PDA

View Full Version : Need help for Jade Phoenix Mage and Swiftblade

Snake Eater
2018-03-26, 09:30 PM
So, my group will be starting another 3e campaign, and I need some help. I saw two prestige classes that I, frankly, love-the Jade Phoenix Mage and the Swiftblade. These'll be two separate characters, but I'd like them both to have a good amount of survivability. They both look like they'll make for good gishes, so I'd like to keep them to that theme as well (but, of course, they don't have to be). I'd like to get into these prestige classes as soon as possible, and would like to build characters that adhere to their themes as much as possible. The DM is unsure if we'll be starting at fifth or third level, so I think I'll make them third level just to be safe. The list of currently allowed materials are provided here.
DMG+DMGII and PHB+PHBII (of course)
Magic of Faerun
Complete Mage
Complete Arcane
Sandstorm
Book of Vile Darkness
Draconomicon
Faiths of Eberron
Eberron Campaign Setting
Fiendish Codex II (unsure why we aren't including the first one)
Unearthed Arcana
Player's Guide to Faerun
Tome of Battle
Drow of the Underdark
The DM is willing to allow one more book, too.

The Viscount
2018-03-27, 10:24 PM
The fastest way into Swiftblade has several options depending on your preference, but I don't know of any means that takes less than 6 levels.
Entry via wizard or wu jen requires 5 levels to get haste as a 3rd. The one level after this can be spent in any class that you like, provided it increases your BA by 1. It's your choice whether you want to stay in your original class for more casting, or dip into a full BA class (any of which will grant you a martial weapon). You might simply spend a feat on martial weapon proficiency, or you can be an elf, who gets bonus martial weapon proficiency.
Sorcerer or Beguiler would need 6 levels straight to get the casting necessary. Beguiler gives you a martial proficiency.
Sha'ir would also qualify you in 6 levels, but it's confusing to me so I can't fully recommend it.
In terms of lists, Beguiler sort of like a spontaneous version of a wizard focusing in illusion and enchantment. Wu jen is like a simplified wizard, focused on blasting, with a few exclusive spells of their own. Body Outside Body on a Swiftblade could make for some very interesting combat.

Jade Phoenix Mage could theoretically be qualified for as a single-class caster spending all of their feats on Martial Study and Martial Stance, but this would be rather a headache in terms of refreshing, so I'd advise against it. That would be a 6 level entry.

Depending on your table's interpretation of how Favored and Primary Contact work (this would require adding Cityscape to your list of books) you might be able to enter Jade Phoenix Mage using only 5 class levels, selecting an Arcane guild. With Precocious Apprentice, you could reduce your qualifying down to 1 level of a caster, and 4 levels of any initiator. (You'd technically only need 1 level of initiator to fulfill the prerequisites, but having a higher initiator level means access to higher level maneuvers from Jade Phoenix Mage. Duskblade and Warblade both have Int focus and concentration so make a good choice. Duskblade also has lots of spell slots for Jade Phoenix Mage's Class features. Duskblade's very gishy already, and to get the most out of its casting I'd recommend 3 levels in it and the rest in Warblade (Duskblade levels first for the increase in initiator level even though they have lower points) so you can use arcane channel. Once you finish Jade Phoenix Mage, either class is good to return to, and you'll have full BA all the way.

lylsyly
2018-03-28, 06:19 AM
I would say 4 levels of duskblade to get casting in medium armor, then 2 levels of warblade, all ten levels of JPM, finishing with 4 more levels of duskblade (or abjurant champion if you have the neccessary abjuration spells).

Chestershire
2018-03-28, 08:28 AM
How many feats are you looking to work with at the beginning, allowed to take any flaws, starting race Human?

I do see that you have Player's guide to Faerun as well, are you allowed to take regional feats?
And would you be allowed to have it Back storied in that you have haste in your list of spells even if you can't technically cast it?

I've also been looking at making a Jade Pheonix-Swiftblade but as a single character, and depending on what you have to work with I have a couple of different things to offer you.

(I don't know too much regarding Jade Phoenix I've just been using it for a 1 level dip for Arcane wrath, but Swiftblade is something I love working with)