co-players), and one of them permanently resides in the backpack I carry everywhere *just in case*. (Because there's always the chance that D&D could just HAPPEN in any given situation, right? I hope so.)

This number of sets will probably increase the next time I have particularly poor impulse control. Sometimes I think about commemorating each new campaign I run and character I play with a new set, which means I'll need to find a rainbow-colored or red/green/gold set for the campaign I'm currently running.

Beyond that, there are probably a bunch of d6's from other games kicking around my house, and I own a bizarre game called Dicecapades that contains either 6 or 8 of each die type.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-03-27, 09:48 AM
Nice to know a good number of you all own more than you need also. It enables me!

I forgot to mention. I have these 3 inch hard foam D6's the kids play with I bring along sometime. Probably my favorite one is this soft foam 3 inch D20. It rolls in slow motion I tell you. It is so dramatic and funny to watch it slowly tumble from a 20 to a 3 or vice versa!

Someday I'll probably have to test it to see if it rolls reliably neutral before it is used for anything too high stakes.

mgshamster
2018-03-27, 10:00 AM
I've got a bucket of random dice that I pull out whenever we need lots of dice or if a player forgot their own. And then on top of the that I've got around 15 complete matching sets of dice.

Blood of Gaea
2018-03-27, 11:30 AM
Nice to know a good number of you all own more than you need also. It enables me!

I forgot to mention. I have these 3 inch hard foam D6's the kids play with I bring along sometime. Probably my favorite one is this soft foam 3 inch D20. It rolls in slow motion I tell you. It is so dramatic and funny to watch it slowly tumble from a 20 to a 3 or vice versa!

Someday I'll probably have to test it to see if it rolls reliably neutral before it is used for anything too high stakes.
Put the die in a glass of water. Whichever side floats up is the lightest side, and therefore more likely to show up on that die.

theCourier
2018-03-27, 12:03 PM
I currently own... just a red and blue d20. I really need to order a whole pound of dice or something, soon.

GlenSmash!
2018-03-27, 12:06 PM
I got a big bag off of amazon a while back. It had 111 dice. It seems sufficient.

Finback
2018-03-27, 11:00 PM

Too many, and not enough, aka the Gamer's Paradox. Applies to dice, games, miniatures..

Finback
2018-03-27, 11:03 PM
Oh, someone already noted it.

Well, in terms of actual numbers:

Probably at least 20 full sets of polyhedrals, although one of those sets is missing a d4 (am chasing that up with d20collective).
Two sets each of the fancy Fighter and Mage dice sets from KS, which has the set of d4/d6/d8/d10s/d12/d20, but also stuff like d2s and d3s
A tonne of spin-downs from Magic, which I've since relegated to another bag as just for counters

And a d30 and a d50, just in case.

nickl_2000
2018-03-28, 06:38 AM
...And a d30 and a d50, just in case.

Have you ever found a need for either of them? Because I've had a d30 for at least 15 years and never once used it in a game (or needed it when I didn't have it)

KorvinStarmast
2018-03-28, 09:17 AM
I have a lot of dice. Two blue Seagram's Crown Royal bags full of them. Not gonna count them.

guachi
2018-03-28, 09:32 AM
I have about 30 sets of dice (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, 2xd20)

I only use about 12 of them, all Gamescience dice. Because they are the best and I can color them in with a crayon like you're supposed to do with dice. The sharp edges are much prettier than the rounded edges of other dice.

Chaosmancer
2018-03-28, 01:12 PM
I probably have about 6 to 8 full sets, it depends on how many d4s I have, since they are my lowest number.

I know I have about 50 d10s (including % dice) because I was running a d10 pool game called Cold Steel Wardens a few years back and since few people I knew carried more than 1 or 2 I needed to make up the difference.

Honestly, that's why I have most of my dice. In case I need to provide for the majority of a table because people forgot their own or haven't bought any yet

Finback
2018-04-02, 11:04 PM
Have you ever found a need for either of them? Because I've had a d30 for at least 15 years and never once used it in a game (or needed it when I didn't have it)

The d50 I got with a ks that had an entire book of Random Tables, so I do use it to generate treasure lists, etc. The d30 I mostly used to use as a spindown for MtG, but I find I use it sometimes now as a shorthand for falling damage (eg it's 3d10. If they roll a 1 or 2, I doubt that was going to kill the player anyway)

Wampyr
2018-04-02, 11:11 PM
I have about 100 dice sets. Most of them haven’t left the basement in a long time.

Arkhios
2018-04-02, 11:16 PM
I always buy my dice in sets. You never know when you might need multiple dX for convenience's sake.

I think I have around 15 complete sets, give or take a few dice lost and found.

Of course, one of those sets included 24(?) x d6, which makes my dice bag extra bulgy and sometimes a little difficult to handle (must find a bigger one, obviously!)

Wryte
2018-04-02, 11:27 PM
I have 10 complete sets for my personal use, as well as a few floaters of different sides. I take a peek at the dice sets at my local hobby store whenever I'm in there, and buy one whenever a color scheme catches my eye.

I also bought two cheapo packages of 6 sets each online back in December, as I'd started DMing for a table of first time players who didn't have their own dice (or anything else, for that matter). I gave each of them a set from that bundle, and have 4 left over that I carry as loaners.