PDA

View Full Version : Open Fist Monk, Halfling or V. Human?

KOLE
2018-03-26, 10:31 PM
Hey Playgrounders!

Recently posted a topic asking about Monks and their role in a party in general- as they were the only class I was genuinely confused about. It was a very informative topic that actually sold me on having a monk as my backup! I've put together a few character sheets on the "To Play Eventually" pile, and a lot of them start as a class, archetype, or multiclass I would love to play before I even get to know who the character is. However, this time around I had a very vivid picture of this character before I decided on Monk. And I've decided he's definitely either Human or Halfling. So here's what I'm trying to juggle-

Halfling looks nice for that +2 Dex, and I like the ability to move through creatures a size larger- which since Halflings are small, is almost every common creature. I also like the hide ability. But here's my issue- How big of a hit is that -5 speed to me? Monk seems to live off Kiting- can I still do that at 35' a round?

So that brings me to Human. Obviously, we're talking V. Human, since the MADness of monks means +1 to everything doesn't do much for me. Downside, +1 to Dex and probably Wis instead of +2. Upside, 40' movement without dashing, seems like a really healthy number for kiting.

And of course, a free feat. But is that really worthwhile? All the guides I've been looking at seem to point to ASIs being more critical to Monks than most other classes, because level one you have average AC, and that's directly tied to your Dex and Wis, but Con is also super important because you want all the HP you can get playing behind enemy lines. So is a feat really that useful for a Monk? I've heard Mobile is incredible on a Monk- but does it beat 17 starting Dex?

I'm genuinely torn here. Please educate me one way or the other. I'm particularly interested in two big questions: Is 35' sufficient for kiting as a Halfling? And are their any Feats for Monk that are supremely useful?

Blood of Gaea
2018-03-26, 10:58 PM
Well let's compare the potential stats.

Vhuman:
Str: 8, 10, or 12
Dex: 15+1
Con: 14
Int: 8, 10, or 12
Wis: 13+1
Cha: 8, 10, or 12

Stout Halfing:
Dex: 14 or 15+2
Con: 13+2
Wis: 14 or 15

Vhuman leaves you with rounded out stats, meaning that you can comfortably take full feats and +2ASIs, Halfing leaves you with an odd Dex or Wis score, leaving room for a half feat to bump you to 16 Wis or 18 Dex. Either way, you're not getting to 18 Dex or 16 Wis until at least level 4.

Useful Vhuman feats:
Mobile: Further enhances your monk's mobility, allowing easy kiting of enemies, and you start the game with 50 movement.
Lucky: This feat is great for everyone, you in particular can use it to make your strong abilities stick (like a Stunning Strike) and avoid incoming problems.

Personally, I'd prefer that extra feat over a Halfing's racial abilities.

Spacehamster
2018-03-26, 11:45 PM
Well let's compare the potential stats.

Vhuman:
Dex: 15+1
Con: 14
Wis: 13+1

Stout Halfing:
Dex: 14 or 15+2
Con: 13+2
Wis: 14 or 15

Vhuman leaves you with rounded out stats, meaning that you can comfortably take full feats and +2ASIs, Halfing leaves you with an odd Dex or Wis score, leaving room for a half feat to bump you to 16 Wis or 18 Dex. Either way, you're not getting to 18 Dex or 16 Wis until at least level 4.

Useful Vhuman feats:
Mobile: Further enhances your monk's mobility, allowing easy kiting of enemies, and you start the game with 50 movement.
Lucky: This feat is great for everyone, you in particular can use it to make your strong abilities stick (like a Stunning Strike) and avoid incoming problems.

Personally, I'd prefer that extra feat over a Halfing's racial abilities.

Why not Ghostwise halfling for +2 DEX and +1WIS? :) Leave DEX at 17 and take the squat nimbleness feat for 18 DEX at 4. :)

Blood of Gaea
2018-03-27, 12:06 AM
Why not Ghostwise halfling for +2 DEX and +1WIS? :) Leave DEX at 17 and take the squat nimbleness feat for 18 DEX at 4. :)
That would be another solid option.

Quoz
2018-03-27, 06:35 AM

I love ghostwise for a shadow monk. the innate telepathy for a super stealthy ninja is just such a great fit for the theme.

sophontteks
2018-03-27, 06:50 AM
Ghostwise is the competitive option vs. var. human, but if I was going to go halfling, I would pick the drunken master rather then open fist. The drunken master doesn't need the mobility feat and gets +10 speed for kiting. If I was going open palm I would rather go var. human for mobility.

I helped one of my players roll up a Drunken Master halfling and he's pretty good stuff. I'm not advocating for you to do this, but I think this Monastic tradition does a better job with the halfling racial traits by doubling down on the luck, compensating for lack of speed, and not provoking opportunity on opponents you move through.